Fiat 1.4 T-Jet engine oil overfill

Here is a question about a Fiat Tipo with the 1.4L T-Jet engine.

Using Motul's lube advisor which usually lists separately the sump capacity and the oil filter's capacity, I got it filled with 4.23 quarts of engine oil instead of the 3.6 quarts which is the correct quantity.

The car drove about 1-1.5 miles with a 0.63 quarts surplus of engine oil, which is about 0.4 to 0.65 inches higher than the Max level marker on the dipstick.

How prone is the T-Jet engine to any damage caused by the overfill? Any damage that can appear in the future?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

If the oil shows bubbles or looks to have foamed then it means it was overfilled enough to where it is a problem. The crank shaft is slapping the oil. And if it is very overfilled the oil will be forced into the crank case ventilation and it will start smoking out of the tail pipe which is very bad. But 0.6 quarts harms almost no car engine even the small ones. If you have no foaming/bubbling you're fine. I overfill my 6 quart engines by 1-2 quarts all the time so i never have to top them. Never had a problem.

If the oil shows bubbles or looks to have foamed then it means it was overfilled enough to where it is a problem. The crank shaft is slapping the oil. And if it is very overfilled the oil will be forced into the crank case ventilation and it will start smoking out of the tail pipe which is very bad. But 0.6 quarts harms almost no car engine even the small ones. If you have no foaming/bubbling you're fine. I overfill my 6 quart engines by 1-2 quarts all the time so i never have to top them. Never had a problem.
Yeah... Tipo's engine is a smaller one that takes about 3.6 quarts. So I overfilled it about 17.5%. 1 to 2 quarts overfill for an engine that takes 6 quarts is 16.7% to 33.4% surplus of engine oil.

Is foaming visible on the dipstick? Also what color does the smoke have when oil burns along with the fuel? Is that blue?

Yeah... Tipo's engine is a smaller one that takes about 3.6 quarts. So I overfilled it about 17.5%. 1 to 2 quarts overfill for an engine that takes 6 quarts is 16.7% to 33.4% surplus of engine oil.

Is foaming visible on the dipstick? Also what color does the smoke have when oil burns along with the fuel? Is that blue?
Yes, the oil smoke would be blue.

Nah don't worry if you fixed it soon, it's bullet-proof engine.
Yes. I have heard that. I have been told that's an engine that can take much abuse. But what I have in mind is harsh driving in high revs for prolonged periods, not overfilling it with oil.

Yes, the oil smoke would be blue.
Thanks. Just wanted to confirm it. So yeah, no blue smoke in my case came out of the exhaust.

Yes. I have heard that. I have been told that's an engine that can take much abuse. But what I have in mind is harsh driving in high revs for prolonged periods, not overfilling it with oil.

Thanks. Just wanted to confirm it. So yeah, no blue smoke in my case came out of the exhaust.
I always shake my bottles with about 20% of the oil remaining in it to get any additives that might have fallen out of suspension since they can sit for a year or more. When i do that the oil has an almost milky color because of the air but I still pour it straight in and start the engine. But on the dip stick if you over filled it to where it would hit the crank but only ran it for a minute or two the oil will have tiny bubbles you can see. If it ran for longer than that the oil will have a slightly milky color that goes away after the oil sits and lets the air release. And the smoke that comes out of an extremely overfilled engine is blue to bluish white.

I have customer with a little convertible Fiat 500 pop. It takes 4 qts and I fill it exactly to the correct level but once she had to go to a quick lube and they put 5 qts in and nothing happened.

I always shake my bottles with about 20% of the oil remaining in it to get any additives that might have fallen out of suspension since they can sit for a year or more. When i do that the oil has an almost milky color because of the air but I still pour it straight in and start the engine. But on the dip stick if you over filled it to where it would hit the crank but only ran it for a minute or two the oil will have tiny bubbles you can see. If it ran for longer than that the oil will have a slightly milky color that goes away after the oil sits and lets the air release. And the smoke that comes out of an extremely overfilled engine is blue to bluish white.
Thanks for your input!

I have customer with a little convertible Fiat 500 pop. It takes 4 qts and I fill it exactly to the correct level but once she had to go to a quick lube and they put 5 qts in and nothing happened.
Well, thanks! That's reassuring. If I'm not mistaken the 500 has the same engine, but not turbocharged.

Last edited:
The car drove about 1-1.5 miles with a 0.63 quarts surplus of engine oil, which is about 0.4 to 0.65 inches higher than the Max level marker on the dipstick.

1.5 miles isn't going to do any damage to the Fiat Turbo 1.4 engine.

When my wife bought her 2012 Abarth, included was the Trackday Experience that came with it.
One of the things they went over was that overfilling the engine by half a quart is helpful to prevent cavitation in high speed sweeping turns.

So, no issues with the amount of oil you had overfilled with compared to the same amount being added for an entire track day session.

generally the excess oil will burn off. Don't floor the throttle prdal until it has dropped to normal level.
If the excess is more than 100ml, I would drain it

generally the excess oil will burn off. Don't floor the throttle prdal until it has dropped to normal level.
If the excess is more than 100ml, I would drain it
I have already drain it. I'm sure though that the tolerance is more than 100 ml.
Anyway, I never intentionally overfill any engine with oil and if it happens, I too drain the excess.

I wouldn't give the short time you were over by 2/3s quart a 2nd thought.
You did no harm. OTOH I wouldn't feel comfortable running "one or two quarts over" amount recommended.

Back