2023 VB WRX - Subaru has conflicting oil recommendations!

There are currently two 0W-30 oil being offered by Mobil for the NA market ( https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants.../our-products/motor-oils/synthetic-motor-oils ). One is Mobil 1 AFE (Advanced Fuel Economy) and Mobil 1 ESP (Emission System Protection) with the ESP being the better of the two. Both oil meets the SP requirement and with our engine being a turbocharged direct injection engine, the ESP oil is more suited for it. Of course, you can use oil from other brands that meets your criteria, I recommend Mobil 1 because it is my preferred brand and I am most familiar with. As for why 0W-30 instead of 0W-20 or 5W-30, my reasoning is simple, 0W-30 covers the entire range of both grades, sort of speak.
Thanks for this, I will do some further research. What separates ESP from AFE?

I wouldn't be so hung up on API SP.
Okay, I'll bite! Why?

Okay, I'll bite! Why?
Because API SP is by far the easiest spec to meet, and does not “raise the bar” in any area of protection or performance when comparing to some of the other current oil specifications, other than comparing its results to that of API SN/+.

5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is in as of today. Runs quieter. Less ticky at idle. Seems smoother to redline but that could be in my head. Will send the drained 0W-20 Pennzoil Platinum with 5500kms on it out for analysis.

5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is in as of today. Runs quieter. Less ticky at idle. Seems smoother to redline but that could be in my head. Will send the drained 0W-20 Pennzoil Platinum with 5500kms on it out for analysis.
PUP is a good oil and will serve you well. 5w30 should be good unless you’re modding your Rex; if so, it would probably be a good idea to step up to a 40 grade as well if you’re really leaning on it. Oil temperature control will be important if you’re planning on tracking your car, and the cheapest way to mitigate the heat issues is to step up a grade.

What's the thickest SP 5W-30 guys?
You and this guy need to get together:

Looks like you could use either and both meets the required specs for the wrx and sti models. 0w20 factory fill probably to satisfy cafe if the vehicle was randomly selected for a test pig or it’s just assembled and filled like any other Subaru down the line.
What? Test pig? Do you know how fuel economy testing is performed?

You are sort of new to this forum, but you will soon find out that there are some senior members here that can get a lot bend out of shape when it comes to the topic of oil. I will be the first to admit, I am not an engineer, just an old car enthusiast, so I am not anywhere close to being qualified to answer that question, thus, you will forgive me for not putting myself up for target practice. However, I will share with you what I know and what I read here. You can use the search function and find out more if you have the free time.

In a nutshell, the ESP line is created to meet the European car manufacturers requirements, with that being said, the Japanese manufactures pretty much follows the Europeans manufactures standard as well. Perform a search on the differences between API and ACEA on this forum or online to learn more about this.

Now, let's see if I will get a "reprimand" notification from one of the Mods here or even get ban because of my above comment. :) Don't get too caught up on this topic, enjoy your new WRX. Happy Motoring !

You are sort of new to this forum, but you will soon find out that there are some senior members here that can get a lot bend out of shape when it comes to the topic of oil. I will be the first to admit, I am not an engineer, just an old car enthusiast, so I am not anywhere close to being qualified to answer that question, thus, you will forgive me for not putting myself up for target practice. However, I will share with you what I know and what I read here. You can use the search function and find out more if you have the free time.

In a nutshell, the ESP line is created to meet the European car manufacturers requirements, with that being said, the Japanese manufactures pretty much follows the Europeans manufactures standard as well. Perform a search on the differences between API and ACEA on this forum or online to learn more about this.

Now, let's see if I will get a "reprimand" notification from one of the Mods here or even get ban because of my above comment. :) Don't get too caught up on this topic, enjoy your new WRX. Happy Motoring !

Thanks for your thoughts. I will do a bit more research :)

OP, forget about API SP. Why even bother when you have MB 229.51,
BMW LL-04 and VW 504 00 (or even just ACEA C3-23 & C4-23 (2023))?

Ontario? I don't know if a 5W is sufficient for your coldest winter nights,
but you could easily pick a 0W-30 like M1 ESP. Otherwise I'd use 5W-30
C3 (again such like M1 ESP).

I have a jug of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 going in hopefully this weekend. I know it's a bit on the thinner side but better than 0w-20.
I was looking at thicker 5W-30's that are commonly available in my area that are affordable, and it looks like Quaker State Full Syn 5W-30 is the thickest of the non-Euro synthetic offerings, at 11.6 Cst.

I will probably try this when the summer heat arrives. The WRX has oil temp monitor, and right now it always lives below 100C. In the summer, not so much, I've seen 110C +

What's the thickest SP 5W-30 guys?
my 2 cents.
my forester hits 235f on the highway. 110C is normal.

If your bulk oil temp is consistently going over 260f or 125C while tracking
I would run a 5w40 or 0w40 such as m1 0w40.
otherwise a good 0w30 or 5w30.

Back