VW admits to rigging diesel emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What's wrong with a traditional gasoline engine?

Zero need for diesel cars.

Diesel engines have lots of things going for them that, beginning with better efficiency, being simpler and having increased durability. The American consumers are just slow to adopt something they are not very familiar with. Diesel engines can offer excellent performance across the board.

http://www.terrapass.com/science-technology/audi-diesel-win/

Originally Posted By: Burt
"We do not and will not tolerate violations of any kind of our internal rules or of the law," Winterkorn said."

Okay, so VW will identify a fall guy and make an example of him. But what happens when you reprogram the cars to meet emissions, but they clog up with carbon? Will you get your check book out and compensate the customer that put their faith in you and your advertising?

Maybe the penalty is rather a loss in perormance than premature death of the emissions components? First of all, it will be interesting to follow the investigation in Europe. Did VW cheat there also? For sure this debacle will make selling diesel cars more difficult in markets where diesel cars are not yet established. Since in Europe diesel engines represent almost half the market, a viable solution will have to be found and implemented.

Getting 250-300K miles out of gasoline car is good enough for 99% of all Americans.

That's an unaspiring attitude that also focuses only on one point. Maybe not everyone is happy with what's good enough for you?

There's no "need" for lots of things, but it's nice to have a choice - diesel, petrol, V8, rotary, turbo, etc. Choice is good
smile.gif

Again, no need for diesel engine in cars.

I'd say no need for gasoline engines in cars.

Diesels are more efficient, last longer, get better MPGs,
and something most green folks don't consider, it takes LESS
MUCH less energy and work to refine diesel compared to gasoline.

Originally Posted By: hpb
There's no "need" for lots of things, but it's nice to have a choice - diesel, petrol, V8, rotary, turbo, etc. Choice is good
smile.gif

+1

I think diesel cars are great, the mpg is fantastic and they're fun to drive with gobs of torque.

It takes much less energy to refine the fuel, but much more energy to repair the VW offerings!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
...... but much more energy to repair the VW offerings!
crackmeup2.gif

That stopped being accurate about a decade or so ago.
The current VW Golf is as reliable or MORE so than the typical Japanese models.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

...... but much more energy to repair the VW offerings!
crackmeup2.gif

That stopped being accurate about a decade or so ago.
The current VW Golf is as reliable or MORE so than the typical Japanese models.
Too early to say a new car is going to be more reliable than past models.

My TDI proves otherwise. Was drop dead reliable for 10 years, then started showing it's age.

Small diesel cars rock. This is a pic I took last week of my Hyundai I30 FD 1.6 CRDI. Fuel consumption for the last 870 Km with AC on all the time and 70% heavy city traffic.

That's 33.6 MPG for the metric impaired folks
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

2505qbr.jpg

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Diesels are more efficient, last longer, get better MPGs,
and something most green folks don't consider, it takes LESS
MUCH less energy and work to refine diesel compared to gasoline.

Once the EPA has their way all of those benefits of diesel will be greatly reduced.

Ahh,,,got their hand caught in the ole Cookie Jar caper..

personally am deeply sorry that we have broken the trust of our customers and the public," Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn said in a statement issued over the weekend. "We at Volkswagen will do everything that must be done in order to re-establish the trust," he said, adding that the maker will work openly with authorities investigating the alleged scam.

The company also said it would stop sales of the 4-cylinder diesel engines involved in the recall, including the VW Jetta, Beetle and Golf models sold during the 2009 to 2014 model-years, the Audi A3 sold during the same period, and the 2014-15 VW Passat.

You guys buying the above remarks?? If one knows that there are [censored] engines being made, fix them first....but then again , look what GM has just done and the new lawsuits there,,,,,now for all of you that have been enjoying those new-car payments, the thrill maybe gone...

Again, no need for diesel engine in cars.
ABSOLUTELY want and need a diesel in med size suv or minivan to boost fuel milage into the high 20's around town, City driving. A Turbo 2.4L should do it.
Diesels are ubiquitous in Europe where gasoline fuel is over 1.5e/L
Where are they Stateside?
Now I recall I think MB may have one - but for a price ...

On the other hand I dislike following diesels that don't have DPF andf urea - makes me sick in the stomach during may morning commute. Call it: Morning Diesel Sickness

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The power elite don't want diesel to be the "go to" fuel in the US.

Too many people have their money invested in refining gasoline.

So USEPA has set a high emissions standard for the US diesel auto market.

That's the reason Mazda can't reach the standard with their diesel yet.

VW couldn't make it without cooking the books.

It's all about the money boys.

A) That's absolutely ridiculous
B) Cummins, VM Motori, Isuzu, Daimler, and plenty of others meet the rules just fine. VW wanted to cheat to provide better performance
C) If the mythical 'power elite' want to harm diesel sales in the US, then they probably suggested this fiasco to VW because that's EXACTLY what its going to do. VW just whizzed in the bathtub of diesel vehicle sales in a way we haven't seen since the Oldsmobile diesel of 1978.

I can think of a few:
- it lets passenger cars tap into a different and more prevalent fraction of crude lil
- The diesel cycle is inherently more efficient than the gasoline cycle
- The efficiency gain when you turbocharge a diesel is FAR greater than the gain when you turbocharge a gasoline engine, because there's no detonation limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back