Valvoline vs Mobil 1 - Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
XOM has the facilities, talent, and resources to know exactly how their product performs at all times.

Quote:
It employs an array of analytical techniques including liquid chromatography (LC), gel permeation chromatography (GPC), gas chromatography (GC), GC/mass spectroscopy (GC/MS), LC/MS, fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), FTIR/microscopy, GC/FTIR/MS, X-ray diffraction, DC-arc emission spectroscopy (solids), fluorescence spectroscopy, optical microscopy and scanning electron microscopy/energy dispersive spectrometry (SEM/EDS). In addition, the lab has the capability to run many standard ASTM bench tests designed to measure properties and performance of petroleum products, but the advanced analytical capabilities are what really set Paulsboro MTS apart.

None of those stated analtical techniques are anything special. Sure, they sound complex to the non-technical person, but every university, corporate research center and many production facilities worth their salt have some if not all of those techniques available. Then there are contract labs that will do the work too...

my wife knows how to run all of the above machinery, and doesn't know a thing about oil. she started out as a microbiologist, then became a metallurgical tech for a steel company, and now is finishing up her MSChemEng and starting on her PhD.

she still doesn't know anything about oil...

I just noticed, according to Valvoline's own web site, their Synpower, MaxLife synthetic, and MaxLife synthetic blend cannot be used in any current production GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, or Toyota. To do so would void the warranty because it does not meet the specifications for any of these manufacturers.

Interesting, wouldn't you say?

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
I just noticed, according to Valvoline's own web site, their Synpower, MaxLife synthetic, and MaxLife synthetic blend cannot be used in any current production GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, or Toyota. To do so would void the warranty because it does not meet the specifications for any of these manufacturers.

I read that info too. All this Valvloine vs Mobil did was swing me further away from Valvoline than I already was, and stopped me from using Mobil 1. Had this info aired sooner on BITOG I would have never used Mobil 1 in my Jeep. Oh well...........

Frank D

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: FrankN4

I read that info too. All this Valvloine vs Mobil did was swing me further away from Valvoline than I already was, and stopped me from using Mobil 1. Had this info aired sooner on BITOG I would have never used Mobil 1 in my Jeep. Oh well...........

Frank D

Where on the website does it say this?
I looked under Maxlife Product specs and it says it wouldn't void new car warranty? ?

Last time I looked I was looking for specific specs, of a 0w20 oil, namely Chrysler MS-6395 and there was no mention of it. I did read it met all new car warranty requirements, many companies say that. Mobil 1 0w20 meets Chrysler MS-6395, they say it on the site. The Valvoline equivalent in 0w20 doesn't. If they changed the site then I stand corrected.

If it doesn't spell out exactly what spec you are looking for in my eyes it leaves a gray area, and a way out for them if there is a problem. This holds true for any company. Why give them an out if there is a problem? The auto maker could also have a way out and now I'd be left holding the bag. Not worth it to me.

Frank D

Last edited:
I have a new 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. The manual says the oil MUST SPECIFY THAT IT MEETS GM specification 6094m. My youngest daughter has a new 2008 Jeep Patriot. It also says oil must meet some specification. My oldest daughter now has a new Ford van and it calls for an oil that meets some Ford specification. All of these says the oil must state that it meets these specifications. Valvoline makes no statement that it meets specifications for their Synpower, Max full syn and Max syn blend. To use it would be against the warranty requirements of these vehicles.

Just food for thought and maybe something Valvoline should think about.

Yes it is food for thought! I would email them and ask specifically. If they say it meets the spec you have a legal leg to stand on if there is a problem, just save the email. As I mentioned a few times this past week I lost respect for Mobil as a result of Valvoline's current marketing. Mobil does however spell out the requirements they meet pretty clear, so does Pennzoil.

Frank D

Though the GM approval list is from their website, I seem to remember seeing a more recent version of the list (before they made techlink inaccessable to the public). I'm almost certain that QS Horsepower was on the later 4718M list.

It's not really surprising that none of the Maxlife oils are on the list. Mobil and GM are the only ones with high mileage oils that make the GM 6094M list.

Valvoline claims it's conventional and blend meet GM6094M requirements, but it is curious that they don't make that claim for Synpower. Since it met at one time (according to GM's own list), one wonders why Valvoline's current data does not claim compliance.

The GM6094M is pretty much the same.

The GM4718M is:

Castrol SLX 5W30
Chevron Surpreme synthetic 5W30, 10W30
Citgo Superguard synthetic 5W30, 10W30
Mobil 1 synthetic 0W30, 5W30, 10W30
Northland Synergy synthetic 5W30, 10W30
Pennzoil Platnum synthetic 5W30, 10W30
Texaco Havaline synthetic 5W30, 10W30
Q HorsePower synthetic 5W30, 10W30

have a good one,

Don

Last edited:
Isn't the whole point of the ILSAC specification system to AVOID individual manufacturer specific specifications? I'm not at all impressed by each company coming up with its own special licensing/branding program.

Industry standards, and close monitoring to make sure suppliers are actually consistently meeting them, is the way to go.

Company by company standards stink.

I think you nailed it sir!!! I'm not impressed with an oil blender that is obsessed with being on every "approved" list. If an oil meets or exceeds API/ILSAC standards that should be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back