Semi-Deep vs. Deep Sockets

BC05A979-8B5C-4C5B-B2D8-ABD781E52381.jpeg

I now own a set of the 212FSMSY - will see how useful they are.

1/4” drive 12mm

Quinn shallow/Snap On semi-deep/Tekton Deep

C0F8A9C9-9136-482B-870B-F31D018139B7.jpeg

3/8” drive 12mm

Astro Nano/Gearwrench shallow/Snap On semi-deep/Gearwrench Deep

0D5BC583-51EA-437D-9147-B973876B138F.jpeg

Thoughts:

Minimal difference between shallow and semi-deep in 1/4”. Probably not worth it.

In 3/8”, the Astro Nano sockets are almost the same depth as standard chrome sockets; may not need to own both. Dimensionally, semi-deep appears to fit nicely in-between shallow and deep.

Last edited:
1/4” drive 12mm

Quinn shallow/Snap On semi-deep/Tekton Deep

View attachment 142212
3/8” drive 12mm

Astro Nano/Gearwrench shallow/Snap On semi-deep/Gearwrench Deep

View attachment 142213

Thoughts:

Minimal difference between shallow and semi-deep in 1/4”. Probably not worth it.

In 3/8”, the Astro Nano sockets are almost the same depth as standard chrome sockets; may not need to own both. Dimensionally, semi-deep appears to fit nicely in-between shallow and deep.
It's only tangentially related, but do you have the sockets that go in a ratcheting (or fixed I suppose) wrench?

Similar to the Astros but sort of reversed because the hex is smaller than the body of the socket, acting as a stop when dropped into a wrench

Garage Journal has an inaccurate read on the thesis.

When you encounter a stupidly long fastener, it's not there for your benefit. It helps align something at assembly or is otherwise beneficial to the manufacturing process.

I got my long sockets when I had to do a Saturn top engine mount. If you look at the thing and the stupidly long studs you're likely to think you can do better. But those long studs are good for aligning the engine (possibly sitting on a jack being serviced) and "sucking it back up", LOL.

As to the topic at hand, overly long sockets apply shear forces you don't want, if you can't brace the head of the ratchet due to clearance or whatever. This can break fasteners that would otherwise have survived.

It's only tangentially related, but do you have the sockets that go in a ratcheting (or fixed I suppose) wrench?

Similar to the Astros but sort of reversed because the hex is smaller than the body of the socket, acting as a stop when dropped into a wrench

I have this set somewhere:

As to the topic at hand, overly long sockets apply shear forces you don't want, if you can't brace the head of the ratchet due to clearance or whatever. This can break fasteners that would otherwise have survived.
You explained it better than I could. Plus, some fasteners have an unusually short hex head - that only exacerbates the issue with long sockets.

I have this set somewhere:

That's not exactly as useful, if for no other reason than you're locked into that weird exterior spline drive.

The ability to put a really short socket into any ratcheting wrench (reversible, flex head, extra long, stubby) can be priceless in certain situations.

It's one of those things you'll usually only need a couple times a year, but when it provides access that would otherwise be impossible, I promise you'll smile :D. The "pass thru" aspect is not really what I'm getting at (plus sometimes it's too small to be useful) but the short OAH is the key.
20230226_114340.jpg

I also have this tiny Power Torque set, runs 5-13mm and 13/64 - 1/2". These are kind of the "1/4 drive" equivalent of this style -- that's just my term as of course these are not square drive so actual drive size is not applicable.
20230226_114121.jpg

Craftsman used to offer these but long discontinued. Note here they weren't focusing on pass-thru at all -- just a shallow socket meant to fit in a wrench. They do have a ball detent which helps retain them and that's nice
20230226_114953.jpg

When you encounter a stupidly long fastener, it's not there for your benefit. It helps align something at assembly or is otherwise beneficial to the manufacturing process.

I got my long sockets when I had to do a Saturn top engine mount. If you look at the thing and the stupidly long studs you're likely to think you can do better. But those long studs are good for aligning the engine (possibly sitting on a jack being serviced) and "sucking it back up", LOL.

Socket length is totally an issue with the 4 and 6-tang locknut spanners for D44/D60/14b spindle nuts. If you try to torque them with a lever (vs a rotational tool like an impact), they just want to cock and lever out of the nut.

It's workable with care but a PITA

That's not exactly as useful, if for no other reason than you're locked into that weird exterior spline drive.

The ability to put a really short socket into any ratcheting wrench (reversible, flex head, extra long, stubby) can be priceless in certain situations.

It's one of those things you'll usually only need a couple times a year, but when it provides access that would otherwise be impossible, I promise you'll smile :D. The "pass thru" aspect is not really what I'm getting at (plus sometimes it's too small to be useful) but the short OAH is the key. View attachment 142331

I also have this tiny Power Torque set, runs 5-13mm and 13/64 - 1/2". These are kind of the "1/4 drive" equivalent of this style -- that's just my term as of course these are not square drive so actual drive size is not applicable. View attachment 142332

Craftsman used to offer these but long discontinued. Note here they weren't focusing on pass-thru at all -- just a shallow socket meant to fit in a wrench. They do have a ball detent which helps retain them and that's niceView attachment 142334
Ahh, I see what you mean.

Apparently, the pictured 3/8” Astro nano sockets have a 17mm hex that can be used with their specialty ratcheting wrench.

But they work fine with a normal ratcheting wrench too.

CC34E01A-2323-45F8-9523-4530E00710CD.jpeg

AF4403B4-B6A4-4F94-8CBA-4E83A6D596A0.jpeg

Reactions: D60
Those pass-through socket wrenches, and normal gearwrenches, are godsends for rear struts on sedans where the nuts typically live in a cramped spot under the package shelf.

Those pass-through socket wrenches, and normal gearwrenches, are godsends for rear struts on sedans where the nuts typically live in a cramped spot under the package shelf.
I’ve been using my Mountain ratcheting wrenches for those applications. The collar provides just enough clearance for those fasteners.

I’ve been using my Mountain ratcheting wrenches for those applications. The collar provides just enough clearance for those fasteners.
I was looking the other day... NAPA now thinks their Carlyle set (same thing) is worth something like $412!!!

It's The Emporer's New Clothes approach: they're REALLY expensive so they must be REALLY good!

A 13 or 17mm would make more sense than 18mm. Especially for that price.
In typical NAPA we-don't-really-care-about-Carlyle fashion, the web listing is terribly inaccurate. There's 10 sizes in the set and IIRC it's 10-19mm with no skips.

They're "ok" but not $412 ok. Most of the different badges right now (Platinum, ATD, Mountain, Icon) are ~$200 -- which is still high IMO but not completely outrageous

In typical NAPA we-don't-really-care-about-Carlyle fashion, the web listing is terribly inaccurate. There's 10 sizes in the set and IIRC it's 10-19mm with no skips.

They're "ok" but not $412 ok. Most of the different badges right now (Platinum, ATD, Mountain, Icon) are ~$200 -- which is still high IMO but not completely outrageous
Yes, I see that now, 10 - 19mm. But, the price is now showing $449. I could swear it was $412 an hour ago.

Maybe a local pricing matter?

Last edited:
I was looking the other day... NAPA now thinks their Carlyle set (same thing) is worth something like $412!!!

It's The Emporer's New Clothes approach: they're REALLY expensive so they must be REALLY good!

The ones sold as Icon or Matco, Carlyle and others are all made by Kabo and good quality.

Exactly, the longer the socket the more unstable it is on the fastener. Not good if the nut/bolt head is already sketchy with rust.

Back