Volkswagen Beetle. A classic car on a budget?

I had two of them. My favorite was the 68. We rebuilt the engine and balanced all the rods and pistons. Shaved the heads a bit for higher compression, re-jetted the carburetor for more oomph. It ran great but ran best on premium becuase of the changes done to it. Parts were super cheap.

What do you consider cheap? These are cult cars now.
It looks like you'd spend ten grand for a decent driver.
For a few bucks more, you could buy a Karman-Ghia, the same mechnicals with a truly attractive vintage look body.
A 'vert in either would be just the ticket for hot weather use, IMHO.

I’ve always wanted a classic car. I just don’t have the disposable income to afford one. The closest thing I have is a ‘91 Previa, but parts are not really available for it. Many important parts are no longer available. So once it dies I think I want to switch to something else.

American classics look better, but they just cost too much.

I never considered a beetle because it is European. I have never ever felt any draw to European cars, especially ones with a past as colorful as the beetle. But I have been thinking that a super beetle may be good option for someone like me.

I love working on vehicles, especially if it is a car that is my hobby car, not a daily. I had fun tuning a scooter carburetor a few days ago. So, maybe a carbureted beetle would be good for me. Cheap, old school, fun. It would just be my beach cruiser car.

Anyone have experience with these? I know it won’t be as reliable as a Toyota Camry or something, but it will be cheap, won’t it?
If you want a classic that's cheap look for a big 4 door sedan. Most people wanted a 2 door.

Nice rust-free Beetles are getting up-there in value/price. You could purchase something American made with A/C from the 60's for about the same price if you stay away from the high priced high demand muscle cars (or cars that can be cloned into a high demand muscle car, or cars that can be parted-out to restore a high demand muscle car). For something even more affordable, look at 4-doors.

I've always thought that sunroof bugs were a good compromise between convertibles and hard roof models. Karman-Ghias really are special and (with VW power trains) fairly easy and cheap to maintain.

Just don't drive any of them in very cold weather. Drivers scraping frost off the windshield (inside and out) while driving is not a good look.

I had a 1968 Beetle for 30 years. Very easy to work on, I'm no mechanic but I learned how to work on it, even did its engine overhauls. But No aircon. I live in a warm climate and after some years decided to have one installed. Things that needed to be upgraded: change generator to alternator is a must to meet the demands of increased current draw. Engine swap to 1500 or 1600 cc. Upgrade to doghouse oil cooler for better heat dissipation. Use of higher octane gas to avoid overheating. Regular won't cut it.

I will counter this. I would recommend something a little more substantial. Finding one now with little rust could be quite pricey. And I wouldn’t want to put my wife and kids in one these days just because they are small and not particularly safe, so the practical usability for me is limited.

I certainly don’t want to take away from the experience that is VW, and folks have always loved their bugs, but for the classic car experience, there are other options.

one area that still has really good support and also has functional seatbelts and AC and European points to the 70s and 80s Volvos. There are decent survivors out there and they are more substantial machines. There is more metal in them to work with. A naturally aspirated version will give the same thrills of 0-60 in 18 seconds as a, well wait, I’m not sure if a bug can reach 60.

redeux the inside and out, lower the front end just a hair, and enjoy it. Find a stick if you can. Wagon gets extra points, though you may have to fight someone off for the wagon.

A friend's daughter drove a VW. One day he dropped it off at my house so I could flash the generator. I drove it around town for a bit. Not my style, but I thought it had good road manners.

Yeah, sorry @AutoMechanic. I know you love your bug. And they are Great to work with. But finding one rust free is so hard. And when you do then it’s $$. good bugs are increasingly hard to find, and once you lay down the $, you’re almost starting from a budget disadvantage.

my dad was a bug guy. I wanted to recommend a VW bus, … I *loved* mine, but those got bit up in the VW air cooled phenomina too.

again, totally my opinion only. No disrespect to the beatle.

How classic are you wanting? Do you want a convertible?

BMW E30 convertibles are still reasonable, and they have a definite 80's vibe to them (which is unfortunately in classic car territory now). And it would be a safer to ride in IF that is a concern.

That said, Bugs are fun. Super Beetles ride and drive better if the front suspension parts are in good order. The front end is not as tough as the old torsion beam front end, so not good dune buggy material -- but much better on the road. The 1600 dual port engine makes enough power if they aren't tired. The worst part of aircooled VW ownership now is the large amount of garbage aftermarket parts.

Good luck. Ask lots of questions if you there is something you want to know.

Yeah, sorry @AutoMechanic. I know you love your bug. And they are Great to work with. But finding one rust free is so hard. And when you do then it’s $$. good bugs are increasingly hard to find, and once you lay down the $, you’re almost starting from a budget disadvantage.

my dad was a bug guy. I wanted to recommend a VW bus, … I *loved* mine, but those got bit up in the VW air cooled phenomina too.

again, totally my opinion only. No disrespect to the beatle.
I completely agree 100% on the rust. Mine needs new floor pans. The underside though is fairly solid. Few spots on the body that I’ll have to patch as well. I like them for the coolness. I’ve always been obsessed with them. But the rust might make for a fun restoration though depending on how much money one wants to spend.

one area that still has really good support and also has functional seatbelts and AC and European points to the 70s and 80s Volvos. There are decent survivors out there and they are more substantial machines. There is more metal in them to work with. A naturally aspirated version will give the same thrills of 0-60 in 18 seconds as a, well wait, I’m not sure if a bug can reach 60.
We really liked our '86 Volvo. If I was buying one today I'd go for a fairly basic 240 series. Not especially cheap to maintain but a solid powertrain and safe as houses.

I will counter this. I would recommend something a little more substantial. Finding one now with little rust could be quite pricey. And I wouldn’t want to put my wife and kids in one these days just because they are small and not particularly safe, so the practical usability for me is limited.

I certainly don’t want to take away from the experience that is VW, and folks have always loved their bugs, but for the classic car experience, there are other options.

redeux the inside and out, lower the front end just a hair, and enjoy it. Find a stick if you can. Wagon gets extra points, though you may have to fight someone off for the wagon.
I’m seeing that bugs are not as cheap as I thought they were. Older volvos don’t look very good to me, but I’ll consider it. Maybe old American iron would be better? I just thought the cost to keep a 60s or 70s American tank would be much more than a beetle.

I got rid of my dad's 70 that was in perfect shape at our yard sale after he passed. Wasn't my thing. I do wonder what became of the car. They are still available for a lower price than an American car of the same vintage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811-061440.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811-061440.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 14
Just get one with no structural rust and you're golden. I had a 74 non-Super for a little while, just too hot in Texas to enjoy something like that. It was fun to tinker with but I never did get the running hot situation figured out. Oil temperature was on the verge of being too hot when on the highway, and me and my VW mechanic went over everything. Apparently engines can be dropped in 15 minutes. I spent an hour putting an exhaust system on it. Very easy work on. Can be challenging to keep up with traffic, especially on-ramps, so relegate it to Sunday drives. If you live in a climate where this car can't be enjoyed, I would recommend something else.
View attachment 171976
I had a '69 Karmann Ghia in college. After it rusted holes above the headlights like all of them did in Michigan, I Bondo'd it up and took it to Earl Scheib. I believe it was that exact that exact same color.

Back