what oil gives the best protection on startup??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Gabe
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Really? is that an official statement from GM? could you give me a link to this? what engines were back spec'd for 0w20?

LINKY LINK

K. What does the M1 oil finder have to do with the 02 5.3 chev engine.
Where exactly did chev post that they back spec'd the 99 and up 5.3.

Exactly..I saw nothing on that link that said Chevy approved the use of a 0w20 in any of there engines.

So why is castrol worse than M1

GC and M1 AFE are two different animals.

I didn't mean to imply Castrol was a bad oil, just not a good fit for his application due to the relative thick viscosity when cold.

Click on the GM logo. It will take you HERE

M1 0w-20 is half way down...

The backwards compatibility is listed HERE

Towards the bottom of the page.

Last edited:

Click on the GM logo. It will take you HERE

M1 0w-20 is half way down...

The backwards compatibility is listed HERE

Towards the bottom of the page.

All it says is Dexos1 is backward compatible...not that 0w20 is..im confused???

M1 AFE 0w-20 is Dexos1 approved.

"dexos™ is recommended by GM for use in all its vehicles except those with Duramax diesel engines requiring the use of API CJ-4 engine oil."

M1 AFE 0w-20 is Dexos1 approved.

"dexos™ is recommended by GM for use in all its vehicles except those with Duramax diesel engines requiring the use of API CJ-4 engine oil."

I think you are confused...Just because a 0w20 was Dexos approved doesnt mean that any Chevy that backspec's Dexos can use 0w20...There are also 0w30's and 5w30's that have the Dexos spec on them...So that means all Chevy's can use anything between a 0w20 and 5w30 just because is was Dexos approved? the answer is no.

Yes Mobil 1 AFE 5w-20 is dexos approved.......for those vehicles that require 5w-20. Just because a 5w-20 is dexos approved does not mean you can use it in any vehicle requiring oil that is dexos approved. The oil has to be the correct weight per the owners manual.

Just because a 0w20 was Dexos approved doesnt mean that any Chevy that backspec's Dexos can use 0w20...There are also 0w30's and 5w30's that have the Dexos spec on them...So that means all Chevy's can use anything between a 0w20 and 5w30 just because is was Dexos approved? the answer is no.

Actually, yes.

Quite a few M1 oils carry GM approval, so he could run any of those in addition to the original API 5w-30 specification.

Originally Posted By: DevilsRule
Yes Mobil 1 AFE 5w-20 is dexos approved.......for those vehicles that require 5w-20. Just because a 5w-20 is dexos approved does not mean you can use it in any vehicle requiring oil that is dexos approved. The oil has to be the correct weight per the owners manual.

There are only two Dexos specifications: Dexos1 for gas motors and Dexos2 for diesel engines. They do not have separate categories for viscosity.

The oil must meet the correct specification in the owners manual.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
0w20 has not been back spec'd for GM. You want a 0w30 or a 5w30.

GM is not following API service categories. M1 0w-20 meets Dexos1 while PP 0w-20 does not; despite both being SN, only one is approved by GM.

I feel sorry for many who will use 0w20 in their older GM engines that spec 5w30. I know I won't and don't feel it is backwards compatible unless GM themselves release a bulletin about it.

The dexos spec is backwards compatible. The lists on the dexos web site are for oils that are approved. Backwards compatible means that it supercedes previous oil specifications and you can use it in older GM vehicles in the recommended weight per the owners manual. It does not mean that you can use a 0w-20 in a vehicle where 5w-30 is recommended just because the oil container has the dexos logo.

Originally Posted By: 71Chevyguy
I feel sorry for many who will use 0w20 in their older GM engines that spec 5w30. I know I won't and don't feel it is backwards compatible unless GM themselves release a bulletin about it.

"GM Powertrain engineers have developed dexos™ - a proprietary, global engine oil specification designed specifically to meet the requirements of GM vehicles."

GM themselves created the specification; it wasn't created by an aftermarket company.

M1 0w-20 has an HT/HS of 2.8, 5w-30 EP is 3.0, and 0w-40 is 3.8. As you can see, M1 0w-20 is just a HAIR below a 30 wt.

I'm pretty sure GM is saying to us DexOS1 licensed oil of the correct grade, not just any DexOS1 oil. They make several different engines. That 0W-20 might work well enough, but that doesn't mean The General approves.

It does not mean that you can use a 0w-20 in a vehicle where 5w-30 is recommended just because the oil container has the dexos logo.

That is EXACTLY what it means.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
I'm pretty sure GM is saying to us DexOS1 licensed oil of the correct grade, not just any DexOS1 oil. They make several different engines. That 0W-20 might work well enough, but that doesn't mean The General approves.

Dexos1 isn't like API services where the requirement changes by viscosity. GM created Dexos1 as a 'global engine oil' specification.

Lots of different engines use the same oil. I don't see what you are getting at.

It does not mean that you can use a 0w-20 in a vehicle where 5w-30 is recommended just because the oil container has the dexos logo.

That is EXACTLY what it means.

Forgive me if I am not understanding you. Are you stating that any oil can be used in any model of GM vehicle as long as it has the dexos logo......regardless of viscosity?

Forgive me if I am not understanding you. Are you stating that any oil can be used in any model of GM vehicle as long as it has the dexos logo......regardless of viscosity?

Pretty much. If you have a gas engine, you use Dexos1; if you have a diesel engine, you use Dexos2.

Pretty much. If you have a gas engine, you use Dexos1; if you have a diesel engine, you use Dexos2.

Correct, but in the recommended weight per the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back