Three Tires Damaged (1 Flat) - What Would You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I ended up having Townfair Tire patch both holes on the one tire with two nails. The nails were still embedded in the tire, so I'm sure figuring out where to plug wasn't very hard.

I asked again before, and then confirmed after the job, that they were actually patching the tire, not plugging it. I'm still surprised that it was < $5!

With temperatures looking like they'll be above freezing for the next 10 days, I might risk swapping the winters for the summers some time this week. I don't have any long-distance driving planned for the next few weeks, so swapping sooner than later will give me time to assess the other two tires while close to home (and the hobby shop!)

Thanks again for every one's input. I really do appreciate all of the advice you guys offer.

I'm a little surprised it's only $5, but not by much. Years ago, I paid less than $10 for the proper patch. I'm just surprised they're still this cheap. More recent patches I've had were under tire store road hazard warranties, so nothing out of pocket for me on those.

You should be fine for many, many miles on the patched tire, assuming it was done properly.

Also, if a nail didn't go deep enough to puncture the tire, it probably didn't do any damage to the structure of the tire.

Last edited:
I just checked the receipt and it says in relatively big letters that they did me a favor (the general "me",) saying that to inspect, clean, patch/plug and rebalance usually costs between ~$15 and $20, but today it's only $3.95 + tax.

Sounds like TF treated you fairly. I too have read mixed reviews of TF here for folks up your way.

The punctures must have been located in a patchable area, away from the shoulder.

I know posters here have posted that Discount Tire has patched their tires gratis for tires not purchased there. I don't know as I purchase all my tires there, so it's included.

But,

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Sounds like TF treated you fairly. I too have read mixed reviews of TF here for folks up your way.

The punctures must have been located in a patchable area, away from the shoulder.

I know posters here have posted that Discount Tire has patched their tires gratis for tires not purchased there. I don't know as I purchase all my tires there, so it's included.

But, div>

Yea, it was the least those stupid nails could do, stay in the tire and at an easily patchable location. I haven't had one bad experience with them, so I'll continue to use them.

I'll post pics some time this weekend, if I remember.

I had a place I really liked the problem was their alignment and mounting/balancing equipment was WW2 era.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I had a place I really liked the problem was their alignment and mounting/balancing equipment was WW2 era.

That's a shame. I'm not one to trust others with my car, so it's pretty important finding some one I can trust. I'm lucky to have a great dealer (though I won't go to them for after-warranty issues) and tire shop. If I ask, TF Tire will shoot for exactly the specs I ask for, while others will get close enough. I know it doesn't matter, but the extra effort says something about them.

Originally Posted By: Rand

The place where my wife works (towing company) still uses a tire-mounting machine from 1948 (bought used in the mid-60's, replaced tire irons) and a spin-balancer from about 1970 (bought used around 1980, replaced a bubble balancer. They still work perfectly.

Well, today ends day one of driving around with the two-patched tire, and all seems well. I'll check tire pressures before and after my 2-hour trip tomorrow, and frequently for a while to make sure the patch has resolved the issue.

Just to recap for those who haven't been following:

Swapped my summer setup for my winter setup and noticed that one tire had two nails still in the tire, though pressure was normal. After a few weeks in storage the tire was flat. I took it to Town Fair Tire and had both nail holes patched. The tire has been in storage for another few weeks since then, and tire pressure has been steady. Summer tires were installed today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back