What's the deal with Goodyear tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by bottgers:
RKBA wrote:

Aftermarket low and moderate price = acceptable, but not anything special. I wouldn't consider them over any other tire all things being equal

There's been plenty of testimonies differing from that opinion not only in this forum, but in others as well. I have low priced tires right now on all 3 of our vehicles that perform every bit as well, if not better than the high priced tires. As much as I believe in the old saying "you get what you pay for," aparently that is more of the exception than the rule when it comes to tires. With a lot of these high dollar tires today, you're mostly paying for the name. I'll take a Kumho or a Yokahama any day over a Michelin or a Goodyear. [/QB][/QUOTE]

RKBA opinion in this previous post was his opinion in reference to Goodyears low/moderate price tires only, and not all low priced tires in general.

I can't stand Goodyears. And I'm a generally easygoing sort. I've both bought them and had them OEM. Every one I've had have over the decades have been relatively poor performers and their best models are grossly overpriced for what you get.

There's a reason GYs are such a popular OEM pick, and it isn't performance.

The last OEM Eagles we had caused my wife an accident when their wet grip completely disappeared after all of 19k. Another aftermarket GY 15 years ago blew out on the highway after 5k for no particular reason. GY was only willing to prorate a replacement. We dumped the remaining three for a set of Turanzas and they were still on the car when we sold it several years later.

It is now a vehicle purchasing factor. If the vehicle comes OEM with GYs, I will replace them before taking delivery and factor that into the buying decision.

Thank goodness the last three new cars came with Michelins and Bridgstones. You just can't better a Pilot Sport, even if they are priced at nosebleed levels.

quote:

Originally posted by bottgers:
Oh, okay. That makes sense. Sorry about the misinterpretation.

Yes, perhaps my posting wasn't clear. I happen to know of a few "gems" out there in the mid-grade tire market.
Kumho comes to mind right off the bat; particularly their mud terrain off road tire. I also ran a set of Firestone Affinity LH30s on a station wagon and they were excellent for the price.

We have a set of Goodyear Aquatread 3s on our Aerostar. They are ripe for replacement after almost 60K. They have remained in balance and have not developed any thumps. The tires are very quiet (not that you would really know the difference in an Aero), they have a pretty good ride and they are really good in the rain. They are the equal of the oem Michelins in every way save one: They are utterly useless in the snow, while the XWX4s were quite good.

I think you need to look at specific models instead of the entire brand, as most seem to have some very good tires, most seem to make some marginal ones, but the biggest problem seems to be matching tire performance and tire life with vehicle, driving style, and cost. A population of drivers with smaller car driven at legal limits on largely dry roads with no snow will have fewer complaints than racer car wannabes, people who also need to handle ice and snow, people who venture off road, or people with larger vehicles.

I like my Goodyear Silent Armor Wranglers very much so far, as they're smooth if the road is smooth, they're even quieter than the OEM Michelin LTX A/S that the replaced, they have noticeably better traction so far (haven't been in snow yet), and they're currently the only 17in load range E tire with a 50k tread life warranty and that are also severe snow rated. If they last as advertised I'll get another set when needed.

I like the "look" of those Goodyear tires 1sttruck. I only wish they were available in my tire size (205-75-15) or a 0+ size. They first size available for me would be a 235-75-15 and I don't want to go that big.

1sttruck

I think it's a bit more than coincidental that EVERY set of Goodyear's (of various models) has been bad, and every set of a different brand of tire that replaced them has been far superior. Does Goodyear make some good tires? I'm sure they must or they wouldn't still be in business. I'm just saying it's been my experience that every set of Goodyear tires I've had have been total garbage.

"I'm just saying it's been my experience that every set of Goodyear tires I've had have been total garbage."

I'm just saying that the only set of Goodyears that I've owned are the best tires that I've ever had on my truck. Granted, they're only the 2nd pair of truck tires that I've ever owned :^), but so far they seem to get good marks in reviews at places like TireRack, even by experienced owners :^)

I say there's starving kids in Bombazzastan who would love to have even a used set of Goodyears!!!!

/scurries off

nevermind
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
I say there's starving kids in Bombazzastan who would love to have even a used set of Goodyears!!!!

/scurries off

They can have all the Goodyear tires they want as far as I'm concerned.

I also have to commend the TripleTreads. Best tires I've ever owned. They finally got a design right.

OEM on 2004 Silverado.

Wrangler S/T

Incredibly poor wet traction. Fair to middlin' on dry roads.

I switch to snow tires in winter but staring at the tread it appears they would be pert' near useless on the white stuff.

GMC musta' bought a boat load really really cheap.

If I ran Goodyear I would be ashamed to put my firm's name upon such a horrible product.

And they provide the tires for NASCAR, although there's no rain tire research there, because NASCAR is too weenie-wuss to race in the rain.

Well, send them to Asia, they can slice em up for slippers!
laugh.gif

Funny thing happened the other day at work. My co-worker and I were running an errand using our GOV which is a Ford Explorer. While we were driving down the road, we both noticed at the same time this warbling sound coming from one of the tires. I said "you know what? That sounds just like the sound every set of Goodyears I've ever owned develops. I wonder if these tires are GYs?" Sure enough, when we stopped and got out of the vehicle, we saw the tires were Goodyear Wranglers. What a coincidence!

botteger, I have had the same experince as you. I even bought a set of Goodyears for my Dads truck and all have been garbage!!! The OEM Goodyears that came on my Camry were junk right off the lot! They had no adhesion at all and no wett traction at all. Driveing in the winter was takeing your life in your hands!!You could not give me a set of Goodyear tires or any brand owned by Goodyear!!!!Mine were shot by 25,000 miles but I kept themon till 34,000 miles.

I replaced my OEM tires with Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring tires and they ROOOOOOOOCK!! They have tremedious grip wet or dry. They are quite and ride really smoothly!! Uniroyal is owned by Michlene(sp). They have a 80,000 mile tread life warranty.

I want to add that I check air pressures and rotate on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back