Vehicle Buying Power...

I was born in 1957. We had full time working farms in both sides of the family. They raised some cattle while farming was the largest part. Everyone I grew up knowing in the area who had trucks , really USED trucks for the intended purpose trucks were developed for. WORK & the outdoors life. All had a rifle in the window rack behind the seat. Today trucks come with interiors almost as luxurious and limosines. I do not think many who pay close $100,000 these days for one of those gigantic trucks (with near show car finish paint jobs) and interiors as plush and nice as little studio apartments intends to do any thing close to work with them or even much of what is called off roading. Certainly not mudding. Yet to each his own.
My neighbor has two pick up trucks. A new Silverado and an old one. The old one is relegated to dirty jobs and the new ones takes his grandkids fishing.

People love to buy the new fancy trucks and the manufacturers make a lot of profit off them.

I read this thread before going to work this morning, so as I was walking through the parking lot I paid attention to the trucks in it. 27 trucks, 26 were 4 full door crew cab, there were zero extra cab trucks and the only regular cab truck was an old square body chevy long bed.

I read this thread before going to work this morning, so as I was walking through the parking lot I paid attention to the trucks in it. 27 trucks, 26 were 4 full door crew cab, there were zero extra cab trucks and the only regular cab truck was an old square body chevy long bed.

Do you think that "back when" most people had a truck AND a family car or SUV? vs now replacing that with a single vehicle in the shape of a crew cab truck?

I think manufacturing has become more advanced and things are easier/ cheaper to make in todays dollars. Seems to me like we see more higher trim levels on the road today than we did in the late 90’s. Vehicles have become more advance too and what was once a luxury is now taken for granted. AC or crank windows being decent examples.

People definitely don’t care for base and simple today. The death of the manual gearbox is proof of that.

I think manufacturing has become more advanced and things are easier/ cheaper to make in todays dollars. Seems to me like we see more higher trim levels on the road today than we did in the late 90’s. Vehicles have become more advance too and what was once a luxury is now taken for granted. AC or crank windows being decent examples.

People definitely don’t care for base and simple today. The death of the manual gearbox is proof of that.

All these fancy things do cause problems when the cars are with their second owners and out of warranty. Whether it's $135/each HID headlights or $500/each shocks vs $20 headlights and $50 shocks...

In this case, I think a lot of it was due to fleet sales and some was due to thrifty older men born during the Great Depression era buying just what they needed. My grandfather born in 1933 bought a new Dodge Dakota in 1988 with some of his AMC retirement/buyout money. The only options I could see on it were cloth seating surfaces instead of vinyl, a pinstripe, and perhaps the chrome front bumper. It had a 2.2L carbureted 4 cylinder, vinyl on the floor, no power steering, no rear bumper, and no radio.

What has changed is there hasn't been any small econo trucks for sale new for quite a few years. The manufacturers went to big ticket high profit trucks partly because small trucks were not selling. Now things are changing and small econo trucks are getting popular again.

On another note, I still see quite a few S10's and Blazers on the road wink wink

There are some on-ramps that make that a serious challenge ;)
Eh, I dunno, how fast is a commercial truck? 30s 0-60? They do fine. I've never had trouble merging with my slowpokes, even while towing.
That S10 is a Cavalier that can spin one rear wheel.

The EPA/CAFE changed some rules about a vehicles "shadow", meaning cars and trucks have to be bigger at a given MPG, or whatever MPG targets they have to meet are more easily met with huge bodies. The tiny form factor of that S10 can't compete. We also got nice "city cars" like the corolla that grew substantially, with bumper body effects, to shade more pavement.

We also live in a world, now, where you're not allowed to have anyone under 12 in the front seat. There are typically exceptions if there's no rear seat but it's a turn off for families.

I would also expect the actual transaction price for a stripper 4 cyl S10 could be significantly lower than MSRP or the V6.

As for the public, they aren't buying new Mitsubishi Mirages in any sort of numbers.
Yes, the EPA regulations seem to be have been written for the Detroit 3 to sell bigger trucks and SUV's... with big gas engines...

Eh, I dunno, how fast is a commercial truck? 30s 0-60? They do fine. I've never had trouble merging with my slowpokes, even while towing.
They tend to just merge and you are going to have to move over, because otherwise, they are coming into you. Though I'm not sure how many large commercial trucks use the on-ramp at Washago? That's one that immediately comes to mind:
Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 4.06.26 PM.png

The clover leaf ramps in New Brunswick are also super fun, though they have a longer lead than the one in Washago by a fair bit, the speed limit is 110, and the on-ramp becomes the off-ramp, so you hope somebody moves over so you can get on:
Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 4.07.38 PM.png

...The 2.2 liter engine was extremely popular and for the 1996 model year it accounted for over 60% of the sales. So, what I'm asking is what's changed from then to now? Inflation included, are people just making more money and can afford the higher trims with the bigger engine? Did having toys become more affordable today than in the 90's? Or are companies just allowing for longer terms to allow people to buy something they really can't afford?

So many things have changed between then and now. I was 26 in 1996 and was on my 2nd newly purchased pickup truck at that time. Like you say, most pickup trucks on that lots in that era were 2wd, basic models. Not many 4x4s, extra cabs or anything fancy. At least where I live. So basic that you had to pay extra for a rear bumper. I started with a 1993 Dodge Dakota 2wd, reg cab, Magnum V6, 5MT, no a/c, etc. It was $12K brand new. "Upgraded" to a 1996 Chevy W/T, reg cab, short bed 4.3L 5MT later on. $13K for that one.

I don't think many people would tolerate the lack of a/c these days, but something comparable to a 2.2L powered S10 would sell like crazy in today's market if it was priced accordingly. Those days of manufacturing are gone. No manufacturer builds or stocks bare bones "loss leader" base models of anything.

60% 2.2L take rate? Huge fleet use - easy load height, plenty of cap options for service tools, these were super common. high school crowd loved to lower them hard, too.

I mean, everyone wanted HP back then too, but at least where I was from not everyone wanted to go upside down to pay for it. except for one car they bought my brother at some point, my folks never owned more than 4 cylinders, including the minivan. My folks exclusively purchased new, 4 cylinder manuals. We’d keep the A/C alive in mom’s car, but for the rest of us AC was mythical. my dad … he drove a VW rabbit with vinyl seats. Hers were vinyl as well, and once they tore we put cloth covers on them from western auto. I remember when the Jeep Cherokee came out… and was just in awe of them - I remember a friend who’s mom had one - navy blue with silver steel wheels - sucker was basically exotic to us.

theres something fun about having a smaller engine - you get to drive it. And with a stick, you had the opportunity to learn torque curve, timing, and clutch work and refine it all. There was something fun about getting every ounce of power out of a 4, and knowing it.

For this very reason I’ve kept my eye out for a clean 318 sedan with a 5mt. Would love to find one.

ok trying to get back on topic, we simply didn’t have +200 hp vehicles. Most 4 bangers were 110-130. Some were still in the 90s. Our van had 65, water cooled. our 89 accord had 118, dad bought a CRX si with 125. My car in high school had 85. A 4 cylinder compact pickup with decent rear gears would get us anywhere we needed to go, very practically.

What's the relevance of that? Merging isn't a drag race. You're getting into a lane of traffic moving at a steady speed. If you're on an on ramp you're already doing 30, so 30-60 mph doesn't take all that much time.
Absolutely THE MOST important performance variable: the elasticity of an engine as a result of torque. 0-60mph is whatever, a YouTube thing. 30-60 or 30-80mph is where the emphasis should be. Mazda when developing 2.5T engine to fit in CX-9 was following (literally) soccer moms after dropping kids to school. What they realized is that they really stepped on it while merging and that based on driver behavior that was the most stressful part of driving. That sealed the deal to go turbo instead of a new V6.

What's the relevance of that? Merging isn't a drag race. You're getting into a lane of traffic moving at a steady speed. If you're on an on ramp you're already doing 30, so 30-60 mph doesn't take all that much time.
In my case no highways around are posted at 60...the interstate is 75. People need to be willing to unleash their ponies to merge properly and safely.

In my case no highways around are posted at 60...the interstate is 75. People need to be willing to unleash their ponies to merge properly and safely.
Usually you can just carry speed through the corner, so even with 127hp lugging around 5500lbs of vehicle and trailer, I found I was up to a speed where I could merge into a gap without anyone having to brake hard, or anyone getting annoyed? It takes some planning, or extrapolation where you are going to fit in, but I can't recall any real merging issues? Also I've never ran into two a-holes following each other, so if one guy makes it into a drag race, it's always easy to go in behind him.
I have driven with people that do need 400+hp to merge semi-safely, as they seem to have little spatial awareness, can't use their mirrors, and are afraid to carry some speed around a corner. They can see a gap ahead of them though, so they have to gun it and go for that. If that's their only merging strategy, then I guess they better get the big engine...

Usually you can just carry speed through the corner, so even with 127hp lugging around 5500lbs of vehicle and trailer, I found I was up to a speed where I could merge into a gap without anyone having to brake hard, or anyone getting annoyed? It takes some planning, or extrapolation where you are going to fit in, but I can't recall any real merging issues? Also I've never ran into two a-holes following each other, so if one guy makes it into a drag race, it's always easy to go in behind him.
I have driven with people that do need 400+hp to merge semi-safely, as they seem to have little spatial awareness, can't use their mirrors, and are afraid to carry some speed around a corner. They can see a gap ahead of them though, so they have to gun it and go for that. If that's their only merging strategy, then I guess they better get the big engine...
Around here the Toyota/Honda/Subaru drivers are petrified to take the curve at anything more than 30mph, and then STILL don’t step on it when they are onto the actual highway. Traffic behind them be ****ed!

And yes I’m singling those 3 out. It’s almost ALWAYS one of those 3.

Prices for Cars, Ten year span ...... 2013-($25,000) 2023-(30,150)

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, prices for new cars are 20.60% higher in 2023 versus 2013 (a $5,150.00 difference in value).

Back