VW Oil Help, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any build up likely isn't going to occur until > 50k miles or so. Depending on your driving that's quite a few years.

Manual cleaning of the valves is about $400 to $500.

A transmission fluid change for the DSG is $400 and people still buy them and accept that as part of the routine maintenance.

Originally Posted By: fredf
Any build up likely isn't going to occur until > 50k miles or so. Depending on your driving that's quite a few years.

A transmission fluid change for the DSG is $400 and people still buy them and accept that as part of the routine maintenance.

fredf,

To me, buying a new car with a well known problem (I am not including those driven in Europe)is like spending $1M on a house you know is a fixer upper. Just not something I want to do. I was really looking forward to the possibility of having one so it is a real disappointment.

Originally Posted By: pscholte

fredf,

To me, buying a new car with a well known problem (I am not including those driven in Europe)is like spending $1M on a house you know is a fixer upper. Just not something I want to do. I was really looking forward to the possibility of having one so it is a real disappointment.

I hear you but then I might ask: can you name a car without any known problems? They all have weaknesses that vary from one to another. At least with this one you know what to look for and how to fix it. And it isn't always a problem. And it's not a huge expense to fix it if it does occur.

Using your house comparison you might say it's like buying a renovated house for $1M or buying a fixer upper for $700,000 and putting $300,000 into it. At least then the $300,000 you spent was done your way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pscholte

fredf,

I hear but then I might ask: can you name a car without any known problems? They all have weaknesses that vary from one to another. At least with this one you know what to look for and how to fix it. And it isn't always a problem.

Using your house comparison you might say it's like buying a renovated house for $1M or buying a fixer upper for $700,000 and putting $300,000 into it. At least then the $300,000 you spent was done your way.

Valid point...it's just when you talk engine internals I get nervous. If they needed alignment more often than most or used up batteries quicker than most that would be one thing, but if you talk crankshaft, pistons, cams, lifters, valves I get skittish.
sick.gif

I was debating GTI vs TDI. Between this issue and the fuel pump issue with the TDI I think I've effectively ruled VDubs out

Back looking at Honder

Goose

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
I was debating GTI vs TDI. Between this issue and the fuel pump issue with the TDI I think I've effectively ruled VDubs out

Back looking at Honder

Goose

Yeah it is hard to take on the likelihood there will be issues but I really saw myself in one of the "dubs." I had an Audi A6 2.7T and it was a blast to drive when it wasn't needing maintenance. Serious stuff too.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
You guys are missing the point...yes I know there are 502 vw oils out there that's not the issue really. The issue is to prevent the crud on the intake valves. People were saying low saps oil may help.

The top end oiler sounds like an idea but not now under warranty. Even though it would be easy to remove. If WMI doesn't help then I'm not sure the oiler will help.

Intake crud prevention is what I'm looking at here guys.

I guess I should just let it be and in 50k miles pay to have the valves scraped. I should have researched this engine before the purchase. Lesson learned.

Jeff

I have already told you, high rpms,=high speeds. Go to race track now and then and fry that engine for some time.
If you keep driving that engine in city, on interstate at 2000 rpms, well there is no sollution.
Those engines are design for high speed environment not here where people seriously think that high speed is bigger problem then driving 40mph in left lane or driving on all season tires, thinking they actually work on 115 degrees and -20 degrees.
That is the whole issue with this engne.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I posted my UOA today.

What happened to your UOA? I can't find your post anymore. Was it deleted?

Probably deleted due to personal attacks because the interval was short. IIRC, it was a decent uoa except for slightly elevated Fe which was also there in the previous fill. It was a 5k-ish oci and the TBN was good.

-Dennis

you don't have to drive high speeds to get the RPMs up. VW made that quite clear just getting the RPMs up regardless of speed is all that it takes to clean off the valves.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
you don't have to drive high speeds to get the RPMs up. VW made that quite clear just getting the RPMs up regardless of speed is all that it takes to clean off the valves.

True, I was just trying to make a point lol

Back looking at Honder

Goose

Every car has its issues. I wouldn't rule out a car just because of well-documented "problem" that's being fixed. I'd rather get a car with a known-issue than something that appears to be infallible.

No my Evo didn't have near 1000hp but one thing is the Evo did everything "very well" I loved the evo for it being so well rounded. My Evo was making more hp per liter though then those 500+ hp cars. On E85 I was running 400whp but on 91 pump was 340whp while getting 25 hwy 19 cty that's just amazing to me.

The Evo had to go. I was getting to wrecklesd with it. I do miss it though.

Jeff

40k fluid changes on the DSG is no big deal. I mean $400 every 40k? Not a deal breaker. I purchased the DSG for its performance and practical use. Quicker to 60, quicker in the 1/4 and better mpg's (by 1 mpg). To me it wasa no brainer...

Jeff

The UOA I have up is using PU Euro 5w40. After 3100 miles it sheared to a low 30w. Blackstone recommended 4k oil change intervals. Then re sample. instead I'm running M1 0w40 and will test it. Whichever shears less I will keep on. The M1 cab be had for half the price of the PU. That's huge.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: dparm

Back looking at Honder

Goose

Every car has its issues. I wouldn't rule out a car just because of well-documented "problem" that's being fixed. I'd rather get a car with a known-issue than something that appears to be infallible.

^^^^^ I agree 100%

Jeff

All cars have some type of quirks. That is for sure. This GTI to me doesn't have a quirk per say, it's just something as over engineered as the Germans tend to do in their cars I just find it puzzling that this problem exists at all. Agreed that it may take 50-60k to see if there is any issue and many go 100k+ with no issues. . so who knows.

Jeff

Last edited:
I think VAG has finally conceded that even the TSI has valve deposit problems as the new EA888 engines will have DI AND port fuel delivery ala Toyota FRS/ Subaru BRZ. There are several postings on the forums showing this new intake architecture, especially the longitudinally mounted units in the Audis. There was some debate as to whether or not it would be included in US bound cars, but recent press releases are showing both port and DI in text and pictures. Thank goodness for port fuel wash.

Last edited:
Correction: New EA888 with dual fuel delivery and VVL will be for US GTI (and Audis) only and not line-wide US models using 2.0T (Turbo Beetle, GLI etc.) as this may have suggested. Mea culpa for the confusion.

I have read about the mk7 having twin injection but have also read it will not make it to the USA.

We just won't know for sure until the mk7 hits our shores.

Keep in mind though that the purpose of the port injection is not to clean the valves that's just a side benefit. It has more to do with emissions and such I'm sure.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back