0w-40 for everything

I get tired of buying jugs and quarts of different oils for different vehicles to get about the right amount for each. I'm wondering whether I can just run 0w-40 Mobil 1 for all of these, just buy jugs and clear out some shelf space:

2016 6.0 vortec 2500hd with 105k miles
65 GTO 505 cid pontiac v8 with mild hydraulic roller
1997 jeep tj 4.0 with 220k miles
1972 k10'with mild flat tappet 396
2007 subaru outback with 4 cyl non turbo and 110k miles
brand new toyota 4runner

currently have all but the toyota and looking to trade subaru in on 4runner in year or two.

Are there any applications on this list where Mobil 1 0w-40 is genuinely a bad choice? I realize there may be incrementally better choices for individual vehicles, but if I run M1 0w-40 in all of these, am I really risking anything?

Yes - you can run 0w-40 for all; obviously not optimized for any one application.
Yes - you are risking a loss of fuel economy, if that matters to you, in the more modern engines.
Yes - there are other single grades that could do just as well, such as 5w-40 or 5w-30.
Yes - you've been here since 2008 and should already know these things.

I’d say my concern would be an application where I do not want a full SAPS oil.
True. It's too bad Supercar 0w40 isn't readily available bc that to me is the perfect all-around oil.

SA .8
HT/HS 3.5
cSt@100C - 12.9

1690377245494.png

I get tired of buying jugs and quarts of different oils for different vehicles to get about the right amount for each. I'm wondering whether I can just run 0w-40 Mobil 1 for all of these, just buy jugs and clear out some shelf space:

2016 6.0 vortec 2500hd with 105k miles
65 GTO 505 cid pontiac v8 with mild hydraulic roller
1997 jeep tj 4.0 with 220k miles
1972 k10'with mild flat tappet 396
2007 subaru outback with 4 cyl non turbo and 110k miles
brand new toyota 4runner

currently have all but the toyota and looking to trade subaru in on 4runner in year or two.

Are there any applications on this list where Mobil 1 0w-40 is genuinely a bad choice? I realize there may be incrementally better choices for individual vehicles, but if I run M1 0w-40 in all of these, am I really risking anything?
The guaranteed HTHS of all 40 weight oils is HTHS >= 3.5 as per the SAE API specs which should provide you with optimal wear protection. Also the thicker oil would reduce any oil burning if you have any.
The Mobil 1 0W-40 has the most cleaning abilities of any Mobil oil, so that should definately be a plus.

The only question mark for me would be the brand new Toyota 4runner.
If it has the Dynamic Force Atkinson style engine you may want to check what viscosities it'speced for in Europe / Australia, as I'm not familiar with that engine.

Personally, I have no plan to ever use 20 weight or thinner oils in any of my vehicles.
Ford realized that 20 weight oil's couldn't protect the Ford timing chains well enough, and Ford specs 5W-30 for many of their new vehicles.

My view is that if it were not for CAFE, the optimal oil viscosity for most vehicles would have been 5W-30.
5W-30 viscosity oils is the only viscosity I plan to use in all my current and future vehicles due to it's stronger HTHS / MOFT.

Last edited:
I’d say my concern would be an application where I do not want a full SAPS oil.
Perhaps you could explain the pros and cons of a full SAPS oil. Would such an oil be acceptable for an older Camry or newer DI engines?

Perhaps you could explain the pros and cons of a full SAPS oil. Would such an oil be acceptable for an older Camry or newer DI engines?
If the oil is not getting into the combustion chamber, full SAPS is not a concern. If the engine is consuming large quantities of oil, a full-SAPS oil will kill the cats quickly; low-SAPS would still consume oil but not poison the cats as quickly.

Back