Valvoline advanced vs Mobil 1 ESP

PAO with a pourpoint of -39°C? Or a 'PAO formula' at ~10 % PAO?
A 0W-30 with a true 'PAO formula' typically results in a pourpoint at -60°C.
Yeah, Valvoline is funny that way but they're not the only ones that do this. If you look at the Noack value in the spec sheet on some of their oils they'll just put <15 even though, because of the approvals, like MB, you know it's actually a maximum of 10. They do the same with pour points, they're just telling you it meets 0w.

Also, if you look at the SDS, they're showing 30 to <40 % group 3 and don't list PAO but if you scroll down to the US State Regulations under Pennsylvania you'll see PAO listed. So what do you think the rest of the % is? It certainly can't be group 1 or 2 for sure for a variety of reasons.

Yeah, Valvoline is funny that way but they're not the only ones that do this. If you look at the Noack value in the spec sheet on some of their oils they'll just put <15 even though, because of the approvals, like MB, you know it's actually a maximum of 10. They do the same with pour points, they're just telling you it meets 0w.

Also, if you look at the SDS, they're showing 30 to <40 % group 3 and don't list PAO but if you scroll down to the US State Regulations under Pennsylvania you'll see PAO listed. So what do you think the rest of the % is? It certainly can't be group 1 or 2 for sure for a variety of reasons.
SDS sheets are safety sheets. They will list only what is harmful to first responders.
Take it with reservations.

SDS sheets are safety sheets. They will list only what is harmful to first responders.
Take it with reservations.
Precisely.....and in Pennsylvania they're more strict on what's actually harmful or at least they want more info given on to better handle a situation, which is why they had to disclose it's got PAO, it's a PAO based oil.(..and so is their Euro 0w-40).

I know full well what an SDS is and what to and not to conclude from it.

Last edited:
Precisely.....and in Pennsylvania they're more strict on what's actually harmful or at least they want more info given on to better handle a situation, which is why they had to disclose it's got PAO, it's a PAO based oil.(..and so is their Euro 0w-40).

I know full well what an SDS is and what to and not to conclude from it.
I would say 10% PAO at best.

I would say 10% PAO at best.
Opinion noted.

I would say more like 30-40% realistically.

You must be thinking of the Castrol Edge 0w-30 LL sold here on American shelves which is much more easily available. They have the ability to get away with more than Valvoline can. Bigger isn't always better.

Either that or your saying this Valvoline contains some esters, which i don't believe.

Opinion noted.

I would say more like 30-40% realistically.

You must be thinking of the Castrol Edge 0w-30 LL sold here on American shelves which is much more easily available. They have the ability to get away with more than Valvoline can. Bigger isn't always better.

Either that or your saying this Valvoline contains some esters, which i don't believe.
I would not say 30-40%. Castrol sells 0W30 on Amazon, and that is close to 50%.
When I said 10%, I was being generous.

I would not say 30-40%. Castrol sells 0W30 on Amazon, and that is close to 50%.
When I said 10%, I was being generous.
Generous? ..or perhaps disingenuous.

Oh, Amazon. See, that right there is exactly what i'm saying, they can get away with this. Meanwhile, the version on American shelves is closer to the 10% that you rate Valvoline. Valvoline simply can't get away with this easily and only have 1 version(American) and you can buy it here in the USA and will be more PAO-based. It even has a lower kinematic viscosity at 104F/40C than this specific Castrol sold on American shelves.

Generous? ..or perhaps disingenuous.

Oh, Amazon. See, that right there is exactly what i'm saying, they can get away with this. Meanwhile, the version on American shelves is closer to the 10% that you rate Valvoline. Valvoline simply can't get away with this easily and only have 1 version(American) and you can buy it here in the USA and will be more PAO-based. It even has a lower kinematic viscosity at 104F/40C than this specific Castrol sold on American shelves.
What are you talking about? There are different Castrol products. What each product they will offer and where is their decision. I am just saying that Castrol Edge 0W30 and 0W40 are close to 50%.
Valvoline is not. I used Valvoline Euro products, they are good, but not in this class where Castrol offers 0W30/40.
They are in rang on Castrol Edge 5W30 A3 and 5W40, which are Group III products.
I really don’t care whether Valvoline has 10 or 80%. But, it seems that you might be insecure about your purchase.

It's right there in the Castrol website, Format US, dated 12/19/23, the latest one and is accounting for 100% of the base oils. Like i said, the % you estimate for this Valvoline should actually be applied to this Castrol, not for this Valvoline. Meanwhile, the latest document for this Valvoline is 35 - less than 50% that is not PAO, but we know, KNOW that it's PAO based.

Anyone here can see this.

Good luck getting from Amazon what you think your getting. I know what people will get if they get the Valvoline. Insecure should be if you order from Amazon.

Back