Mobil 1 0W-40 Supercar vs Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP

I just bought a 2024 Escalade V. It has a variant of the LT4. Cadillac states that it takes 0W-40 Dexos 2 (ESP) oil. While I have just sent a message to Mobil 1 via their web-site on this question, I'm trying to understand the differences (formula-wise) between these oils. Some on the internet are saying that ESP has now been renamed Supercar. I'm curious if anyone on this esteemed forum knows anything about the oil(s). Many who have LT4s in Camaros & Black Wings have switched to Supercar. Obviously - I'm not tracking an Escalade; I just want the best oil for it - and need to understand the differences here (if there are any - and it isn't just a name change as many indicate). Both oils are still shown on the Mobil 1 web-site. Thanks.

There is a transition taking place right before our eyes. Mobil-1 ESP X3 presently meets DEXOS 2. Mobil-1 Supercar presently meets DEXOS R. Here's a statement from General Motors regarding the transition of their DEXOS specifications in the coming years:

GM dexos 2 is being discontinued in 2025 and replaced by GM dexos D and GM dexos R. Vehicles equipped with diesel engines that used GM dexos 2 engine oil will use GM dexos D licensed engine oils, while vehicles equipped with gasoline engines will use GM dexos R licensed engine oils of the of the appropriate viscosity grade at their next oil change.

So, it appears that you're a prime customer for either Mobil-1 X3 ESP 0W40 OR Mobil-1 0W40 Supercar. Once the X3 ESP is retired you'll be asking for DEXOS R rated Mobil-1 Supercar 0W40 exclusively.

If I owned some fancy hot rod I'd make my new years resolution to start using Mobil 1 Supercar 0W40 exclusively. Leave the X3 ESP for the tractors and farm equipment. :)

Last edited:
I run Mobil 1 Supercar formula in all my GM vehicles with the LT4 in it. I have a 2023 Escalade V, 2022 CT5-V Blackwing and a 2019 C7/Z06. They all call for the same oil. The ESP hasn’t been made for awhile and then they went to the X3 packaging. According to Mobil 1 and GM, the oil is the same. They just changed the packaging to Supercar. Your dealer will have the correct Supercar oil formula for your car.

There is a transition taking place right before our eyes. Mobil-1 ESP X3 presently meets DEXOS 2. Mobil-1 Supercar presently meets DEXOS R. Here's a statement from General Motors regarding the transition of their DEXOS specifications in the coming years:

GM dexos 2 is being discontinued in 2025 and replaced by GM dexos D and GM dexos R. Vehicles equipped with diesel engines that used GM dexos 2 engine oil will use GM dexos D licensed engine oils, while vehicles equipped with gasoline engines will use GM dexos R licensed engine oils of the of the appropriate viscosity grade at their next oil change.

So, it appears that you're a prime customer for either Mobil-1 X3 ESP 0W40 OR Mobil-1 0W40 Supercar. Once the X3 ESP is retired you'll be asking for DEXOS R rated Mobil-1 Supercar 0W40 exclusively.

If I owned some fancy hot rod I'd make my new years resolution to start using Mobil 1 Supercar 0W40 exclusively. Leave the X3 ESP for the tractors and farm equipment. :)
ESP X3 is the Porsche oil. It’s not going anywhere until X4 replaces it and one of the XOM engineers told me it’s pretty much their top offering for a street car. I don't think Dexos2 was a really important design target for that oil. Maybe for Opel use or something. The test program engines were things like the VW/Bentley W12, Audi V8/V10, Porsche 9A1, etc.

Last edited:
I run Mobil 1 Supercar formula in all my GM vehicles with the LT4 in it. I have a 2023 Escalade V, 2022 CT5-V Blackwing and a 2019 C7/Z06. They all call for the same oil. The ESP hasn’t been made for awhile and then they went to the X3 packaging. According to Mobil 1 and GM, the oil is the same. They just changed the packaging to Supercar. Your dealer will have the correct Supercar oil formula for your car.
ESP X3 is not the same as Supercar and former vanilla ESP. ESP X3 is higher HTHS and slightly higher ZDDP among other invisible changes. ESP X3 is the Porsche oil.

ESP X3 is not the same as Supercar and former vanilla ESP. ESP X3 is higher HTHS and slightly higher ZDDP among other invisible changes. ESP X3 is the Porsche oil.
I got bad info and I was pretty sure I was right on that topic as well. Mobil 1 went from ESP 0W-40 to Mobil 1 Supercar 0W-40. It’s great oil and it’s track rated under the Dexos R designation. I even run the Supercar formula in my 23 TRX and 23 Charger Hellcat Red Eye. I may be switching the Hellcat engines over to Amsoil as I am reading that the Hellcat engines are hard on oil.

ESP X3 is the Porsche oil. It’s not going anywhere until X4 replaces it
You're absolutely correct. I misspoke in my previous post and should have stated that "once the Dexos 2 is retired" as opposed to my incorrect statement "once the X3 ESP is retired".

Thanks for pointing this out.

What is clear to me via all of the replies (and going back to look at the spec in the owners manual, yet again) is that I need to run M1 0W-40 Supercar. I'm one of the weirdos who changes at 750-900 miles initially, then at 4K miles, and about every 4K after that. I don't care if it is overkill, wasting money, etc. On my tombstone I've told my family to have engraved, "There is no kill like overkill"...

Last edited:
What is clear to me via all of the replies (and going back to look at the spec in the owners manual, yet again) is that I need to run M1 0W-40 Supercar. I'm one of the weirdos who changes at 750-900 miles initially, then at 4K miles, and about every 4K after that. I don't care if it is overkill, wasting money, etc. On my tombstone I've told my family to have engraved, "There is no kill like overkill"....
Not weird … But have you posted a picture ?

What is clear to me via all of the replies (and going back to look at the spec in the owners manual, yet again) is that I need to run M1 0W-40 Supercar. I'm one of the weirdos who changes at 750-900 miles initially, then at 4K miles, and about every 4K after that. I don't care if it is overkill, wasting money, etc. On my tombstone I've told my family to have engraved, "There is no kill like overkill"...
I understand the need of Supercar but the ESP X3 is a High Temp/High Sheer w/many approvals. The add pack is the same on phosphorus & zinc between either one of them. It may be the exact same oil in the bottle though. 🤷‍♂️

Does anyone have any insight into why the ESP 0W-40 X3 is "only" API SN+, but not API SP? Especially since the ESP 5W-30 is API SP.

Does anyone have any insight into why the ESP 0W-40 X3 is "only" API SN+, but not API SP? Especially since the ESP 5W-30 is API SP.
Probably because Porsche doesn’t care about SP and the oil is primarily a Euro oil. It has lower calcium so it’s probably fine for LSPI and the other SP may not exceed VW/MB/Porsche standards. There is a PDF of a new X4 oil that has SP that was floating around. I’m sure it takes a long time to test and qualify a new oil for Porsche factory fill.

ESP 0w-40 doesn't meet API SP phosphorus limits & Euro standards allow higher amounts. While ESP 5w-30 Does meet SP phosphorus limits. That's why. :)

ESP 0w-40 doesn't meet API SP phosphorus limits & Euro standards allow higher amounts. While ESP 5w-30 Does meet SP phosphorus limits. That's why. :)
SP has no limit for 40 grades. M1 0w-40 FS SP has 900 ppm of phosphorus. ESP X3 has like 880 ppm or something it’s almost FS levels.

SP has no limit for 40 grades. M1 0w-40 FS SP has 900 ppm of phosphorus. ESP X3 has like 880 ppm or something it’s almost FS levels.

Mobil adds 800 phosphorus on the 5w-30 ESP & I think that's right on the 40 grades. I've seen some over 800 on a 40 & still qualified for an SP. Not sure why they didn't do SP on the 40. 🤷‍♂️

Back