Thoughts and opinions on 2012 beetle 2.0tsi

We are looking at a 2012 Beetle at our local car dealer. It is a 2012 beetle 2.0 tsi manual transmission with 93k miles. Looks to be in good shape. How reliable are these generally? I read about the timing chain tensioner but the vw dealer I called ran the vin and said it has the updated tensioner and should be good to go. Just looking for a fun little daily to keep the miles off of my WRX. Let me know what you think!

Tensioner isn't the only issue with the CBFA's. The chains do wear out quite regularly, balance shafts are an issue as they get older, and there's a whole litany of other issues with that motor.

They aren't completely terrible to own if you're capable of doing major engine repairs yourself, but if you're looking for a backup toaster oven, I would keep looking.

I’ve never understood buying another car to keep miles off another one. Absolutely puzzling to my brain.
The WRX is going to be a fun car, track days etc. going to mod it more as well. It’s a Subaru so doing that means I probably shouldn’t also then rely on it. That’s the logic behind a daily driver car purchase.

If you're buying an old vw get a diesel and watch out for cp4 pump issues
Old? I thought cp4 pump issues was on the newer ones. Mine was a 2004 and I don’t think of it as that old. VE pump, certainly IDI, those are old…

I sold one that had 215K on it and it still ran great. I still have a TDI and R line TFSI with K04 both have been trouble free. Would I buy another one? You bet, the MKVI PQ35 chassis they are based on is a good one, rust is not a issue with these cars.
BTW unless you live in CA it will the CCTA engine not the CBFA.

I’ve never understood buying another car to keep miles off another one. Absolutely puzzling to my brain.
Says the man with,
2018 Genesis G80 3.3TT - 92k
2007 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L - 113k
1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L - 161k
in his signature.

Makes perfect sense to me. If I had nice clean car in excellent condition that I keep washed and detailed, I'd certainly want to take something else out like a beater on rainy day or when the roads are covered in snow. I guess being in Phoenix, that concept is alien to you?

Says the man with,
2018 Genesis G80 3.3TT - 92k
2007 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L - 113k
1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L - 161k
in his signature.

Makes perfect sense to me. If I had nice clean car in excellent condition that I keep washed and detailed, I'd certainly want to take something else out like a beater on rainy day or when the roads are covered in snow. I guess being in Phoenix, that concept is alien to you?
I'm not saving the miles on anything. My cars sit and bake in the Phoenix sun as I don't have a garage yet.

2018 Genesis G80 3.3TT - My daily driver that gets all the commuting miles. I have zero intention of keeping the miles low on it.

2007 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L - My little sister drives it to college and all around town. She's driving it to Vegas next month. I drove it once this year while the Genesis was waiting on a new tire to come in.

1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L - It's been getting quite a bit of miles towing my trailer back and forth to California this year. Gets a lot of use.

^^You're probably right but I always heard the New Beetle was a reskinned Jetta.

I have no exposure to the car.
A dealership here used the New Beetle's picture on a billboard for years before it came out.
"Future model" was the photo's caption.

Back