Uhhoh.. They overfilled my oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've run my Crown Vic a full quart over-full (even 5 quarts puts it well above the full line, and that's the stated capacity) and I could not notice a single difference. Some engines just don't seem to care.

Originally Posted By: wolfc70
Originally Posted By: jackson
I took my 1999 Altima in for an oil/filter change. Now my dipstick is showing an overfill. The oil is at the red line pictured below.

sentra_dip_stick.jpg

The manual says the oil capacity is about 3.5 quarts with filter. Dang, judging from the dipstick, it looks like they put in 5 quarts! Maybe it's not that much, I really don't know. Does anyone have an idea how much I'm overfilled? Will my car be okay, or should I go back to the shop and tell them to drain some oil out? I think they are closed today.

They only put in 4 quarts. My 1998 Altima was the same way, the dip stick reads wonky. For some reason, it is not linear in reading. To go from the lower hash marks to the top of the has area takes about .75 quarts. If you go from the "L" to the top of the hashed area is one full quart. As I have found out over the years, most dip sticks only give an approximate reading. The Altima set up is also very picky on how level the surface is, even a slight forward incline will make it read high.

You can remove some if you want, but it is really not that over filled. And the official capacity is 4 quarts with filter change, and 3.5 without filter change. 4 quarts with filter always showed high on the dip stick, usually just at the bend you are showing in the picture.

My owners manual has the oil capacity at 3-5/8 quarts with filter. They say that's an approximation though, so what the heck.

Anyhow, I'm feeling a lot better after reading your post and sayjac's thread. Today I did an oil check after driving my car around town, then letting it sit for 5 minutes. The oil level was a little above the "H", so that's not too bad.

I also took Patman's advice and did an oil check immediately after turning off the engine. There were no tiny bubbles on the dipstick. That made me smile. (I even played Don Ho's song in celebration! j/k)

As it stands now, I'm going to keep the oil as is and not hassle with it. Thanks for all the replies. BITOG is a good forum.

yeah my car calls for 6 quarts (5.7L), but the guy who was changing the oil accidentally put all 6 (1L) bottles in, so overfilling by 0.3L. The car drives fine, heck even better than before or its just all in my head, and no bubbles on the dipstick.
I think a small amount like that wont make a difference.

:)

Well, yesterday I asked the mechanic who did my oil change about this. I guess I was still kinda bugged by the whole thing. He said he put in 4 quarts, and that he has been putting 4 quarts in Altimas like mine for years with no problems. So that's that. I just wish my dipstick wasn't so wonky.

Originally Posted By: defektes
he should be putting in 3.5 quarts the car calls for not a extra half a quart.

My owners manual lists the capacity at just over 3.5 quarts with filter change, but they claim it's approximate. Wolfc70 said the official capacity is 4 quarts with filter change. I would be a lot more concerned if 5 quarts instead of 4 were put in. But I'll tell you one thing: next oil change I'm going to request that they put in 3.5 quarts. And I'll be watching them too.

Here's something interesting. I checked the Altima owners manuals for different years, and these are the oil capacities (w/ filter) I found:

1996 - 1997... 4 qts.
1998.......... 4 1/4 qts.
1999 - 2001... 3 5/8 qts.

As far as I know, the Altima engines were identical for these years, but the published oil capacities varied by as much as nearly 3/4 of a quart!

Originally Posted By: jackson
Here's something interesting. I checked the Altima owners manuals for different years, and these are the oil capacities (w/ filter) I found:

1996 - 1997... 4 qts.
1998.......... 4 1/4 qts.
1999 - 2001... 3 5/8 qts.

As far as I know, the Altima engines were identical for these years, but the published oil capacities varied by as much as nearly 3/4 of a quart!

what the...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back