what puts less strain on a threaded shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to adjust a rusted nut on a threaded shaft (guessing 5/16" to 3/8"). Would a impact wrench or a pipe on an "L" handle be less stress on the threaded shaft I do not want to shear with snow coming tonight?

I am thinking impact.

I have done a few rounds of PB Blaster.

Is this for an eye-bolt guide on a snowblower?

FWIW, I've never known an air/impact wrench to be gentle. I'd want to muscle it by hand.

Joel

A few more rounds of something to soak and help remove rust. Then I would use a hand wrench and try to loosen, then tighten slightly, then loosen, then tighten slightly, then loosen, etc. In other words, try to break the bad seal and get the nut or bolt to move. Can be a chore. Before you reinstall, place the bolt or mechanism in WD 40 or the like and sit for a few hours. Try to get rid of the rust or whatever in the threads. Good luck.
04.gif

Originally Posted By: JTK
Is this for an eye-bolt guide on a snowblower?

FWIW, I've never known an air/impact wrench to be gentle. I'd want to muscle it by hand.

Joel

Its called the traction control rod. Airens snowblower.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Its called the traction control rod. Airens snowblower.

Yeah.. I'm pretty sure I'd hold off a cpl days provided she works for now. LOL!

Joel

Last edited:
If there is enough thread showing take a close look at the thread and check it to see if it is reverse thread.

If there is not enough thread showing or you are working on a bolt, you might want to be aware that it could be a reverse thread.

If you apply significant torque and it does not move or moves just a little (like a 1/4 or 1/2 turn) but still seams very tough to get off, it may be that it is reverse thread. If after significant torque it still seams impossible, you might try the same amount of torque in the opposite direction. If it is reverse thread it just might end up coming apart for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back