New BMW X3 M40, INSANE power delivery (2024)

We own a couple Bimmers and a couple Beemers.

The Bimmers have the S85 in the M6, and the S63B44T4 in the X6 M Competition.

The internet tells me they are both ticking timebombs. No issues with either yet.
To quantify that though, how many miles are on them at present?

Are you a BMW owner? Any V8s with rod bearing issues, injector issues? How about that pesky Vanos system? Oil leaks? Better yet coolant tank leaks? None of my Mercs ever had any of these problems
Only 12 since 1983- 2 currently. I’ve had a couple needing a valve cover or oil filter housing gasket. No rod bearing, VANOS, or “coolant tank” issues. My E36 was my HPDE instructor car from 1996 to 2012 and the cooling system has only needed a hose fitting and thermostat replacement.
How many BMWs have you owned?

Only 12 since 1983- 2 currently. I’ve had a couple needing a valve cover or oil filter housing gasket. No rod bearing, VANOS, or “coolant tank” issues. My E36 was my HPDE instructor car from 1996 to 2012 and the cooling system has only needed a hose fitting and thermostat replacement.
My first exposure to BMW was the E46 manual. A friend's dad had one. It was a terrible POS, but the suspension was great!

To quantify that though, how many miles are on them at present?

About 90 k on the M6. It sees redline nearly every time it's driven (after reaching operating temp) just to hear the V10 howl. It's a 6-speed manual.

About 40k on the X6 M. It gets driven much more often, and has been racking up miles much more quickly. The read-testers on the internet say it should have had major issues many miles ago. Most have likely never even seen one in person, yet they think they know all about it.

I'm sure the BMW is powerful and fast. Try going for a rip in Tesla's "ludicrous mode"... my face is still stretched out.

1 F10 M5, that was enough. Tune only. Would run 10.85 all day, but broke to much. Only was pushing about 670hp. Lost an injector which stuck open, and bent a rod at 48k. But to many oil leaks, rear main, valve cover, had both turbos replaced under warranty, lost 3 other injectors. The transmission was bullet proof though

Hmmm ... it seems that people who actually own these cars are quite happy other then the arm chair warriors who do not. :unsure:

Other types of vehicles are brought up as well. One has to remember this is a luxury SUV that does sports car performance, I dont think we need to split between 12 seconds give or take three quarters of a second.

With regard to the 2024 M40 we know the 48volt electric motor smoothes things out and official literature was posted by someone on a previous page. Irrespective of the arm chair comments that followed.
Anyone interested in a luxury SUV and not a compact sports car or compact SUV, most all buyers of the x3 M40 are very happy.

Last edited:
About 90 k on the M6. It sees redline nearly every time it's driven (after reaching operating temp) just to hear the V10 howl. It's a 6-speed manual.

About 40k on the X6 M. It gets driven much more often, and has been racking up miles much more quickly. The read-testers on the internet say it should have had major issues many miles ago. Most have likely never even seen one in person, yet they think they know all about it.
X6M are pretty common, not sure why people would not see them?

Hmmm ... it seems that people who actually own these cars are quite happy other then the arm chair warriors who do not. :unsure:

Other types of vehicles are brought up as well. One has to remember this is a luxury SUV that does sports car performance, I dont think we need to split between 12 seconds give or take three quarters of a second.

With regard to the 2024 M40 we know the 48volt electric motor smoothes things out and official literature was posted by someone on a previous page. Irrespective of the arm chair comments that followed.
Anyone interested in a luxury SUV and not a compact sports car or compact SUV, most all buyers of the x3 M40 are very happy.

2022 X3 M40i
C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 4.1 sec
100 mph: 11.1 sec
1/4-Mile: 12.8 sec @ 107 mph
130 mph: 21.2 sec

2023 X3 M Comp
C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 3.2 sec
100 mph: 8.0 sec
1/4-Mile: 11.5 sec @ 119 mph
130 mph: 14.3 sec
150 mph: 21.8 sec

Coming from a car that ran numbers near identical to the X3 M40i and going to a car that runs numbers near identical to the X3 M Comp, I can tell you it's a huge difference in how they hit off the line or from a roll.

Now you mention "Compact SUV", and what's funny, is that the X3 is classified as a compact SUV today, but back in say, 1990, it would have been larger than an Explorer!

Model S Plaid is otherworldly.

From a stop, and with it's awd, it gets off the line with authority. It would have the advantage against my sportscar from a standing start due to traction, but would quickly lose out if handling or anything more than a 1/4 mile in a straight line were involved. A plaid on the Nurburgring was 30 seconds per lap slower, than a stock version of my car. Let alone one which is 400 rwhp and rwtorque up from stock.

There are much faster modified street-legal cars than mine.

Speed is relative.

2022 X3 M40i
C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 4.1 sec
100 mph: 11.1 sec
1/4-Mile: 12.8 sec @ 107 mph
130 mph: 21.2 sec

2023 X3 M Comp
C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 3.2 sec
100 mph: 8.0 sec
1/4-Mile: 11.5 sec @ 119 mph
130 mph: 14.3 sec
150 mph: 21.8 sec

Coming from a car that ran numbers near identical to the X3 M40i and going to a car that runs numbers near identical to the X3 M Comp, I can tell you it's a huge difference in how they hit off the line or from a roll.

Now you mention "Compact SUV", and what's funny, is that the X3 is classified as a compact SUV today, but back in say, 1990, it would have been larger than an Explorer!
?
What car did you come from?
One of the two above?
My son‘s mid-level 2024 M40 seems to be about $16,000 (actually 20K) less than M Comp base model
Not sure of the comparison you’re providing and why, the M40 is the middle of the line, 20% faster then the plain X3
He owns a mid $60,000 car not a mid $80,000 car
Good catch on my compact comment, technically correct. It’s a compact SUV. I always looked at the X1 as a compact, I guess that's a sub compact? Either way, yeah, it's a substantial X3 that in my mind doesnt match the word compact. Other than riding in my son's revolving line of BMWs that is the only time I get up to date on them. Looks like every 15 to 20 k gives you significant upgrade in power here is the X3 M40 compared to the (lack of better words) entry X3 drive30 plus your supplied chart to the M Comp in your post..

x3 M40 ---------------------------------------- x3 drive 30
Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 2.32.21 PM.png

Last edited:

I had an E24 M6; with a Dinan chip and no catalyst it made close to 320 hp. It was quick for its time. I wish that I had kept it.
As far as modern BMWs go, the only car I would love to own is a M2 CS. The M and M Performance SUVs are very nice, but I still prefer a sedan or coupe. With respect to other new BMWs, I’m less than enamored with their current styling and their instrumentation (or lack thereof) is a joke. My 4xe has more display configuration options- not to mention the ability to monitor engine and transmission parameters in real time.

I had an E24 M6; with a Dinan chip and no catalyst it made close to 320 hp. It was quick for its time. I wish that I had kept it.
As far as modern BMWs go, the only car I would love to own is a M2 CS. The M and M Performance SUVs are very nice, but I still prefer a sedan or coupe. With respect to other new BMWs, I’m less than enamored with their current styling and their instrumentation (or lack thereof) is a joke. My 4xe has more display configuration options- not to mention the ability to monitor engine and transmission parameters in real time.

We went and looked at the '24 X6 M. We didn't care for the dash of the '24. In our opinion our '22 has a much better design. One of the main points of ownership of the SAC (in BMW speak) for us, is that it qualifies for a tax write-off.

It feels like driving a bank vault that handles and goes and stops amazingly well for a 5300+ lb brick. It doesn't hurt that the wife likes it.

I only have 2 problems with BMW. One, the Neue Klasse is under development. Two, I don't have one, preferably the 4 motor, 1300+ HP version. The car will be expensive as will the 250 MPH ticket...
My garage is ready with the Tesla Wall Charger.

Back