Semi-Deep vs. Deep Sockets

While reading on GJ, these three posts came to my attention:

Deep sockets are a waste in 99/100 cases, once you have semi deep you almost never "need" a true deep socket on modern applications.

Lug-nuts or sparkplugs are special applications iMHO and warrant special sockets anyways. Engines are too compact and engineers too cost, space,and weight conscious to use fasteners with stupid amounts of un-used threads etc. Mid deeps are light, more portable, packable more maneuvarble, easier to handle etc.

Alot of shallows are too shallow for my taste unless obstructions are a specific issue. Lastly, 3/8 semi-deep is same as 1/2 shallow in terms of form factor so it often saves you switching over a drive and lets you keep a lighter, thinner and easier to handle ratchet.

I find the mid length sockets easier to manipulate than shallow sockets. especially pulling off smaller sockets, with greasy hands. The little extra length, of the semi-deep sockets, are easier to turn by hand also. The shallow sockets are often too short to get a grip on, without an extension, when turning by hand.

There are times where a deep is too tall to fit, and a shallow is not deep enough. Many of these times a ratchet wrench could also be used, or either end of a combo wrench.

I use my semi-deeps and swivels 99% of the time.

Shallow and deep impacts have became my "specialty" sockets for that 1% of the time where access is an issue, such as engine mounts and crank pulley bolts.

I personally did not own any semi-deep sockets until last week, but there have been many instances where it would have been less cumbersome to use a socket that was longer than a shallow, but shorter than a deep. Mainly for clearance purposes.

Thoughts?

Referenced Threads:

While reading on GJ, these three posts came to my attention:

I personally did not own any semi-deep sockets until last week, but there have been many instances where it would have been less cumbersome to use a socket that was longer than a shallow, but shorter than a deep. Mainly for clearance purposes.

Thoughts?

Referenced Threads:
They do sound useful - maybe human nature - because I seem to need sockets that are really really deep or just like 2 mm deeper than a regular socket.

I agree just about all the time they are not needed. As stated, they can make some jobs less cumbersome. I did have a job a short while ago where a deep wouldn't fit and a shallow/standard size bottomed out, so it was one of the very very few where it was just what was needed. If you find a good deal and like to buy tools, why not get a set? If you are building up your tools, there are plenty to buy first.

My son sent me a set of GW's metric version for Christmas, along with a few other goodies, which surprised me. He asked my brother for a tool I might not have. I can think of a few rare occasions where they might be useful. Having said that for such a rarely used tool GW more than fits the bill. I like and have SO tools, but I wouldn't buy SO for these.

I have them in 1/4 and 3/8. Rarely use them but when I do they’re worth every penny.

I almost always grab a shallow socket unless more depth is needed.

I bought a set of SK4080 semi deep sockets many years ago. They are great. It’s rare that there are so many threads exposed that a deep socket is needed. Usually it’s just enough that it works. So I like them.

I have them in 1/4 and 3/8. Rarely use them but when I do they’re worth every penny.

I almost always grab a shallow socket unless more depth is needed.
For some reason, I used to be the same way. But lately, it seems like a semi-deep would have been nice since shallows would not give me the clearance that I prefer.

I guess it really depends on what you work on.

I bought deep well for work thinking they’d be more universal to use, but they are somewhat of a pain trying to work fast and when not necessary.

I can’t say I’ve ever used any mid length sockets.

PXL_20230224_184656959.jpg

I have them from Carlyle, the quality is okay but I must say I don't use them as much as standard and they are not the first thing in the box I go to.
What I do use a lot of is my old deep sockets on sensors found in Euro cars because they are broached all the way through. The mid have a place but I probably wouldn't buy them again for that feature alone.

The Garage Journal website will cost you a lot of money. Sometimes you’ll wind up with 5 floor jacks and 8 machinist vises.

That said, I can never have enough sockets, wrenches or pliers. There are just some freaking times that a few mm taller or a few mm shorter of a socket makes the difference between getting it done easy vs. things being a pain.

The Garage Journal website will cost you a lot of money. Sometimes you’ll wind up with 5 floor jacks and 8 machinist vises.

That said, I can never have enough sockets, wrenches or pliers. There are just some freaking times that a few mm taller or a few mm shorter of a socket makes the difference between getting it done easy vs. things being a pain.
I've taken inexpensive spare sockets and faced them in the lathe to make "semi-deeps" :D

Back