The Extended Protection (Performance) Revolution

Don’t let fanboi-ism cloud your judgment. Stickers are cool, but even Blackstone provides stickers. Ravenol and Motul provide spouts.

I’m interested MOST in the brand that delivers an oil that stays in grade for the whole OCI and also provides a high retention TBN… it’s possible none of those 3 oils deliver the best overall results. So I say these things are niceties; but I will always pay for the premium results, rather than the premium features.

And if that road leads me to @High Performance Lubricants rather than any competitor, well, I trust the data and not my emotions. 👍🏻

Well, there is this place called "Europe" where 20K drains are more the expectation than the exception. In this place they also have standards that are rather more demanding than API.
Do these US market oils really hold up to extended drain intervals? In the absence of some objective testing standard we don't have any way of knowing.

Well, there is this place called "Europe" where 20K drains are more the expectation than the exception. In this place they also have standards that are rather more demanding than API.
Do these US market oils really hold up to extended drain intervals? In the absence of some objective testing standard we don't have any way of knowing.
I buy oils for top=tier wear protection / to lengthen the life out of Korean TGDIs / GDIs / typewriter MPIs.
I don't buy them to extend OCIs with these eventual, premature failed engines.

The wife won't give me permission to drive our 2 bad investments off a bridge, then swim back to shore. She keeps reminding me that I cannot swim.

Don’t laugh but, if all things are equal...I’m going with the better bottle and marketing. Remember those old Quaker State clear bottles?? I loved those things. Christ, I may start a “best looking bottle”, thread, but knowing this place someone has already done it, and I’ll be shamed for the rest of my life. 🤣

But speaking of extended oils...I’m seriously considering Amsoil next for a 12,000 mile interval. I’ve already done three 10,000 mile intervals using Mobil1 EP. Prior to that I’ve always done 5,000 mile intervals using whatever is on sale or rebate. I like to experiment with maintenance. I figure...everyone says not to do the 10,000 mile interval, I’d like to see if they’re wrong. And if I’m wrong (because I was one of those people). 😁
I'm influenced by the bottle graphics too. I don't like the look of the new Castrol logo at all. IMO, it kinda looks cartoonish and I wouldn't want it on my motor oil rack. I'll stick with Pennzoil a while longer or until they do something stupid to their bottles too!

20000 miles...maybe in a port injected Toyota 4 cylinder but what about a direct injected engine which is notorious for being hard on oil? When I drain oil out of my 440 horsepower EcoBeast its jet black and thin as if water got in there. No way Im taking it to 20000 miles.
Direct Injection = 5,000 mile / 6 month OCI as a smart oil regiment in mixed city & highway driving . I now drive less highways so I bump it back to 4,000 miles max for the next oil change .

Back