0w-40 for everything

You’ve got several simultaneous misconceptions going on… from zinc being what an oil needs, to using a zddp additive. You’re always safer using a fully-formulated oil to protect your engine rather than playing backyard chemist.

There are several oils available that will protect even flat-tappet cams without ever needing anything “extra” than what the oil blender put in the container. Amsoil Z-Rod, HPL CK-4 are two great choices. As shown by others, the M1 FS 0w40 is more than capable as well.

Like I said, they are all snake oil except the one that passes the seasonal feelings test here... Check back in a few years and there will be some other take on this.

M1 0W40 has so many different formulations in different markets and changes so often here in the states that I wouldn't assume anything with it. Their paperwork on the product is also full of contradictions.

To be funny, 🤣, not for everything. My Accord probably doesn't have the horsepower to turn over M1 0w40. Currently at a bit over 296k. Knowing me, I would probably run Redline 5w30 as it has a higher hths than M1 0w40 and probably cleans better but costs considerably mas. I think in her older Accord with 600,000 miles id probably run 0w40 RL in the summer to calm the consumption and keep it clean. Tempted to just top off and change filters and quit changing the oil on it.

Like I said, they are all snake oil except the one that passes the seasonal feelings test here... Check back in a few years and there will be some other take on this.

M1 0W40 has so many different formulations in different markets and changes so often here in the states that I wouldn't assume anything with it. Their paperwork on the product is also full of contradictions.
It's a global formulation.

The Phosphorous level (which is what is regarded as important for flat tappet camshaft protection) hasn't changed, regardless of the other formulation changes, because it's a full-SAPS oil, which all have similar levels of phosphorous.

What are these apparent contradictions you speak of?

To be funny, 🤣, not for everything. My Accord probably doesn't have the horsepower to turn over M1 0w40. Currently at a bit over 296k. Knowing me, I would probably run Redline 5w30 as it has a higher hths than M1 0w40 and probably cleans better but costs considerably mas. I think in her older Accord with 600,000 miles id probably run 0w40 RL in the summer to calm the consumption and keep it clean. Tempted to just top off and change filters and quit changing the oil on it.
I run M1 0w-40 in my Mazda 2.5 MZR with ~140k and I noticed no notable difference in responsiveness or anything compared to M1 AFE 0W-20. Consumption seems the same but it never consumed anything anyway.

It's a global formulation.

The Phosphorous level (which is what is regarded as important for flat tappet camshaft protection) hasn't changed, regardless of the other formulation changes, because it's a full-SAPS oil, which all have similar levels of phosphorous.

What are these apparent contradictions you speak of?

I can find SDS and datasheets for this product with at least 3 different formulations, but the SDS and data sheets match on some specs and don't on others, and in some cases, you see a "pick and choose" of numbers from different data sheets appearing in different "combinations" on the SDS. They very obviously have some housekeeping to do with regards to the published paperwork on this product, which would lead me to question what's actually in the bottle. I'd be tempted to perform a VOA before making such a decision.

• Haha
Reactions: 4WD
I can find SDS and datasheets for this product with at least 3 different formulations, but the SDS and data sheets match on some specs and don't on others, and in some cases, you see a "pick and choose" of numbers from different data sheets appearing in different "combinations" on the SDS. They very obviously have some housekeeping to do with regards to the published paperwork on this product, which would lead me to question what's actually in the bottle. I'd be tempted to perform a VOA before making such a decision.
What would you look at on the VOA to determine if it meets the requirements for any specific approval or license listed on the container or the data sheet?

In regards to an SDS, as someone who wrote those for many years (then known as an MSDS) I can tell you I put zero influence on them in terms of predicting future performance of a product. It is not and has never been the purpose of those sheets. Not even close.

Remember, an SDS isn't a recipe, and it's also not a product data sheet. While it might be useful to provide a little bit of insight into the base oil composition, that's about as far as its utility goes.

Mobil is not obligated to ensure that all the Safety Data Sheets are always completely up-to-date and match the specs shown on the PDS. It's not designed, nor required, to show that sort of information accurately about the product, rather, it's there to provide health hazard information in the event of an incident. Whether it shows the correct 100C visc for example, is wholly immaterial.

As far as the PDS's go, the product is a Global product, so the formula (aside from old stock) is the same everywhere. The US datasheets tend to be updated the most quickly, while others, such as the ones for Canada, can lag for years sometimes. So, check the date, see how close it is to the US PDS, that'll let you know how potentially out of date it is. If you get the data from the US website, that is generally the most current.

The only thing a VOA is going to tell you is whether it's the updated API SP version or not. So, unless your application is prone to LSPI and you want to make sure you have low calcium, that's not overly valuable.

Last edited:
Remember, an SDS isn't a recipe, and it's also not a product data sheet. While it might be useful to provide a little bit of insight into the base oil composition, that's about as far as its utility goes.

Mobil is not obligated to ensure that all the Safety Data Sheets are always completely up-to-date and match the specs shown on the PDS. It's not designed, nor required, to show that sort of information accurately about the product, rather, it's there to provide health hazard information in the event of an incident. Whether it shows the correct 100C visc for example, is wholly immaterial.

As far as the PDS's go, the product is a Global product, so the formula (aside from old stock) is the same everywhere. The US datasheets tend to be updated the most quickly, while others, such as the ones for Canada, can lag for years sometimes. So, check the date, see how close it is to the US PDS, that'll let you know how potentially out of date it is. If you get the data from the US website, that is generally the most current.

The only thing a VOA is going to tell you is whether it's the updated API SP version or not. So, unless your application is prone to LSPI and you want to make sure you have low calcium, that's not overly valuable.
waitaminute… you mean a safety document that deals with environmental, health, and fire risks of a product, that’s freely available on the internet isn’t going to disclose millions of dollars worth of IP secrets just so people with too much time on their hands can think they’re getting a leg up on the system? 🤯

Is there an SDS for Kleenex?

waitaminute… you mean a safety document that deals with environmental, health, and fire risks of a product, that’s freely available on the internet isn’t going to disclose millions of dollars worth of IP secrets just so people with too much time on their hands can think they’re getting a leg up on the system? 🤯

When I pull up an SDS that is published as "current" but it appears to have mixed up specifications from 2 different data sheets then we're not really talking about an issue of safety, or health, or IP, we're talking about a sloppy paperwork trail that leaves me wondering... Look, I'm not very good at paperwork either, but I'm also not swimming in mountains of money like Scrooge McDuck. It would seem to that to be legally allowed to take advantage of those millions of dollars worth of IP, to convert that into mountains of profit, one might expect the paperwork to be in order. Maybe that's too much to ask....

On the other hand, enforcement of law and regulation is basically dead in the modern world, everything is just political theatrics anymore.

YES
http://swishusa.com/Products/Media/pdf/29388SDS.pdf
1699693129896.jpg

I wouldn't use it on a brand new 4Runner while it was under warranty. Once the warranty expired, yes.
No biggie. 0 is a 0 if it pumps, it flows. You guys all act like a 0/16 to a 0/40 is as thick as a gear oil. 75/90 gear oil would probably flow in a top fuel dragster considering they run a straight 70wt

Do you run it all year? I would assume that Wisconsin has similar winters to Michigan and this will be the first winter I've had it in my vehicles. Both call for 5w20 from the factory. 5.7L Hemi, 3.7L Jeep.

Back