Looking for new air impact wrench

eh maybe I'm in the wrong. I might have conflated the reg green back onto the compact.

The reg green XT non compact is currently 69$ though.. if you dont care about the size just get that one.

I saw that one as well and the price makes it "very" tempting. Specs say it consumes 6.5 cu. ft. at 90 psi and several reviewers on various sites, while giving give it a thumbs up, also indicated that it tends to eat lots of air for max output. I really don't want to tax my smaller compressor any more than I have to.

Been happy with my Aircat, and as already mentioned don't focus on the cfm of air used.
Your using it for a moment at a time, then the compressor has some catch up time.

to really mess with you let me tell you the air rating is rigged.
that 6.5cfm or whatever is average consumption.. based on you using it 1/4 the time
actual cfm used if hammering down is around 25cfm.

but if the impact removes it in 2seconds instead of 8 you use less air.

IMO: Sounds like you need a battery impact if you are that concerned with the air compressor
The big ryobi has cheap batteries and is relatively inexpensive.

Air sanders and die grinders absolutely EAT air.. an impact due to its low intermittent use consume less.

Disclaimer: been a long time since I looked up average cfm rating the numbers are from memory

Home depot has the 1170ft/lb ryobi with (2) 4ah batteries for $144+tax currently.
The batteries are worth at least $30-40 each
so thats about $80 for a great impact.

A little closer reading of the specs identified that the Earthquake XT (discussed above) only has two forward speeds. That could be a deal breaker if the lowest setting torques higher than what my wheels use (85 to 95 ft. lbs). My old gun would tighten to 70 to 75 ft. lbs on it's lowest of 3 forward settings and I'd finish with my torque wrench. Having to loosen every lug nut (if needed) and then re-torque could become a pain and not very efficient. I'll have to check around and see what "range" that first setting might be within, otherwise I like this option. While I would love a IR or Aircat wrench I think they're a little overkill for my intended use and budget.
The trigger isn’t variable?? I’d think if you don’t go full bore, you will be ok.

Air sanders and die grinders absolutely EAT air.. an impact due to its low intermittent use consume less.
Learned my lesson about that. Bought a cheap die grinder and used a wire wheel to clean up some angle iron. That turned out to be a useless exercise with my compressor!

Home depot has the 1170ft/lb ryobi with (2) 4ah batteries for $144+tax currently.
The batteries are worth at least $30-40 each
so thats about $80 for a great impact.
I second the suggestion to go with the battery impact. However the big Ryobi is too heavy for daily use on wheels, etc. I would go with the Ryobi HP mid torque (600 lb ft) for lug nuts and 99% of other stuff. It is budget friendly and has plenty of power.

Last edited:

That one does sound to be great.
I run IR since the end of 90ś and it still working great but last years i used an battery impact for tire change and repairs when its so comfortable without air hose and starting up the compressor. Dont know how IR is today but when i bought this one it was the strongest 1/2 inch impact i could find aviable here in Sweden.

I second the suggestion to go with the battery impact. However the big Ryobi is too heavy for daily use on wheels, etc. I would go with the Ryobi HP mid torque (600 lb ft) for lug nuts and 99% of other stuff. It is budget friendly and has plenty of power.
daily use? its more like twice a year.
also mid torque can struggle on crusty fasteners esp trucks that torque to 140ft-lb etc.
I dont want to hammer for 15s to get them off.
If you are only getting one for wheels.. get the big one.

I have the classic IR Thundergun, probably 25+ years old. It's pretty good, But it is old school, and the torque settings are not the easiest to get right. As the knob turns around and around.

I went to HF today to look at the new Earthquake XT midsize wrench discussed above. I really liked it as it fit nicely in my hand and was fairly lightweight especially when I compared it to the full size XT. I was ready to take it home until I learned something very interesting about HF's return policy. I was hoping I could take it home, see if it was compatible with my compressor and if not return it. No can do! If you return a tool that you used (even opening the box can trigger this) you are subject to a 20% restocking fee! I can understand the need for this policy when people buy tools, say a sewer auger or sump pump, to use one time (treating it a like a free rental tool) and return it expecting a full refund. There can and probably was a lot of HF tool abuse and subsequent returns that triggered this. If this wrench did not work for me it was going to cost me 20 bucks for the privilege of just trying it. I had to pass on it for this reason. I now have to question whether to consider any HF tools, especially power ones, due to this pretty heavy handed policy.

You're current impact probably isn't busted. You might try taking it apart and cleaning and lubing the internals.
You're probably right that a thorough cleaning "might" revive it. I have been running Blaster air tool conditioner periodically for the last two years or so. I haven't beat on it too bad and regularly oiled it. It was actually pretty cheap when I got it and I'm pleasantly surprised it's lasted as long as it has. Besides, I kind of look forward to getting a new one.

Last edited:
I went to HF today to look at the new Earthquake XT midsize wrench discussed above. I really liked it as it fit nicely in my hand and was fairly lightweight especially when I compared it to the full size XT. I was ready to take it home until I learned something very interesting about HF's return policy. I was hoping I could take it home, see if it was compatible with my compressor and if not return it. No can do! If you return a tool that you used (even opening the box can trigger this) you are subject to a 20% restocking fee! I can understand the need for this policy when people buy tools, say a sewer auger or sump pump, to use one time (treating it a like a free rental tool) and return it expecting a full refund. There can and probably was a lot of HF tool abuse and subsequent returns that triggered this. If this wrench did not work for me it was going to cost me 20 bucks for the privilege of just trying it. I had to pass on it for this reason. I now have to question whether to consider any HF tools, especially power ones, due to this pretty heavy handed policy.
This policy is becoming widespread due to customers trying out product before they commit to themselves to buying it. I sort of understand the policy and agree with it, the seller must now sell this as used merchandise at a discount price or worse have to return it to the manufacturer and only receive wholesale price compensation, it will then be sold at a refurb price, quite a few of the big name power tool companies do this.

The airgun in question almost certainly consumes less air that your old one. Personally if I really wanted it and was fairly confident that it will work as intended I would buy it but that's me.

I bought my Dewalt 899 about 2 months before the 900 came out....grrr.

FWIW, I haven't used my air impact since I acquired the DeWalt 20V 1/2" impact. The 20V accessory list is plentiful and a good rabbit hole...same for the M18 Fuel.

Back