The Extended Protection (Performance) Revolution

Marketing rules

Ultimate, Extended.... still not good enough for me.

Gotta go.... working on pinnacle, optimum, zenith, absolute.... protection and performance levels.... after we get the quadruple, quintuple, ... decameguple action oils out 1st. That latter one requires some more R&D.

Ultimate Protection
Ultimate Extended Protection
Super Extended Protection
Longest Extended Protection

What is going on?

Advertising Adjective Creep (AAC) happens all the time. Watch for it to show up in all kinds of products. Would work excellent for selling these
amazonView attachment 155827
if it actually worked we wouldn't have as many stupid people. and to think the reliability of these are in the upper 90%.

20000 miles...maybe in a port injected Toyota 4 cylinder but what about a direct injected engine which is notorious for being hard on oil? When I drain oil out of my 440 horsepower EcoBeast its jet black and thin as if water got in there. No way Im taking it to 20000 miles.
two ways to gauge this. you might simply need a more robust oil or look either into increased oil capacity by way of oil pan and or oil cooler. 440 horsepower at the wheels is quite a bit so I think you also need to be concerned about tires too lol 😂.

I don't recommend going anywhere near 20k but people have done 20k intervals on Mobil 1 and they didn't seem to have any issues from it, one of them being ETCG on a Honda Odyssey.

When you look at the VOA's of these oils they are fairly close to their regular full synthetic options, so I think the main difference between them has to be something with the base stocks or something that does not show up on VOA's.
That’s probably my point, when you compare them in VOA’s they look identical. So, what is the difference? We don’t know and they’re not telling. It could be something, it could also be marketing. Perhaps their “regular “ synthetic options can perform the same as their extended options. I don’t think we know. It might be interesting to compare...but it won’t be me...I get anxious just doing 10,000 mile intervals. I. Not doing 20,000. 🤣🤣

Every type of lubricant has to fight oxidation …
Reckon Blackstone can tell which of these is in use … ?
And this is just offerings from 1 company:

9579DAA0-9C71-4F9E-A985-A9DABCA17CB0.png

Ultimate bottle is so sweet looking I'll probably fork over the extra ~$3 next time we do the Lexus and Focus that I currently run ST in.

Often these are $1/quart more and up to you when to drain it …
No need for extended nonsense here …
It is $2 difference on 5 Qt jugs at Wal-Mart right now.

I just bought a case of 3 jugs of M1 0W20 extended performance for $77.

I long for the days of conventional and synthetic oil. Not to mention each oil filter manufacturer had one version of filter. The exponential increase in choices is a nuisance for 99% of motorists.

I don't recommend going anywhere near 20k but people have done 20k intervals on Mobil 1 and they didn't seem to have any issues from it, one of them being ETCG on a Honda Odyssey.

When you look at the VOA's of these oils they are fairly close to their regular full synthetic options, so I think the main difference between them has to be something with the base stocks or something that does not show up on VOA's.
There was a thread on here recently where it showed under lab analysis there was a significant difference between Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum, yet they look like ringers in your typical UOA.

I suspect much of the same would be found in other brands.

Reactions: wlk
Ultimate bottle is so sweet looking I'll probably fork over the extra ~$3 next time we do the Lexus and Focus that I currently run ST in.
Don’t laugh but, if all things are equal...I’m going with the better bottle and marketing. Remember those old Quaker State clear bottles?? I loved those things. Christ, I may start a “best looking bottle”, thread, but knowing this place someone has already done it, and I’ll be shamed for the rest of my life. 🤣

But speaking of extended oils...I’m seriously considering Amsoil next for a 12,000 mile interval. I’ve already done three 10,000 mile intervals using Mobil1 EP. Prior to that I’ve always done 5,000 mile intervals using whatever is on sale or rebate. I like to experiment with maintenance. I figure...everyone says not to do the 10,000 mile interval, I’d like to see if they’re wrong. And if I’m wrong (because I was one of those people). 😁

Don’t laugh but, if all things are equal...I’m going with the better bottle and marketing. Remember those old Quaker State clear bottles?? I loved those things. Christ, I may start a “best looking bottle”, thread, but knowing this place someone has already done it, and I’ll be shamed for the rest of my life. 🤣

But speaking of extended oils...I’m seriously considering Amsoil next for a 12,000 mile interval. I’ve already done three 10,000 mile intervals using Mobil1 EP. Prior to that I’ve always done 5,000 mile intervals using whatever is on sale or rebate. I like to experiment with maintenance. I figure...everyone says not to do the 10,000 mile interval, I’d like to see if they’re wrong. And if I’m wrong (because I was one of those people). 😁
It's a thing for sure. I think Liquimoly has the best bottles/features. I do remember the clear QS bottles.

It's a thing for sure. I think Liquimoly has the best bottles/features. I do remember the clear QS bottles.
Haven’t bought LM bottles, but Motul has an extendable flexible spout built in, and Ravenol has a hard spout built in.

The biggest thing I disliked about Ravenol when I used to buy it was you absolutely could not get the cap off to pour used oil back in, and the funnel would hydrolock and bubble oil all over.

Haven’t bought LM bottles, but Motul has an extendable flexible spout built in, and Ravenol has a hard spout built in.

The biggest thing I disliked about Ravenol when I used to buy it was you absolutely could not get the cap off to pour used oil back in, and the funnel would hydrolock and bubble oil all over.
LM 5L bottles have a spout as well and even include a window reminder decal!

Back