Vise Grip Adjustable Wrench

There was a 8 year old thread about a similar tool here, but it was long ago locked. I came across this on Amazon the other day and I bought one. It works pretty much as intended. They even ship it with a nut firmly between the jaws.

They work just like any other adjustable wrench, by tightening the worm gear until it's tight on the flats. Then you squeeze the handle, and it really clamps down hard to prevent rounding off the nut.

There is no adjustment on the end of the handle like regular vise grips. The worm gear takes care of the adjustment, which makes them easy to use. The price wasn't bad so I grabbed one. I don't know who makes them for Amazon Basic, but the overall quality looks to be pretty good.

1695891102729.jpeg

That’s a pretty ingenious design, although I won’t use an adjustable wrench in a high torque situation. And always pull on the fixed side..

Autozone has a Duralast version of that wrench. I thought about picking one up but then considered how little I use adjustable wrenches. But it's great to know that they work well.
Screenshot_20230928-062510_Opera.jpg

I almost like it better than an open end because of how tight it grabs. The problem I have with regular adjustables is you have to wiggle them while tightening the worm.

Then it's hard to get them off, and they get stuck. This thing really grabs tight with zero play. The vise grip lever takes all the play out of the whole setup. There is always play with an open end or regular adjustable.

With all of that said, nothing beats a good fitting 6 point socket or box wrench.

I have about a dozen of these all in various sizes, from tiny miniature ones to giant ones for 2" bolts.
I also have a full set of of regular adjustable vice grips.
Both have served me well because **** they grip.

There was a 8 year old thread about a similar tool here, but it was long ago locked. I came across this on Amazon the other day and I bought one. It works pretty much as intended. They even ship it with a nut firmly between the jaws.

They work just like any other adjustable wrench, by tightening the worm gear until it's tight on the flats. Then you squeeze the handle, and it really clamps down hard to prevent rounding off the nut.

There is no adjustment on the end of the handle like regular vise grips. The worm gear takes care of the adjustment, which makes them easy to use. The price wasn't bad so I grabbed one. I don't know who makes them for Amazon Basic, but the overall quality looks to be pretty good.

View attachment 180827
My favorite review:

"Very easy to pinch your hands." That's it.

Your Stupid Opinions (podcast) needs to consider this one......

I got one of those a year or two ago, and immediately used it to do inner tie rods. They work amazing on bigger bolts.

I bought one from Stanley years ago when it was USA made, much better quality than the one they are selling now.

Back