Guns For Wives

Amongst the “guns for wives” discussion, let me introduce the “guns for teenage daughters” topic. My youngest learned to shoot at 12 Years old. She was taught in a simulator (great opportunity provided by my USN connections) using real weapons that were operated by compressed nitrogen, and used laser scoring. No noise, no risk, and the dedicated attention of a small arms instructor.

She learned handguns on an M9, rifles on an M4.

When we moved to real firearms on the range - we started with a Beretta 92 (same gun as the M9) and an AR-15. We then introduced the Glock 19.

She did well with all of them. Still likes the Glock 19.

A 1911 (which she shot yesterday, in 10mm) is big for her hands. She can handle it, and the recoil of the 10mm, but it wouldn’t be her first choice. The Glock 19 is still near the top for ease of shooting and fit in her hand. We are going to the range today, and will bring my SiG P365XL (which has a Wilson Combat grip module and reflex sight), along with the Glock 19, and the Springfield Echelon.

A word on the Echelon - it’s a great gun. The chassis (they call it a COG) allows the grip module to be changed easily to fit the shooter’s hand. Replaceable back straps allow tailoring of the grip to the shooter. Ambidextrous controls. Nice trigger. Low bore axis (or high grip, however you want to look at it) means minimal muzzle flip. Deep tapers in the slide allow a much easier grasp for slide manipulations like loading and press check. It is set up for a reflex sight.

I am genuinely impressed with the Echelon, and I would recommend it over the Glock 19, which is surprising, since the 19 has been my go-to recommendation for years. The Echelon is simply better in every respect. Better fit in a shooter’s hand. Ability to customize that fit. Better sight options. Ambidextrous Controls. Better trigger. Easier to handle/load.

So, @spasm3 - Try an Echelon. Or if you like, come on up to Virginia Beach and shoot mine. I’ve got a Trijicon RMR on it. It’s brand new, but I am seriously impressed so far.

Amongst the “guns for wives” discussion, let me introduce the “guns for teenage daughters” topic. My youngest learned to shoot at 12 Years old. She was taught in a simulator (great opportunity provided by my USN connections) using real weapons that were operated by compressed nitrogen, and used laser scoring. No noise, no risk, and the dedicated attention of a small arms instructor.

When we moved to real firearms on the range - we started with a Beretta 92 (same gun as the M9) and an AR-15. We then introduced the Glock 19.

A 1911 (which she shot yesterday, in 10mm) is big for her hands. She can handle it, and the recoil of the 10mm, but it wouldn’t be her first choice. The Glock 19 is still near the top for ease of shooting and fit in her hand. We are going to the range today, and will bring my SiG P365XL (which has a Wilson Combat grip module and reflex sight), along with the Glock 19, and the Springfield Echelon.

A word on the Echelon - it’s a great gun. The chassis (they call it a COG) allows the grip module to be changed easily to fit the shooter’s hand. Replaceable back straps allow tailoring of the grip to the shooter. Ambidextrous controls. Nice trigger. Low bore axis (or high grip, however you want to look at it) means minimal muzzle flip. Deep tapers in the slide allow a much easier grasp for slide manipulations like loading and press check. It is set up for a reflex sight.

I am genuinely impressed with the Echelon, and I would recommend it over the Glock 19, which is surprising, since the 19 has been my go-to recommendation for years. The Echelon is simply better in every respect. Better fit in a shooter’s hand. Ability to customize that fit. Better sight options. Ambidextrous Controls. Better trigger. Easier to handle/load.

So, @spasm3 - Try an Echelon. Or if you like, come on up to Virginia Beach and shoot mine. I’ve got a Trijicon RMR on it. It’s brand new, but I am seriously impressed so far.
I'll have to check out the Echelon when I go to the GAOS in PA next month with my son. I'll also have to check if they have a "NY stupid" 10 round magazine for it.

Mine chose a max9 after a lot of tryouts
IMG_2078.jpeg
.I stayed out of it,except some technical advice

A bit of follow up.

My daughter really liked the P365XL best. It fit her hand the best. She shot very well. We played “battleship” at 7 yards. She had zero misses. Ten rings, ten hits.

Mine has a Wilson Combat grip module and the Tungsten rods added. Recoil with that set up is quite manageable. Better than stock.

Again, @spasm3 if you want to try that one, cmon up!

My wife used to be in a similar situation.

Rural home, off the road. Worked in a back bedroom all day. Worst thing was/is my wife can be very “in” to what she’s doing and get lost in her work.

I bought her a Mossberg Bantam Youth 20 gauge that was to be leaned up near her at all times. She likes it. It’s a tiny shoulder stock and fits her perfect.

I used to have her carrying a G26 in a vehicle but she wanted something smaller. We went shopping.

She decided on a SW Airweight 642 38 special. I loaded it with 125 gr JHP +P.

You’re not aware of the world we live in today.

We live in a very “safe” area, but I’m not oblivious to the stuff that can and does happen.
My reaction to anyone who says they live in a safe area. I simply state that criminals have wheels and after watching ASP videos they seem to prefer the stolen ones ,it’s a gamble and I don’t want to be single again.

You’re not aware of the world we live in today.

We live in a very “safe” area, but I’m not oblivious to the stuff that can and does happen.
Oh, I'm aware stuff happens, but I have no fear going out to get the mail or chipping golf balls around my yard or taking out the trash. If I felt a need to carry my pistol to walk around my yard, I'd consider that too risky to live there. It's much better to avoid a situation that to be able to defend yourself in a situation.

I don’t have a problem with pacifists,it just seems to me that way too many people you encounter are under the influence of things that destroy normalcy we used to expect. Get your mama a galco purse,it’s not perfect but isn’t something she’ll call ugly.
IMG_2131.jpeg

Not to be too much of a Debbie Downer but being an enthusiast myself, and having spent a considerable amount of money on the sport, I endeavoured to get my wife into it as well. I purchased her two guns, one was a Savage bolt in .223 in "muddy girl" cammo, which she never got into shooting, and then later, figuring I could get her into skeet, a 20-gauge Mossberg also in pink, as a Christmas gift. That was a major flop and I actually had to take it back because she was mad.

She has shot our .22's before, and did seem to at least have a casual interest in engaging in the sport, but trying to do more to encourage her was not met with success, and so I've sort of abandoned that for now.

We of course don't really have the option of handguns up here in the GWN anymore, so you may have better luck going that route?

Best of luck regardless!
You get the wife a pink shotgun for Christmas and she was mad? You are lucky she even let you back in the house the next day 😂

You get the wife a pink shotgun for Christmas and she was mad? You are lucky she even let you back in the house the next day 😂
Been there tried to get her skeet shooting so I have a hardly used Ithaca featherlight 12 g

Been there tried to get her skeet shooting so I have a hardly used Ithaca featherlight 12 g
I think she needs a Beretta Vittoria- in 20 gauge. Built for woman’s frame with a different drop and length of pull. Something that fits her well, is beautiful to behold, and easier on recoil…

A bit of follow up.

My daughter really liked the P365XL best. It fit her hand the best. She shot very well. We played “battleship” at 7 yards. She had zero misses. Ten rings, ten hits.

Mine has a Wilson Combat grip module and the Tungsten rods added. Recoil with that set up is quite manageable. Better than stock.

I got one last month, put over 500 round through it already. I have small hands too and it fits very comfortably in mine. Im considering getting the X to carry and upgrade the XL.

In contrast, I could barely get a decent grip on the M9 we qual with.

A bit of follow up.

Tungsten rod(s)? Where do the other or others go? I've read briefly on the guide rod but saw some reports of them breaking.. how many rounds do you have through yours with it installed?

I don't find the recoil objectionable but if it reduces follow up shot time, then all the better!

Tungsten rod(s)? Where do the other or others go? I've read briefly on the guide rod but saw some reports of them breaking.. how many rounds do you have through yours with it installed?

I don't find the recoil objectionable but if it reduces follow up shot time, then all the better!

The tungsten rods, and I called them rods because, well they are rods in shape, go into pre-molded slots in the grip itself, they sit physically, just aft of the magazine well.

I glued them in place with some clear, silicone sealant, so there is no chance of them moving and potentially disturbing firearm function.

They are not guide rods. They are simply weights, and tungsten has twice the density of lead, so it’s a good choice for adding weight.

Because the weight is added low, in the grip itself, it changes the center of mass of the gun, as well as the total mass of the gun. There’s a noticeable reduction in both perceived recoil, and muzzle flip, with those tungsten weights in place.

I have tried a tungsten guide rod in a Glock. I didn’t notice any difference.

However, to be fair to the folks that sold it to me, I also increased the recoil spring strength at the same time, so perhaps the positive of the guide rod weight was offset by the negative of the increased recoil spring strength.

That was in a 10 mm, and the Glock 10 mm is known for a relatively weak spring compared with the recoil. If you shoot full pressure ammo (not the usual 10 mm fare, loaded to .40 specs, as most of the rounds on the market are) in a 10 mm, you’re going to get some wide variation in muzzle velocity.

The breach simply opens a bit early on a Glock when shooting full power 10mm rounds. The increased recoil spring strength enables better consistency but it does increase perceived recoil a little bit.

Anyway, don’t confuse the use of the word “rod“ in this case with the part of a gun known as a guide rod, that’s not what I intended, and I’m sorry for the resultant confusion.

Last edited:
Back