Vehicle recommendation for the war zone use

I would like to tap into your collective mind. I’m back home again for yet another tour of defending my fatherland — The Ukraine 🇺🇦

I need a vehicle to travel around and near the front lines. Roads here often resemble the worst of the metro Detroit and then some. Often there is no time to slow down much for the potholes — I don’t expect to drive full speed into them, but no tip toeing around them either most of the time. Cars here experience extra heavy duty use

My budget is $10,000 and not more.

what kind of vehicle (year, make, model) comes to your mind to serve in the above environment, that would cost NOT MORE then $10,000 in USA?

Thanks!

*I shall add that my colleagues use even passenger cars in this environment, so it is not like it’s Wrangler-Rubicon-only type of an environment, but it is pretty, pretty bad

Your budget is a problem. Call an Uber. :ROFLMAO: Maybe you could liberate a KOZAK-2 or 2 MPAV. It's like a baby MRAP. Maybe you could rig a positive pressure ventilation system for 10 grand. You'd probably want that.

Your budget is a problem. Call an Uber. :ROFLMAO: Maybe you could liberate a KOZAK-2 or 2 MPAV. It's like a baby MRAP. Maybe you could rig a positive pressure ventilation system for 10 grand. You'd probably want that.

In the red zone I currently use Roshel Senator. $10k for about 3 months of use is a good budget

These videos provides some supplemental information about why the Corolla is by far the best vehicle for your situation:

I would like to tap into your collective mind. I’m back home again for yet another tour of defending my fatherland — The Ukraine 🇺🇦

I need a vehicle to travel around and near the front lines. Roads here often resemble the worst of the metro Detroit and then some. Often there is no time to slow down much for the potholes — I don’t expect to drive full speed into them, but no tip toeing around them either most of the time. Cars here experience extra heavy duty use

My budget is $10,000 and not more.

what kind of vehicle (year, make, model) comes to your mind to serve in the above environment, that would cost NOT MORE then $10,000 in USA?

Thanks!

*I shall add that my colleagues use even passenger cars in this environment, so it is not like it’s Wrangler-Rubicon-only type of an environment, but it is pretty, pretty bad
Diesel Dodge ram or Lexus GX460. Full time 4wd good ground clearance.

Maybe you could cop a good used Toyota Hilux from a reputable Middle Eastern vendor.
This. I was going to say Toyota Fortuner which is based on the Hilux. It would seem like the USA is obsessed with unibodies while the rest of the world wants body on frame. Not everyone is going to soccer and ice hockey practice.

Another vote for the Corolla. You're local to the area and your experience is better than any of us guessing. Look around you and see what works-- what lasts, what can be fixed, what you can get parts for.

Get the biggest tires with the most plies that fit in your fenders, and or make the fenders bigger.

It is sorta cool there?

Hard top Jeep doesn't seem like a bad choice, looks like mid to late 200X to early 20XX could be had in budget. I personally would try to buy the newest one with a 4.0L which is 2005/2006 if i'm not mistaken. Id get the least messed with one which will be the struggle.

I guess my second string would be some sort of midsize 4x4 truck or body/frame SUV with good parts supply. same year ranges Ranger/Frontier/Tacoma/4 runner/xtera etc.

Guessing reliability is key, but the budget is an issue it seems.

I doubt there are many with experience on supplying a vehicle for use in a war zone, maybe i'm wrong.

I doubt there are many with experience on supplying a vehicle for use in a war zone, maybe i'm wrong.
One of Sun Tzu's five basic factors on war is "Method and discipline, which included logistics and supply"

I am not so sure some of the recommendations take this into account.

Without a doubt, with the type of warfare going in in this conflict. a 15-year-old Corolla is a tactically better choice and provides significant advantages over a brand new up armored Suburban or equivalent.

Last edited:
Other recommendation might be an older (but still very robust) 4Runner.
Same reasons GON mentioned, except that it has more ground clearance; a bit more heavy duty.
For your budget, you'd be looking at the older ones with the 3.4L engine; very reliable.

I agree with GON. Hide in plain sight. Parts are readily available everywhere (I don't know in your country though).

Solid engineering on the car, it will serve you well.

I would recommend a base model with manual transmission. Smallest wheels you can fit with biggest tires and most plies for extra cushion from potholes (sidewalls absorb a lot and will maybe lower your sprung weight).

Best of luck and be safe!

I agree with GON. Hide in plain sight. Parts are readily available everywhere (I don't know in your country though).

Solid engineering on the car, it will serve you well.

I would recommend a base model with manual transmission. Smallest wheels you can fit with biggest tires and most plies for extra cushion from potholes (sidewalls absorb a lot and will maybe lower your sprung weight).

Best of luck and be safe!
There is a reason that the vehicle of choice by seasoned bank robbers in the U.S. over the past 20 years are most often the following vehicles in white:

Camry, Corolla, Civic, and Accord. And for these four vehicles, it is not about reliability or gas mileage.....

There is a reason that the vehicle of choice by seasoned bank robbers in the U.S. over the past 20 years are most often the following vehicles in white:

Camry, Corolla, Civic, and Accord. And for these four vehicles, it is not about reliability or gas mileage.....
It’s because they’re the top selling cars in the country, and high in the top stolen list too…

It’s because they’re the top selling cars in the country, and high in the top stolen list too…
The center of gravity on those four cars being the vehicle of choice by bank robbers is those vehicles blend in the best. They don't stick out, and as you mentioned as being top sellers, they are hard to spot or identify on an individual basis.

Well, maybe not in this use case....
Depends..... significantly easier to hit an armored Suburban than a Corolla with a RPG, and for more than one reason.

The After-Action review of the Second Nagorno-Karabakh War would without a doubt demonstrate that a Lada Riva (classic) would be a much safer choice than an armored G- Wagon. A G-wagon is much easier to spot by a drone and other methods, than a Lada Riva in Armenia or Azerbaijan.

Last edited:
Back