Good shotgun for home defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My "house gun" is a 12 ga Maverick Model 88, made by Mossberg, the safety is a button on the trigger guard instead of the sliding switch at the top rear receiver as on the Mossbergs. Since I grew up shooting pumpguns with trigger-guard safeties, I much prefer the safety there.

This gun has a black plastic full stock(w/recoil pad, thank goodness!
grin2.gif
) & pump handle/forearm, 20" cylinder bore barrel w/3" chamber, full length magazine tube, capacity 7 + 1 with 2 3/4" shells. The receiver is bright aluminum with a clearcoat, and the barrel & magazine tube are what Mossberg/Maverick calls "MarineKote"(spelling?), a bright silver paint/powdercoat. I bought it used(still looks near-new), maybe 15 years ago, with about $45 in ammunition included, paid $120 total. It's a real attention-getter, that's for sure.
wink.gif

I keep 00 buck in it, because it's on hand- lots of it! Some came with the gun, a couple years later got lots more on closeout when the "Bud's" stores folded. Most of it is short magnum(12 pellets), some is 3"(15 pellets)- and let me tell you, that 3" 00 Buck is a real attention getter at the shoulder end!
crazy2.gif
Way too much for house duty, IMO.

If I was gonna go out & buy some ammo specifically for house duty, I'd get standard 12 ga #1 buck. Your preference may vary.

And BTW- someone I know, a retired Texas DPS trooper, saw it a few years ago, & thought it was a near-perfect home defense shotgun. He told me, "When you get out the shotgun, you want 'em to *Know* you have a shotgun- and that big silver sumb***h will do just fine!" I keep a 5-loop elastic shell sleeve on the stock, with an extra 5 fresh rounds in it. Someday I'd like follow his advice & get a full length bandolier sling for it, with shell-loops from the toe of the stock to the end of the magazine- that should hold about a full box of shells! Something about getting the biggest "Oh Sh*t!" factor out of it.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: farrarfan1

you don't even have to aim. Just point it in the general area of the bad guy, and you can't miss", does not know what they are talking about.

You can very easily miss with a shotgun. You must aim to hit your target.
I agree. I shoot clays and miss ocasionally.

I have 3 guns. My clays gun is a Mossberg 500 "Crown grade". It's a nicer version of the standard Mossy 500.

I reciently won a Remington 1100. I was thinking of using it for home protection but it's too hard to load and since it's an auto it does not make the Shuck, Shuck noise that scares away all but the really stupid criminals.

My home protection gun is an old Hi-Standard 12G. I paid $50 for it at a local pawn shop in really great condition. It loads easily int he dark and is a pump gun. The barrel is a little too long if your playing Rambo in the house.

1st shot is 7.5 bird shot. If that does not work the next 3 are double 00 Buck. I live on 10 acres and am not concerned about shooting someone on the other side of a wall since there ain't nobody there.

I did have 3 guys try to sneak up here once at night. They pulled into my driveway in an old truck. Shut it off and sat there. I yelled for them to leave from behind a cement wall and they did. They parked down the road and tried to sneak up on foot. My driveway patrol picked all 3 up as they were walking back here.

Once into the yard I could hear them talking about "Do it" "let's do it now" and "just come on dude" Whatever they were planning on doing.

I racked the gun and shot it about 20ft over their head.

They calmly told me that they were "just leaving" and calmly walked back down the driveway.

WAAAY back in '92? When Slick went national, he came out with a list of things that made a shotgun "bad". Pistol grip,extended mag capacity, etc.

Kinda used that as a shoping list. Plus bayonet mount!!!,ghost ring sights,bbl heat shroud,side of receiver shell carrier, assault style sling, extended loading gate release (this was on a Rem 1100 semi auto), extended bolt handle, pressure switched bbl mounted flashlight, and probably a few wazzzzis that I've forgotten.

GUARONTEEE this was the "baddest" shotgun this side of the old "Street sweeper" rotaty mag guns. Sold it the other day to a buddy for $450. Had that many aftermarket parts on it.

Wish I had a pic of it with the Bayonet mounted! Pretty sure that any use, even in obvious self defence would have landed me in the psych ward,,if not in prison.
blush.gif

Bob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back