Looking for new air impact wrench

My impact wrench just died after 17 or so years of use. It was almost exclusively used for tire swaps (have snow tire sets for 2 vehicles) and rotations for the 3 total vehicles I own. My compressor is on the small side (15 gallon tank, 150 psi, 3.6 c.f. @ 90 psi). I have no idea what the specs were on my old wrench (Iron Force by Campbell Hausfeld). I'm guessing it was only 250 to 300 ft. lbs or so of torque and have no idea what it's air consumption was but it got the job done without to much struggling. Naturally I'd like to get something that will work with my compressor. The lowest air consumption I can find is in the 4 to 4.5 cu. ft. area. Husky has both a full size and a compact at a claimed 4.0 cf of air consumption. Both have adequate torque (800 full size, 500 for compact). I'm assuming these will work for the intended use. Are there any other makes I should consider that have less air consumption and adequate torque for lug nut removal? My budget is to try to keep it to 100.00 or less if possible and under 5lbs in weight as I'm getting up in age. Sorry but I have no interest in going with more battery/cordless tools at this time. I'll stick with air. Thanks.

Thank you for that YouTube link! That's an impressive wrench. I like the smaller physical size still retaining decent specs and the price (currently on sale for 99.99). My only concern is air consumption. It's advertised spec is 4.8 cf. and I'm wondering how much that may tax my smaller compressor. I guess I could pick one up and give it a try as Harbor Freight has a 30 day or so return policy if it doesn't work out.

That does look like an interesting little gun, because if it’s size and power.

Id personally go with an aircat, which I own.
Aircat is a great choice as well, I have a few. This is also a pretty versatile impact gun and has come in quite handy for me.
Astro Tools 1834 1/2" Nano Flex-Head Angle Impact Wrench - 400ft/lb

61Yk7Jxh4BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thank you for that YouTube link! That's an impressive wrench. I like the smaller physical size still retaining decent specs and the price (currently on sale for 99.99). My only concern is air consumption. It's advertised spec is 4.8 cf. and I'm wondering how much that may tax my smaller compressor. I guess I could pick one up and give it a try as Harbor Freight has a 30 day or so return policy if it doesn't work out.
It will not be a problem, impact guns are intermittent use not like a DA sander or paint gun that uses a lot of cfm continuously.
The gun is made in Taiwan but so are most other brands regardless of the name. IR is made in China Hazet rebrands this gun.
Taiwan owns the bulk of the air tool market lock stock and barrel, there are a few USA and other tools but the price is usually high and the performance may not reflect the additional cost.

CFM is almost irrelevant here. You're mostly pulling off the tank for a few seconds. And I'd question if the ratings are even accurate.

It's only going to matter if you're hammering on a stubborn fastener for a longer time, and you'll know because the gun will begin to sound sluggish.

A little closer reading of the specs identified that the Earthquake XT (discussed above) only has two forward speeds. That could be a deal breaker if the lowest setting torques higher than what my wheels use (85 to 95 ft. lbs). My old gun would tighten to 70 to 75 ft. lbs on it's lowest of 3 forward settings and I'd finish with my torque wrench. Having to loosen every lug nut (if needed) and then re-torque could become a pain and not very efficient. I'll have to check around and see what "range" that first setting might be within, otherwise I like this option. While I would love a IR or Aircat wrench I think they're a little overkill for my intended use and budget.

larger hoses aka 3/8 are better + shorter runs help. i put my old craftsman away as it struggled with my truck lugs, got the IR BUT $$ as noted harbor freight or amazon + check out the torque test channel for REAL output as many cheaper models are VERY OPTOMIISTIC or their output, also other sites that are air gun specific.

A little closer reading of the specs identified that the Earthquake XT (discussed above) only has two forward speeds. That could be a deal breaker if the lowest setting torques higher than what my wheels use (85 to 95 ft. lbs). My old gun would tighten to 70 to 75 ft. lbs on it's lowest of 3 forward settings and I'd finish with my torque wrench. Having to loosen every lug nut (if needed) and then re-torque could become a pain and not very efficient. I'll have to check around and see what "range" that first setting might be within, otherwise I like this option. While I would love a IR or Aircat wrench I think they're a little overkill for my intended use and budget.
I understand what you're saying, but I've never adjusted output on an impact wrench before. Just release the trigger as soon as the nut tightens and the hammering starts. You'll be short of the target, but should be within a turn.

I understand what you're saying, but I've never adjusted output on an impact wrench before. Just release the trigger as soon as the nut tightens and the hammering starts. You'll be short of the target, but should be within a turn.
I'm one of those old dogs that doesn't learn new tricks very easily!. With practice I probably could get a feeling as to when to stop. I tend to want to get the job done the fastest and easiest way any more. Having a gun with a setting that stops short of the desired torque does make it easier, at least for me.

The IR231 1/2 inch drive that I have has been in use since 1986. It still rips massive amounts of torque. Used daily and is the most durable air impact I’ve ever purchased. It has outlasted 2 Snap On 3/8 drive impacts.

I'm one of those old dogs that doesn't learn new tricks very easily!. With practice I probably could get a feeling as to when to stop. I tend to want to get the job done the fastest and easiest way any more. Having a gun with a setting that stops short of the desired torque does make it easier, at least for me.
The green compact HF impact has 3-4 settings. you wont have a problem finding something that works.

On my dewalt I let it hammer on setting 2 for about 1-2s
then torque wrench always goes about 1/8 to 1/4 turn

Setting 1 will get lugs to about 50 ft/lb but it takes 6-7s of hammering.. who got time for that :ROFLMAO:
also I like it slightly tighter that way I dont have to ratchet the torque wrench on every lug nut.... 1 pull and done.

With that HF impact and 3-4? settings something will work out fine.

Last edited:
The green compact HF impact has 3-4 settings. you wont have a problem finding something that works.

On my dewalt I let it hammer on setting 2 for about 1-2s
then torque wrench always goes about 1/8 to 1/4 turn

Setting 1 will get lugs to about 50 ft/lb but it takes 6-7s of hammering.. who got time for that :ROFLMAO:
also I like it slightly tighter that way I dont have to ratchet the torque wrench on every lug nut.... 1 pull and done.

With that HF impact and 3-4? settings something will work out fine.
I'm having trouble finding the HF model you might be referring to. The only other "Green" wrenches appear to be the full size XT ones and yes they have 3+1 speeds (forward/reverse). The one we have been discussing above is the only "green compact" I'm aware of and it's stuck with two speeds. If there's another compact (besides the "stubby") I'm overlooking could you point it (model?) out so I could look at it. Thanks

Back