Vehicle recommendation for the war zone use

How about the Lada Niva? Seems to me something with 4 wheel drive would be an asset. Good for you for volunteering.

9A29A641-0408-451D-8CFA-A19020646BDA.jpg

Reactions: GON
I would like to tap into your collective mind. I’m back home again for yet another tour of defending my fatherland — The Ukraine 🇺🇦

I need a vehicle to travel around and near the front lines. Roads here often resemble the worst of the metro Detroit and then some. Often there is no time to slow down much for the potholes — I don’t expect to drive full speed into them, but no tip toeing around them either most of the time. Cars here experience extra heavy duty use

My budget is $10,000 and not more.

what kind of vehicle (year, make, model) comes to your mind to serve in the above environment, that would cost NOT MORE then $10,000 in USA?

Thanks!

*I shall add that my colleagues use even passenger cars in this environment, so it is not like it’s Wrangler-Rubicon-only type of an environment, but it is pretty, pretty bad

$10k budget and you’ve resorted to an American car forum for suggestions? Where’s the billions going that we’ve given your country? Where do you plan on buying this thing? Does Ukraine have many dealerships or car buying options nowadays?

What's easier to obtain in Ukraine, diesel fuel or gasoline?
Why not look in Europe? No shipping required and vastly
more used diesel engined cars available across the pond -
France, Italy, Germany and Poland.

I figured as he called Ukraine “the Ukraine.”

Ukraine is (was?) a sovereign nation so there’s no need for the word the.
Yes, “the” was dropped after the break-up of the Soviet Union, starting in 1989. For a man on the street, this probably became apparent during the Olympic Games of 1994. Ukraine appeared as an independent country with its athletes holding the blue and yellow flag.

6A4C442B-6ED1-4CCE-B9D4-704F35244AAA.jpeg

Last edited:
He said 10K in the USA right? I suspect perhaps there's shipping via military or contractor means?

There seems to be myriad ancillary questions - are you going to be traveling 10 miles or hundreds? How big a fella are you? How incognito does it need to be, not a bright red f350 seems self evident but beyond that? I suspect the consequences of being disabled by a pothole or other obstacle could be somewhat more dire than might befall the average bank robber, but maybe that's my imagination and too many movies talking.

Coworkers were mentioned, what's the prevailing choice/reasoning and what are the constant shortfalls in the conventional local wisdom?

Also guessing something russian may not be the best logistic choice, but whatever that van thing they were driving in russia in the long way video was pretty cool.

I suspect the consequences of being disabled by a pothole or other obstacle could be somewhat more dire than might befall the average bank robber, but maybe that's my imagination and too many movies talking.
Highly suggest this article to separate movie fiction from how conflicts are fought today. Note that space, drones, etc. are the center of gravity for many tactics and operations today. A fleet of cheap drones can much easier spot a G wagon, Suburban, etc.... over a Toyota Corolla, for numerous reasons.

"being disabled by a pothole or other obstacle could be somewhat more dire". Research will likely conclude that Toyota Corollas are no more likely to be disabled than a SUV or light duty truck by a monster pothole, regardless of what marketers are promoting.

Depends..... significantly easier to hit an armored Suburban than a Corolla with a RPG, and for more than one reason.

A G-wagon is much easier to spot by a drone and other methods, than a Lada Riva in Armenia or Azerbaijan.
Reliable and under-the-radar might be better descriptors than bulletproof. :unsure:

Is this thread legit?

Reliable and under-the-radar might be better descriptors than bulletproof. :unsure:

Is this thread legit?
AZJ, you have to change with the times. Armenia went with the legacy description of "bulletproof" and got crushed by a bunch of cheap drones and the like.

In a conflict today I am much more concerned with a fleet of cheap drones than I am by a strategically placed highly trained crew using a Mark 19. Hard to grasp, but it is reality.

Go reflect on 9/11. In just one morning --in the most secure nation in the world, four mainline aircraft were decimated by a handful of terrorist, armed only with box cutters.

Ask yourself this question- which is more bulletproof- being covered or concealed...... and the answer is it depends.......

Last edited:
There actually are many “ mercenaries” going to Ukraine to fight. I don’t think there is any pay involved but the Ukrainians will welcome you.
Here are some flights from New York to Warsaw, Poland from where you can take a train to the Ukrainian border. Want to shoot Russians? Here is your opportunity. There may be organizations to help you get get there. We hear of many Canadians fighting with the Ukrainians. However, Canadian soldiers in the armed forces are barred from fighting in Ukraine.

6806CBA4-67FC-4909-9267-652C92E2B3AF.jpg
99583AFA-69E0-4A91-80A7-C94BB368438C.jpg

Last edited:
He didn't ask us how to fight a war, he asked about a car to get around presumably while he isn't waging the war, owing to the disclosure that he had an armored vehicle in the "red zone".

Local knowledge is apt to be key here.

A Mitsubishi Pajero? I'm not sure how common they are in Ukraine but they come with a 2.5 diesel l4 or 3.5 (maybe 3.0 in Europe) gas v6 and are body on frame if you get one from before 2000. They won the Dakar rally a few times so they do good at high speed on rough roads. They're kinda slow though, you run out of torque at like 95mph. After 2001 they got unibody and independent suspension which is better on the highway but harder to turn into a rock crawler and after 2003 they got a 3.8 v6 and traction control. Sometime around 2002 the diesel engine got upgraded. I would get a 2 door gen 3 (2001 and up) with the 3.2 diesel. These were sold in the states as Monteros but we didn't get diesels or 2 doors. We only got long gassers. Can be bought for 2-8 thousand dollars in the US.

I would like to tap into your collective mind. I’m back home again for yet another tour of defending my fatherland — The Ukraine 🇺🇦

I need a vehicle to travel around and near the front lines. Roads here often resemble the worst of the metro Detroit and then some. Often there is no time to slow down much for the potholes — I don’t expect to drive full speed into them, but no tip toeing around them either most of the time. Cars here experience extra heavy duty use

My budget is $10,000 and not more.

what kind of vehicle (year, make, model) comes to your mind to serve in the above environment, that would cost NOT MORE then $10,000 in USA?

Thanks!

*I shall add that my colleagues use even passenger cars in this environment, so it is not like it’s Wrangler-Rubicon-only type of an environment, but it is pretty, pretty bad
Can you post a few photographs from your last experience in Ukraine?

Let’s have him clarify this. Does he plan to fight or not.
Oh I think he plans to fight, just not in the car he’s asked by about. Exactly to what level one can be not fighting is in question though.

Also based on the 10k in USA I’m assuming he’s planning to purchase in USA, which shrinks the choices especially for diesels.

Last edited:
Back