Valvoline advanced vs Mobil 1 ESP

Which oil is "better" for a tgdi? Ford Fiesta ST 1.6l.
I've been using the Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 but it's getting harder to find locally. This last oil change, I went with Valvoline Advanced 5w30.

Which one would you guys prefer?

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 or 0w30. They are Porsche C30 approved and I think MB 229.5 approved and like Sloinker said VW 504/507 approved.

Higher resistance against oxidation due to heat, less possibility of deposits and better wear protection standards vs API SP.

I’m shocked but Autozone has them for $37.99 a 5 qt container which isn’t all that bad a price. For oils that meet the toughest manufacturer standards.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I did like the ESP, it's just getting harder to find locally, that's all. If it's that much better, than I'll just start ordering it. Is it safe to assume that it has less deposits than the Valvoline for the tdgi, and that the
VW 504/507 cert is better than the Dexos cert (not that the car called for either one, but...)?

Thanks again everyone!!

Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic 0w-30.

Actual approvals & licenses - VW 504/507, Porsche C30, ACEA C3.

..also recommended applications - API SN, MB 229.51, 229.5, 229.31, 229.3, 226.5, BMW LL-04, LL-01, LL-01FE, LL-12FE, VW 502/505, STJLR 3.5007.

HTHS = 3.5.

It is without doubt a PAO formula, good stuff.

With that engine you need to be worried about lspi. You need to use a sn+ or sp oil.

And DO NOT under any circumstances go more than 4-5k on an oci

I have a hybrid turbo Fiesta ST that’s approaching 179k miles now on the original engine and gearbox

Of those two oils I’d choose the Valvoline. But I’d really look at PUP or Castrol gold bottle if you’re going for off the shelf oils.

The absolute best oil for that engine (strictly my opinion) is the no VII Hpl but it’s spendy.

And definitely use 5w30. I know the cap says 5w20, but don’t listen to it lol

I've been using the Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 but it's getting harder to find locally. This last oil change, I went with Valvoline Advanced
I've been using the Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 but it's getting harder to find locally. This last oil change, I went with Valvoline Advanced 5w30.

Which one would you guys prefer?
Valvoline

With that engine you need to be worried about lspi. You need to use a sn+ or sp oil.

I have a hybrid turbo Fiesta ST that’s approaching 179k miles now on the original engine and gearbox

Of those two oils I’d choose the Valvoline. But I’d really look at PUP or Castrol gold bottle if you’re going for off the shelf oils.

The absolute best oil for that engine (strictly my opinion) is the no VII Hpl but it’s spendy.

I've always changed the oil at 3k miles, and I've always used 5w30. It has less than 30k miles on it now.
I thought the PUP was a mid saps oil and not really that good for a tgdi?

I've always changed the oil at 3k miles, and I've always used 5w30. It has less than 30k miles on it now.
I thought the PUP was a mid saps oil and not really that good for a tgdi?
Many folks swear by PUP due to the low NOAK. Even then I wouldn’t worry about SAPS levels unless you are burning oil

Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic 0w-30.
It is without doubt a PAO formula, good stuff.

PAO with a pourpoint of -39°C? Or a 'PAO formula' at ~10 % PAO?
A 0W-30 with a true 'PAO formula' typically results in a pourpoint at -60°C.

Many folks swear by PUP due to the low NOAK. Even then I wouldn’t worry about SAPS levels unless you are burning oil
No. I'm not burning any oil, at least not a measurable amount.
PUP or Castrol Edge EP.....which would you choose?

Thanks to everyone that replied. I did like the ESP, it's just getting harder to find locally, that's all. If it's that much better, than I'll just start ordering it. Is it safe to assume that it has less deposits than the Valvoline for the tdgi, and that the
VW 504/507 cert is better than the Dexos cert (not that the car called for either one, but...)?

Thanks again everyone!!
Those are not comparable oils. ESP is far more sophisticated oil.
Valvoline 5W30 XLIII would be comparable oil, but ESP is better product.
If you want something really good and readily available. Auto Zone and AAP also carry Mobil1 ESP 0W30.
Basically any oil that has MB229.51/52 approval is good to go. Mobil1 ESP 5W30 is probably best of the best among approved oils.

Is this the one you were talking about?

Imho, oil doesn't have to carry SN+ or SP if it carries MB 229.52.
I stopped buying PUP after discovering and trying Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX, which I can buy easier and cheaper than PUP.
I'm still to try ESP 5w-30, got a jug to try, it's more expensive than LX.

Is this the one you were talking about?
Yes. If you order it use the forum code bitog15 for a discount

Back