PCC vs Shotgun for home defense

One has been gaining a foothold in the market for self defense in the home, and the other is a classic. Personally I have both, which are a CZ Scorpion carbine, and a Mossberg 590a1, 20 inch by the bed.

Running and reloading a shotgun properly is hard to do, and many do not lack the skills to employ the weapon at close ranges quickly, but still hold firm that it is best for self defense.

Others opt for a PCC due to accuracy and ammo capacity.

Opinions?

Are there others in the house? Kids in other rooms? While one has to still be very careful with direction of fire the shotgun will be somewhat less penetrating of walls.

However, a 30rd stick of self defence 9mm on a platform that is easy to mount a light and red dot would have me feeling more warm in fuzzy especially in the event of a aggressive attacker or a situation with multiple threats.

Also the PCC will be more manoeuvrable and much more controllable during a engagement which counts for something.

I’ve actually competed in PCC matches and my advice if considering a PCC for HD would be to make very sure it’s reliable. I would want to have a minimum of 2-3k rounds through it before I consider it for HD and I would spend enough time doing handling and manipulation drills so that operating it is second nature.

Just my opinion.

Running and reloading a shotgun properly is hard to do, and many do not lack the skills to employ the weapon at close ranges quickly, but still hold firm that it is best for self defense.

Others opt for a PCC due to accuracy and ammo capacity.

Opinions?
Running and reloading during home defense?
I'm having trouble envisioning this.

Running and reloading during home defense?
I'm having trouble envisioning this.
right so that is one of my points.........shotguns are hungry, and eat a bunch per bite.... I would say the average shotggun, from which one would use for defense would have 5 rounds capacity in the magazine. So one discipline that must be learned is reloading, and reloading while in motion, and or in postures that are less than comfortable........is what I mean.

I don’t own either, so it is hard for me to envision employing either.

But if I were to buy one with that intent - PCC. Higher capacity, lower recoil, faster follow up shots, easier to handle in tight quarters, cheaper to practice with, better ammo performance for a given caliber than a handgun.

I remain firmly in the “use what you train with the most and can shoot well” camp. So, if that’s a .357 revolver, a carbine, a Glock or a 12 gauge, as long as you’re proficient, then it’s a good choice.

Last edited:
Actually the 590S model that is made specifically to work with the 1.75" shells is the one I'm interested in. I'm not sure Mossberg's claim of 13 round capacity is correct though. I think it may be 11+1. That's still plenty of shells.

I don’t own either, so it is hard for me to envision employing either.

But if I were to buy one with that intent - PCC. Higher capacity, lower recoil, faster follow up shots, easier to handle in tight quarters, cheaper to practice with, better ammo performance for a given caliber than a handgun.

I remain firmly in the “use what you train with the most and can shoot well” camp. So, if that’s a .357 revolver, a carbine, a Glock or a 12 gauge, as long as you’re proficient, then it’s a good choice.
Pretty much this.

It's whichever you can operate reasonably accurately under severe pressure.

For me PCC.

Yes, the S model was designed from the get go to function fully with the 1.75" short shells which adds significantly to magazine capacity. The 1.75" also addresses the excess recoil some find objectionable with a 12 gauge. The 590S Shockwave drops to 8+1 capacity of 1.75" shells but comes out well ahead in ease of handling in tight quarters at only 26.4" overall.

New England Firearms 12ga and a Walther Creed 9mm It's just going to depend which one I can get to the quickest from where I am when something goes down. I'd prefer to use the shotgun inside the house but they can be cumbersome if you're being crowded or rushed.

Back