0W-40 Mobil 1 reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
M1 0w-40 is the finest 30 weight oil spec'd in some of the most expensive and exotic engines by OEM's worldwide.

But where is the proof it is any better than another syn? Here is an oil that claims 4x the wear protection of M1:

4 times the wear protection of M1:
http://www.valvoline.com/synpower-wearpr...wer%2Bpromotion

But IMO, it is just advertising. No different than when M1 says whatever it is they say on their site.

Yes, but what they fail to mention is that it's an EP test, NOT a motor oil test. Grease and gear oil testing is what this machine is used for from what I've read.

Quote:
ASTM D 2509 Document Information:

Title
Standard Test Method for Measurement of Load-Carrying Capacity of Lubricating Grease (Timken Method)

ASTM International

Publication Date:
May 10, 2003

Scope:

This test method covers the determination of the load-carrying capacity of lubricating greases by means of the Timken Extreme Pressure Tester.

The values stated in SI units are to be regarded as the standard. The values given in parentheses are for information only.

This standard does not purport to address all of the safety concerns, if any, associated with its use. It is the responsibility of the user of this standard to establish appropriate safety and health practices and determine the applicability of regulatory limitations prior to use. For specific warning statements, see 7.1, 7.2, and 9.4.

Basically makes the results of this "study" meaningless!!!

Originally Posted By: heathenbrewing
M1 0w-40 is the finest 30 weight oil spec'd in some of the most expensive and exotic engines by OEM's worldwide.

But where is the proof it is any better than another syn? Here is an oil that claims 4x the wear protection of M1:

4 times the wear protection of M1:
http://www.valvoline.com/synpower-wearpr...wer%2Bpromotion

But IMO, it is just advertising. No different than when M1 says whatever it is they say on their site.

M1 states that their oils are the most frequently chosen by OEM's. They have no comparisons to their competition on their site.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
M1 states that their oils are the most frequently chosen by OEM's. They have no comparisons to their competition on their site.

My point is both are forms of advertising.

My point is both are forms of advertising.

Yep. Nothing wrong with advertising your product.

But where is the proof it is any better than another syn?

There is none. There are plenty of oils that can perform as good or better than M1 0w-40. They just can't jump through all the hoops that M1 0w-40 does in the alpha-numeric soup that the OEM'S puke out. Delvac 1 could probably blow it away by just STOMPING on all the dainty little narrow blockades that the OEM'S construct. It's a nimble sharp shooter ...any megaton monster can trump it.
21.gif

It's excellence in specification management. Sorta like the licenses and prerequisites you need to pay an ante toward before you can practice a discipline.

"If there's ever anything I can do for you ..or, more directly, to you, please let me know".

"Can you pound a 10D spike into a 2x4 with your (censored)"?

"Not yet".

"A girl has to have her standards".
21.gif

The fact that something is "factory-fill" means little more than cross marketing (usually paid for by the refiner/blender) and that the oil meets the minimum lubrication standards for the engine.

So if XOM bulk conventional oil is the factory fill for many cars, it must be really wonderful and I'll have to use it in my marine V-8s?

The next time some lemming uses the lame "factory-fill" argument to extol the qualitative performance of an oil, I think I'm going to throw up.

[My rant is now over]

M1 0w-40 is good oil, but is not a 40 weight for most of its life. Delvac 1 is a better oil where a 40 weight that stays a 40 is needed. This guy's builder specified a 40 or 50 weight.

Moreover, the more I think about it, this is a field built engine, so perhaps the OP should be holding off from any G-IV or V synthetic for a little while to allow a better break in: Valvoline racing 20w-50 or RTS 5w-40 during the colder months for the first OCI.

There are plenty of oils that can perform as good or better than M1 0w-40. They just can't jump through all the hoops that M1 0w-40 does in the alpha-numeric soup that the OEM'S puke out.

Yeah. The 0w-40 reminds me of a giant swiss army penknife. It is advertised to do about six hundred things. But if genuinely stuck in the woods, I'd rather have a big Ka-Bar.

I may surely have missed it ...but I haven't seen anything other than M1 being promoted as an OEM spec'd oil ..in advertising anyway. I'm sure that XOM doesn't have the market cornered on being an OEM "cheap bulk oil" (sorry - some posters imply that when the say "bulk" as though it's somehow inferior - it annoys me) supplier for their oils ..and yet I don't see other companies promoting "OEM fill in Honda/Toyota/whoever" ...at least to the extent that XOM does for M1.

Again, I may just need to get out more often
21.gif

There is none. There are plenty of oils that can perform as good or better than M1 0w-40. They just can't jump through all the hoops that M1 0w-40 does....

Can you clarify a bit more?

Are you saying that M just has enough money to keep getting tested over and over again when a OEM decides to put up another "hurdle" for oil to "jump" through?

Where can one (or can one may be better) see the results of such tests, besides a mobil website?

I may surely have missed it ...but I haven't seen anything other than M1 being promoted as an OEM spec'd oil ..in advertising anyway.

Of course it isn't advertised. XOM isn't going to spend serious dollars marketing their conventional oils like they do M1. But it's playing the exact same role. That's why the whole "factory-fill" hype is exactly that - hype. It's the "halo" principle.

In the context I used it in, bulk conventional factory fill IS inferior for the application. I would never use bulk fill PCMO in a marine engine. And I wouldn't use many grades of M1, either, even though Corvette, Bentley and Porsche might.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
The fact that something is "factory-fill" means little more than cross marketing (usually paid for by the refiner/blender) and that the oil meets the minimum lubrication standards for the engine.

So if XOM bulk conventional oil is the factory fill for many cars, it must be really wonderful and I'll have to use it in my marine V-8s?

The next time some lemming uses the lame "factory-fill" argument to extol the qualitative performance of an oil, I think I'm going to throw up.

[My rant is now over]

M1 0w-40 is good oil, but is not a 40 weight for most of its life. Delvac 1 is a better oil where a 40 weight that stays a 40 is needed. This guy's builder specified a 40 or 50 weight.

Moreover, the more I think about it, this is a field built engine, so perhaps the OP should be holding off from any G-IV or V synthetic for a little while to allow a better break in: Valvoline racing 20w-50 or RTS 5w-40 during the colder months for the first OCI.

It's not the factory fill argument. It's the manufacturer cert/approval argument, the stuff that Gary alluded to.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
I may surely have missed it ...but I haven't seen anything other than M1 being promoted as an OEM spec'd oil ..in advertising anyway.

Of course it isn't advertised. XOM isn't going to spend serious dollars marketing their conventional oils like they do M1. But it's playing the exact same role. That's why the whole "factory-fill" hype is exactly that - hype. It's the "halo" principle.

In the context I used it in, bulk conventional factory fill IS inferior for the application. I would never use bulk fill PCMO in a marine engine. And I wouldn't use many grades of M1, either, even though Corvette, Bentley and Porsche might.

That's too bad. A lot of I/O's and inboards use bulk PCMO and the engines outlast the useful life of the boat.

My '78 Glastron has had ?????? oil in it since it was new. Merc 888 (Ford 302). Still runs great.

We've run everything from Castrol non-detergent SAE30 to Valvoline 10w40 in our boats (we had 48 of them, ranging from 1920's to 1990's). The ONLY boat that got "special" oil (I put Mobil 1 in it) was our 425HP 312 Inteceptor. And that's because it would rev past 6K at WOT during plane.

I don't ever recall a lubricant-related engine failure.... People forgetting to winterize the engines and the blocks cracking were FAR more common.

That's too bad. A lot of I/O's and inboards use bulk PCMO and the engines outlast the useful life of the boat.

In almost 40 years of boating, I've never seen ANYONE use bulk PCMO in a marine engine.

It's obviously a very different world up your way.

4 ball wear scar test

http://www.searchforparts.com/important_articles/amsoil_is_the_best.php

"...Wouldn't Mobil 1 be suing the AMSOIL company for everything they're worth? I believe they would. In fact, just last year they took Castrol to court regarding statements made by the Castrol company regarding the enhanced engine wear properties of Castrol oil....Interestingly enough, however, not one company is suing AMSOIL over those test results...."

Thats an interesting point. Has mobil ever sued or tried to sue amsoil? I know there are a few dealers here, and figured I might get a good answer.

Cheers!

How do you define best? You either meet specifications, or you don't. Mobil 1 0w40 meets Porsche requirements, which require testing that goes beyond anything you could replicate.

Mobil does not pay companies to use their products. Why did Honda send Mobil a graph that showed how poorly every other synthetic on the market did in deposit testing? Why doesn't Valvoline meet GM4178M or Honda HTO-06? Why is Amsoil only claiming that spec for SSO 0w30?

Any 0w40 will shear. Even when the kinematic viscosity is around 11.5 cSt, the HT/HS is most likely still 3.5. It starts at 3.7 and to meet ACEA A3 it must remain 3.5 during the course of an interval. Obviously a poor running, fuel diluting engine rules that out. See my point though?

Quote:
Can you clarify a bit more?

You've got a very narrow channel to fish through to meet all those spec's. Eliminate a few of them that have nothing to do with "oil performance as a lubricant" ..and there is a much broader field.

Originally Posted By: buster
How do you define best? You either meet specifications, or you don't. Mobil 1 0w40 meets Porsche requirements, which require testing that goes beyond anything you could replicate.

Mobil does not pay companies to use their products. Why did Honda send Mobil a graph that showed how poorly every other synthetic on the market did in deposit testing? Why doesn't Valvoline meet GM4178M or Honda HTO-06? Why is Amsoil only claiming that spec for SSO 0w30?

Any 0w40 will shear. Even when the kinematic viscosity is around 11.5 cSt, the HT/HS is most likely still 3.5. It starts at 3.7 and to meet ACEA A3 it must remain 3.5 during the course of an interval. Obviously a poor running, fuel diluting engine rules that out. See my point though?

Agreed 100%

Last edited:
4 ball wear scar test

http://www.searchforparts.com/important_articles/amsoil_is_the_best.php

"...Wouldn't Mobil 1 be suing the AMSOIL company for everything they're worth? I believe they would. In fact, just last year they took Castrol to court regarding statements made by the Castrol company regarding the enhanced engine wear properties of Castrol oil....Interestingly enough, however, not one company is suing AMSOIL over those test results...."

Thats an interesting point. Has mobil ever sued or tried to sue amsoil? I know there are a few dealers here, and figured I might get a good answer.

Cheers!

It's another grease test, why would XOM care?

The ACEA A3/B4 spec requires an initial HT/HS viscosity of at least 3.5 Centopoise - there is NO HT/HS requirement after the oil is put in service. There is also a "stay in grade" requirement in at least one of the test engines - in the case of a 40wt that means > 12.5 Cst. Keep in mind however none of the Mercedes/Peugeot/VW test engines used in the A3/B4 sequence tests is a gas engine turbo, which is where the 0w-40's shear like crazy.

I'm quite certain the Amsoil ASL and ATM formulations would pass the Honda HTO-06 spec, as would the Series 3000. But it makes no sense to pay to test all these oils when most turbo owners will choose the ultra-premium SSO/0w-30 for this motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back