Reliable/Low Maintenance or Super Fun Vehicle To Purchase

I sigh bitterly whenever I am reminded of how fun motorcycles are. I had a Honda CBR250r that I rode every opportunity I could. It was the most easily accessible thrill and fun compared to any other Motorsport or regular sport for that matter. I stopped riding motorcycles after having a daughter due to safety concerns. I still miss them though. Closest sensation to flying I’ve ever felt.
I had an older Kawasaki Ninja 250 with upgraded suspension bits and that thing handled awesome. The liter bike crowd would always leave me in the dust on straightaways but I always managed to catch them in the corners. Such a fun little bike.

I vote for a good used CVPI or PPV Tahoe. Everyone tends to move out of your way. Great for long trips with your puppy. Even though they both have a V8 [which you do not really want] they are not bad on fuel plus both use 87 octane.

I really like to purchase a vehicle to have as a joyriding, weekend, family vehicle, and possibly other non-ordinary activities. Whenever I look for new vehicles, I always tend to head toward Honda because they are generally very easy to maintain and very reliable with basic maintenance. I have an 2002 Accord and 2012 Fit so I am technically two years past my vehicle purchase interval thanks to Honda’s reliability. But Honda doesn’t have any fun vehicle beside the Type R and I am not a stick driver; I can do if I need to in an emergency but I only learnt enough to say I can but never been a fan. I am listing down a few fun vehicle I always wanted to own but reluctant to. I have a very reliable now in a Fit and the Accord will be back in full duty once I put replace timing belt and water pump so I can confidently take it across country if need to (it is driven daily but mostly local and to the office 40 miles away); thereforex, super reliability is a nice to have rather a must have.

New Options because I can justify the cost as long as it is MSRP or below:
1) Dodge Challenger: Either SXT ( great fuel economy so I can drive it to Florida, Texas, or hit the beach 200 miles away regularly) or Scat Pack (Wonderful engine note, nice body kit from factory, and still respectable highway fuel economy)

2) Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - whichever version with 3.6 liter V6 and automatic. I always like a Jeep to take to Outer Bank. And it has enough space for everyday family use. I can also do limited towing when I get a big ATV, SxS, or little camper)

3) Jeep Gladiator - Probably the bad model Sport S. Everything I want in a Wrangler but with a bed and automatic in much lower cost trim. This satisfies the truck need/want to.

4) Dodge Ram 1500 - Either a Big Horn or Tradesman. I actually prefer the Tradesman because of the front bench seat; it is a southern thing.

5) Dodge Charger SXT - A big burly American muscle that can serve as a comfortable family sedan. I definitely don’t need a V8 here as I can see this puppy going to Florida and back to West Virginia a lot.

Used options as they are expensive for what they are new. Probably want these to be under 50k miles
6) Bimmer 330i - I always like a Bimmer even though I know they can be nightmare for those not very mechanical inclined, with tons of tools and garage space, and access to affordable indi-shop.

7) Porsche 911 - It is a Porsche

Used and probably under 100k miles as these aren’t that bad to maintain.
8) Corvette - Base model with automatic
9) Lexus IS 250/300/350
10) LEXUS LS 460. The LS 430 has timing belt and I try to avoid vehicle with timing belt unless I know the seller and know it has been done on time and within 30k miles.

I know option 8-10 are easy as Lexus are relatively reliable and I can at least change the oil. The ATF on newer Toyota vehicles are a pain but I can manage with minimal fuss. And the Corvette aren’t nightmare to own if properly inspected to not have been owned by an abusive maniac.

Anything I should be worrying about and plan for in each of these choices.

The boring but reliable choice is a new Civic, Accord, Prius, or Tundra. I am neither rich or broke; just frugal and wasn’t the best with finance because I helped people so Incan afford each car listed but I do have other responsibilities outside of car note, which I hadn’t had since 2013. And the house is paid off next year so this will be a midlife purchase.
Out of your options, I vote Corvette.

It seems like this vehicle would be for fun, with the ability to drive long distances with good fuel mileage, good storage and comfort, and the Corvette fits all these aspects, except for the "family" thing.

A nice C5 or C6 would be way in budget, and not a boring normal car.

#2 vote would be for Challenger, for similar reasons above, plus "quad" seating.

Good luck.

Op here. Had been visiting Carmax a lot lately to get a feel. Love all the options I list. So hard to narrow down but the Corvette may get bumped off due to the lack of 4 seats.

Back