2024 Jetta Oil

I usually don't see any 504/507 grade at our two local Walmart super centers. May be a regional thing. The 504/507 is low saps for the diesel particulates and extended range. Great oil in the original 5W30. You do pay a premium for VW specification over the more common stuff available with API approvals. Gallon ST 5W30 synthetic versus a gallon of M1 Euro ESP 5W30 504/507. Twice as much?
There is much more to it than just compatibility with particulate filter.
Higher HTHS, more stringent deposit limits, evaporation loss etc.
VW504.00/507.00 could have for example higher HTHS than some XW40 oils. Using VW504.00 in an engine that requires only API SP for example is never an issue. Using STP 5W30 API SP in VW 2.0T is always an issue. As far as I know STP has oil meeting VW504.00/507.00 specification (NOT approved) and it ain’t cheap.

So what do you think the reason for the massive cost difference between 502/504 and 508/509?

Is that a conspiracy?

I never realised American Mechanics were so stupid they couldn’t read the side of an oil can….
Different additives as the oil manufacturers move away from calcium heavy blends. More additive technology and expense with the new thinner oils versus older spec. for many reasons as @edyvw has mentioned.

And not just 'Murican mechanics that are dumb. Lots all over the world.

Last edited:
And 508/509 was always green.
Well it's actually that the dye is blue (and actually called "VW Blue Oil" in some cases), so when mixed with amber (yellow) oil, turns green. Though you would have learned that primary color lesson and paid attention back in crayon class instead of you admonishing other kids for coloring outside the lines.

Last edited:
Well it's actually that the dye is blue (and actually called "VW Blue Oil" in some cases), so when mixed with amber (yellow) oil, turns green. Though you would have learned that primary color lesson and paid attention back in crayon class instead of you admonishing other kids for coloring outside the lines.

some may enjoy this VAG 508 00 comparison

vag 508 motul.jpg

And only applies for using a non-OEM branded/supplied product that is equiavent so here, if VW says 508 and you use 504, sorry, the MM isn't invovled b/c you aren't using what they call for as I've posted multiple times, it's not a recommended for in the VW manual, it's a required.
the Vw manual doesn’t have a viscosity listing that I saw. There is a sticker under the hood though. Unlike Toyota, which specifically says to use a specific oil only, I don’t see the same with VW. To each their own.

the Vw manual doesn’t have a viscosity listing that I saw. There is a sticker under the hood though. Unlike Toyota, which specifically says to use a specific oil only, I don’t see the same with VW. To each their own.
I have 4 VWs. They require am approval. VW508 00 which are 0W20s by default.

Back