Guns For Wives

My wife is not a gun enthusiast , but is not opposed to guns. She has shot with me at the range. She does not mind shooting my walther p22.

She works from home, takes internet phone calls, and wears headphones as part of her job. She has a 1 hr break and usually spends that with our small dog outside.

Our home is a bit off the road, not very visible to others ( woods on all four sides), you could kick in our front or back door and no one would notice. There will be several town homes and a development build very close to us soon, so it will be noticeable that our house is there, but not out in the open, I.E. a target.

I'm trying to get her to entertain the idea of keeping a pistol on her side during the day, so that its always with her. She does keep one in her little home office, but its not with her as she moves about the house or goes outside.

We are going to the range this week, but i dont think she is going to like shooting much more that my walther p22.

I'm thinking about getting her a Walther PPQ 22. It has no safety and if she gets really used to it , maybe i could move her up to the Walther PPQ in 9mm.
That way the 9mm would be the same size and feel as the .22.

Thoughts ?
I have a Walther PPQ 9 mm. That is the style with the paddles for the magazine release on either side of the trigger guard.

As a left handed shooter I can fire off a magazine, release it with the left hand trigger finger without any hand contortions, insert a new one and resume shooting. I like the gun but it is a far different shooting experience than when I shoot my Ruger 22 lite. In fact I bought the Ruger lite with my wife in mind but she appears to have no desire to join me at the range.

A German Shepard is a h377 of a different commitment than finding a handgun suitable for Mrs. OP.

There are some pepper spray guns that might be worth considering. Also some surveillance cameras with motion detection. If a person is reluctant to use a firearm for whatever reason there are other ways to improve personal safety.

Proper training and practice will eliminate your concerns. If a person isn't willing to put in meaningful practice sessions with their defensive firearm because they dont like shooting it then it's the wrong gun.
My thoughts exactly. Thats what I was going to say

My wife absolutely loves her Keltec P32 ACP. She's deadly accurate shooting Federal FMJs. The gun's been flawless and my wife's very comfortable when squeezing the trigger. It can fit into the smallest places on our clothes.

Highly recommended for your wife. I couldn't find one for her to shoot at a nearby gun range. So I bought a new one (sight unseen) online and she's so glad I did. Prior to that, she was using my .380 ACP Beretta Pico. That's another one your wife might like. Shoots softer and easier to handle than my former Ruger LCP 380.

Last edited:
Semi Auto 9mm then put her in a CCW class followed by a 2-3 day level 1 class, typically 600-1,000 rounds. Best to rent from the class and try different guns if possible, most women will have a strong preference to what is comfortable. She needs to know how to shoot, clear malfunctions, reload, ect. Owning and carrying a firearm is pointless without proper training. My wife has a S&W M&P and also a S&W Shield. Depending on the clothing choice for that day she can pick the best platform to take with her. Also good to have an assortment of holsters, IWB, OWB, there are some good women’s leggings with built in gun pockets. If carrying is not comfortable your wife won’t do it. Also spare magazine holsters to carry. So much that goes into self defense.

If you can she needs to go to a gun shop and put some in her hands. Then maybe she can find something she likes.

A good compromise...
D21F5B50-FCF6-4981-8E65-821BD8558230.jpeg

My wife won't have a fire extinguisher in the house. She says if we lived in a house where we needed to worry about fire then we should move.

I took my wife to the gun shop and after trying out a bunch she fell in love with the Ruger LCR, so she got one in 22lr, it has 8 shots and with the defensive ammo from Federal it had 16” of penetration in the gell test. She shoots skeets imbedded in a dirt pile at 10 yards no problem. After she shoots those I have her shoot the pieces. With a speed loader 16 rounds

I still think Ruger Security 380 . Low recoil , light rack , fiber optics, 15+1 and decent price.

Attachments

• IMG_5028.jpeg
    IMG_5028.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5027.jpeg
    IMG_5027.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 5
If she is comfortable with the office gun let her pick out a holster. Better she be familiar with one weapon than unfamiliar with two.

Paco

I took my wife to the gun shop and after trying out a bunch she fell in love with the Ruger LCR, so she got one in 22lr, it has 8 shots and with the defensive ammo from Federal it had 16” of penetration in the gell test. She shoots skeets imbedded in a dirt pile at 10 yards no problem. After she shoots those I have her shoot the pieces. With a speed loader 16 rounds

It's certainly better than nothing. It's not one of those "blow your lungs out 9MM" but I'd sure as all get out hate to get hit by a .22lr in the guts, chest, or head. I'd hate even more to get hit by 2-3 of them in rapid succession.

Your perfect Walther for an outstanding price

Attachments

• IMG_5084.jpeg
    IMG_5084.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 4
My wife can handle my Glock 19 with pretty good aim and hits on target. I usually recommend a 38spl for women unless they really feel the need to have a semi-auto.

My wife is not a gun enthusiast , but is not opposed to guns. She has shot with me at the range. She does not mind shooting my walther p22.

She works from home, takes internet phone calls, and wears headphones as part of her job. She has a 1 hr break and usually spends that with our small dog outside.

Our home is a bit off the road, not very visible to others ( woods on all four sides), you could kick in our front or back door and no one would notice. There will be several town homes and a development build very close to us soon, so it will be noticeable that our house is there, but not out in the open, I.E. a target.

I'm trying to get her to entertain the idea of keeping a pistol on her side during the day, so that its always with her. She does keep one in her little home office, but its not with her as she moves about the house or goes outside.

We are going to the range this week, but i dont think she is going to like shooting much more that my walther p22.

I'm thinking about getting her a Walther PPQ 22. It has no safety and if she gets really used to it , maybe i could move her up to the Walther PPQ in 9mm.
That way the 9mm would be the same size and feel as the .22.

Thoughts ?
Not to be too much of a Debbie Downer but being an enthusiast myself, and having spent a considerable amount of money on the sport, I endeavoured to get my wife into it as well. I purchased her two guns, one was a Savage bolt in .223 in "muddy girl" cammo, which she never got into shooting, and then later, figuring I could get her into skeet, a 20-gauge Mossberg also in pink, as a Christmas gift. That was a major flop and I actually had to take it back because she was mad.

She has shot our .22's before, and did seem to at least have a casual interest in engaging in the sport, but trying to do more to encourage her was not met with success, and so I've sort of abandoned that for now.

We of course don't really have the option of handguns up here in the GWN anymore, so you may have better luck going that route?

Best of luck regardless!

Back