Valvoline synthetic or Mobil 1 in my subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a 17 Subaru Impreza still has factory fill I'm required to change it at least every 6000mi synthetic is required and it has to be 0w 20 which I will follow to stay in warranty. So which do you recommend Valvoline or Mobil 1 I have used both but in 5w 30 I am new to the 0w game, Thanks in advanced and if you have a question feel free to ask.

Wait, I just read that you said your dealer does free oil changes for life - why are you even asking this?

Ask them which oil they use (make sure its 0w20 if that's your manual's spec) and save your money and time!!!

/thread

Originally Posted By: kevco
Will do, so far so good and the dealership has given me free oil changes for life but for a oil freak like me it makes me worry since subaru says it requires synthetic 0w 20

DIY oil changes are fun, but you're just wasting money if you don't take advantage of their free changes. Save your cash to buy some Weathertech floor mats. Since the dealership will be responsible for both oil changes and warranty work, forget about it and enjoy the car.

I will do some research but I know they charge 60 dollars for oil changes if you didn't buy the car new there so I am thinking they use a cheap bulk oil to keep cost down. So if I decide to do them myself I trying to get a idea of what everyone likes, I was also thinking about buying a oil and taking there which they don't have a problem with and letting them supply filter and labor.

Last edited:
For some reason it's hard for me to trust others with my stuff, and they gave me the subaru all weather mats so I can't even buy the weathertechs, lol

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Is it a Turbocharged engine? If so, I'd stay far far away from a 0W20....

There's only one engine available in the Impreza; the non-turbo 2.0 H4. 0w-20 is fine.

I will do some research but I know they charge 60 dollars for oil changes if you didn't buy the car new there so I am thinking they use a cheap bulk oil to keep cost down. So if I decide to do them myself I trying to get a idea of what everyone likes, I was also thinking about buying a oil and taking there which they don't have a problem with and letting them supply filter and labor.

They'd be in trouble with Subaru for using an off-spec oil. Just make sure your receipts show 0w-20 and move on with your life.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

There's only one engine available in the Impreza; the non-turbo 2.0 H4. 0w-20 is fine.

Is this a badging anomaly? The rest of the world has imprezas with turbos in varying trim levels.

That aside, I'd use valvoline maxlife over any m1 due to past issues with noise at idle. And use an xw40, only using 0w20 if it goes in to Subaru for an engine/warranty issue. Viscosity is determined by climate but the manual is written by cafe.

In the US, the Impreza gets the base engine. They call the turbo cars WRX and WRX STi.

Xw-40 in the FB20 is unnecessary and would only serve to cause warranty issues. Subaru does want receipts if you need engine warranty work.

Use the dealership oil changes. Make sure your receipt says 0w-20.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
In the US, the Impreza gets the base engine. They call the turbo cars WRX and WRX STi.

Xw-40 in the FB20 is unnecessary and would only serve to cause warranty issues. Subaru does want receipts if you need engine warranty work.

Use the dealership oil changes. Make sure your receipt says 0w-20.

Ok, I assumed it was a turbo. So you don't have an Impreza Turbo, an Impreza WRX or anything, they're just known by their trim level? Is it the same with other models, and if so how do you differentiate a (legacy) STI from an (Impreza) STI if neither of them have a model name?
I wonder the same about the Volkswagen GTI too, and why it isn't a Golf in NA?

Have a look at the Subaru of America website. The models are shown there. We don't get a turbo Legacy.

OP
Call the dealership and ask what kind of oil they use.
There is nothing wrong with "bulk oil". Guess where the M1 and Valvoline synthetic comes from? A "bulk" processing facility that puts it into smaller bottles and charges more for the convenience.

Save your $ from oil changes and put it into a Roth IRA win win

If Subaru says use 0-20, what do you know that Subaru doesn't?

For some reason it's hard for me to trust others with my stuff, and they gave me the subaru all weather mats so I can't even buy the weathertechs, lol

Double them up...my subaru all weather mats are on top of my weathertechs!

The weathertechs provide quite a bit more coverage than the factory all weather mats do.

Originally Posted By: tig1

If Subaru says use 0-20, what do you know that Subaru doesn't?

Subaru recommends 5W30 for turbos now.
The WRXs are no longer considered models of the Impreza, so a 2017 Impreza will be a 2.0l NA engine.

EDIT - sorry, didn't catch that this had already been covered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back