WSS-M3C96x-A1 Requirements

I have always used Dexos in the Jeep - but would use ESP any day … have an ESP jug on deck for the Lexus …
I spent some time after buying the specifications document reviewing it line by line and did not see any special tests, requirements, or parameters that an API SP + ILSAC GF-6A oil could not meet.

ESP is not ILSAC GF-6A, but this is less about that versus other oils. If Motorcraft Synthetic Blend can meet the spec, it is just not that hard to meet. To your point, I would opine that any D1G3 oil exceeds it.

I still don’t understand how a blend can meet 961-A1 and Ultra and Platinum don’t. I guess we’ll never know what box isn’t getting checked.

I still don’t understand how a blend can meet 961-A1 and Ultra and Platinum don’t. I guess we’ll never know what box isn’t getting checked.
I really think it has nothing to with the oil itself, but going through the motions of submitting the forms contained in the specification (it is 13 pages long) and paying whatever "fees" are required, then going through the red tape of the approval process. Some companies may not see the juice is worth the squeeze.

The online specifications for Ultra and Platinum show them meeting WSS-M2C946-A, which was the predecessor for WSS-M2C961-A1. My guess is that the online specs are probably out of date. If this is a source of worry, simply look at the back of the bottle before purchasing to see if the specification number has been updated.

Certainly both scenarios are possible. Personally I have a hard time believing Shell can't get the updates or approvals done when their lower tier products have it. I dunno. :unsure:

Platinum does meet the newer Ford spec and has for some time, it is even reflected on their containers. Ultra Platinum however does not according to their TDS. I even emailed SOPUS a year ago or so asking them why their Ultra and normal black label full synthetic does not list 961-A and has the older obsolete spec. Their reply is attached below. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

Platinum does meet the newer Ford spec and has for some time, it is even reflected on their containers. Ultra Platinum however does not according to their TDS. I even emailed SOPUS a year ago or so asking them why their Ultra and normal black label full synthetic does not list 961-A and has the older obsolete spec. Their reply is attached below. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 204209

View attachment 204210

View attachment 204211
So simply a matter of a lagging update to the labels and TDS since they said "Both of these have been updated to the New Ford specification WSS M2C -961-B1"?

View attachment 204209

View attachment 204210

View attachment 204211
Note that according to the TDS PUP it does not have a Dexos certification either.

Is 961-b1 a newer spec than 961-a1, or a different spec. I don't think I have seen that one before.

View attachment 204209

View attachment 204210

View attachment 204211
Thanks I looked but didn’t see it on the web.

I would actually have some interest in Ultra but it’s about as common as Sasquatch, at least in the stores I visit anyway. I’d be leery of ordering it just to find out the spec wasn’t on the bottle when it arrived.

I would actually have some interest in Ultra but it’s about as common as Sasquatch, at least in the stores I visit anyway. I’d be leery of ordering it just to find out the spec wasn’t on the bottle when it arrived.
I’ve ran both in my 5.0. Couldn’t tell a difference other than the PUP burning off at a much higher rate. I’m in the camp of why pay for PUP when PP offers the same warranty and has the current Ford spec and D1G3. Can also walk into Walmart and any auto parts store and find PP.

So I just made a Walmart run. No Platinum 5w30 in stock but they had the Full Synthetic 5w30. The jug was dated 1/31/2024 so it was brand new stock. It only carrried the older Ford specs.

Quaker State of course had it. 🤷‍♂️

Back