Phobia of working under a car on jack stands

Love putting the wheels underneath there if they are coming off. They are as thick as I am.

I don’t give much thought if the tires are all on the ground. I might get pinned if one blew out while I was under. I wonder if that’s a thing?

Use wheel chocks and you'll be fine. I do stuff like this without wheel chocks all the time but my driveway is almost level so the car won't try to roll even in neutral with no brakes.

I get the same feelings under cars, no matter how well supported.

Horizontal Claustrophobia

When it hits, I cannot get out fast enough. Then out for a couple minutes, breathe, good to go, and no problem until work done. I can be vertical in a very narrow space, no issue.

This happened to me as well in an MRI machine when I opened my eyes. Holy poop. Give me the blinders!!

The only time it crosses my mind is when I need to do something time consuming, but even then, my focus soon turns to the work, and not the surrounding.

Otherwise, I try to spend as little time underneath as possible, and always have at least one end up on ramps, not jack stands, if the entire car has to come off the ground. Chocks always.

But this scene gave me a shudder when watching this show:

Twenty years ago I decided that working under cars was something I would never to again. I gave away my ramps and jackstands.
Then a few years ago I bought a Miata and new jackstands !

There are some jobs that just need a proper automotive lift to be completed safely. This may be one of those.
Automotive lifts are not 100% safe. Just watch some youtube videos of them failing.
I would never trust a small pad bolted to concrete, with hopes the car is balanced correct on it, let alone pull hard on a big pipe or wrench that could pull everything down. A fall from a few feet versus a fall from 5 or more feet is just better on everything involved.

Automotive lifts are not 100% safe. Just watch some youtube videos of them failing.
I would never trust a small pad bolted to concrete, with hopes the car is balanced correct on it, let alone pull hard on a big pipe or wrench that could pull everything down. A fall from a few feet versus a fall from 5 or more feet is just better on everything involved.

Nothing is 100% safe. My point is simply some jobs are not suitable for jack stands/ground work and potentially safer on an aerial automotive lift.

I can do any job there is to do with out a car lift. As I have done so many times. And I disagree that it is safer to do on an aerial lift.
Easier on the lift sometimes yes. Welding on the underside is one place a lift would be nice, and maybe a bit safer, but the big machines I had to weld on could not go on a lift.

I throw everything and the kitchen sink under there if I'm going underneath. Ive got a half dozen jacks, a dozen jack stands, a bunch of tires and all kinds of bricks and blocks, I'll throw as many of them under there as I can fit. There's no possible way it can fall on me.

If there was an earthquake I'd dive under the car for safety so I don't get hit by pieces of falling garage.

I saw this on FB today.

432650973_871063978366696_8495262818271755207_n.jpg

For my Focus front sub frame replacement I used a couple 24" rounds of wood, about 18" tall under the pinch welds well back so I had room to work on my back under the front of the car. Kind of a PITA to move around but they are solid and unless I hit the car with my tractor, its not falling down. TBH I don't really like axle stands either, but they are convenient.
Having two thick sections of tree holding up the car is pretty reassuring when you are yanking as hard as you can on a breaker bar.

I don't blame you, I won't work under jack stands either. The good thing is, most jobs that require them aren't expensive to pay to have done.
I’m not the biggest fan of that either.

And in OP’s situation, there’s also the issue of the drivetrain disconnected, so no parking pawl holding the vehicle (fwiw, not saying anyone should rely).

But that’s a concern with wheels on the flat ground too.

Honestly, the jackpoint jack stands really are a comforting thing. They’re way more secure and sturdy. Easier to get up on as well. Maybe not as high…

Wheel cribbing is a good approach too, IMO.

And lots of big lumber and stuff underneath.

I get the same feelings under cars, no matter how well supported.

Horizontal Claustrophobia

When it hits, I cannot get out fast enough. Then out for a couple minutes, breathe, good to go, and no problem until work done. I can be vertical in a very narrow space, no issue.

This happened to me as well in an MRI machine when I opened my eyes. Holy poop. Give me the blinders!!
That’s interesting.

Honestly I get more concerned under a car on a lift. Maybe too many videos of cars falling off of lifts… that car is high up… at least when I put mine on stands I know I have a lot of other junk besides my body, for it to fall on.

I’m not a fan of being in playground tunnels with my kids. I love chasing them through soft tent type tunnels but there’s something about being in a hard tube…

I always liked working in a trench. Used to have access to one and to be honest, this is my favorite way of working on cars for transmission or exhaust related work. I'm not a fan of lifts for the same reason i hate jack stands i guess, even as safe as they are, it's like people afraid of taking a flight.

Something i've just realized is that trenches used to be very popular here a few decades back and still are in other european countries but i've never seen a single north american youtuber or forum user work in one.

Lube/Grease pits are around in the US, Just about every Walmart super center has one, Along with quick lube joints.

For a hobbyist or independent repair garage, It's really expensive to implement in new construction much less adding one.

If I had to guess.....I bet more people are injured as the result of Lube/Grease pits than surface mount 2-post lifts.

Lube/Grease pits are around in the US, Just about every Walmart super center has one, Along with quick lube joints.

For a hobbyist or independent repair garage, It's really expensive to implement in new construction much less adding one.

If I had to guess.....I bet more people are injured as the result of Lube/Grease pits than surface mount 2-post lifts.
For sure if there are ladders or steep steps involved.

Semi-truck jack stands for your sedan ought to be strong enough :)
For me the plusses to them are:

-They are the pin style
-They have a wide base so very planted
-Not even close to their capacity with the things I work on
-Super heavy so while they are a pain to move, it isn't likely they can be easily kicked out or knocked out of place

Obviously they are way overkill for my car or Jeep, but the stability is awesome for working on things that have awkward lift points like my Kubota tractor, riding lawn mowers, ATVs, or things like heavy tractor 3 point attachments.

For me the plusses to them are:

-They are the pin style
-They have a wide base so very planted
-Not even close to their capacity with the things I work on
-Super heavy so while they are a pain to move, it isn't likely they can be easily kicked out or knocked out of place

Obviously they are way overkill for my car or Jeep, but the stability is awesome for working on things that have awkward lift points like my Kubota tractor, riding lawn mowers, ATVs, or things like heavy tractor 3 point attachments.
I wasn't criticizing, BTW, too much is just right when it comes to not getting squished like a bug.

Just to mention ....... Couple years ago I took some 2x8 boards I had and cut up in 10 inch pieces to stack under the vehicle as a fail safe.

Back