Tire plugs, who uses them?

Stepdaughter's Tiguan had a slow leak in LR tire. Pulled it off, soaped it down, nail about 25% across face of tread. Removed nail, dressed hole, fiber plug with rubber cement installed. Wait an hour. Inflate and cut off excess. Been plugging all manner of tires for 5 decades. I have had a few that failed/leaked after repair that required a tire shop patch. I have some spoons but am too lazy for steel belted passenger car tires to patch myself. Anyone else plug tires? Or is the consensus is, it is too dangerous? I would gladly patch if someone gives me a pneumatic tire machine. Comments for or against?

So far the plugs that DT put in my tire has held, but conversely the one that NTB did some 5 years ago did not hold.

I've plugged just about one tire out of every set of tires I've had at one time or another. Some double plugged! I run a 1/4" drill bit through the hole.

I plug tires. I’ve had plugs last years. Haven’t had one fail. My Escape has two plugged tires, truck has had a plugged tire since 2018 so yeah I trust them. No way I’m taking it off the rim if I don’t have too. I hate doing tires and using the tire machine.

I have installed at least a dozen plugs in my life. At one time three of the four tires on my Matrix were plugged.

I had the marvelous occasion to see a true artist at work a few decades ago when a front tire on my TR-4 picked up a nail miles from home. Pulling in to the first gas station I saw, there was a grizzled old man sitting out front just chewing on a dead cigar .

When he found out my trouble he said, “just leave the car parked by the pumps..” and disappeared into the station. When he reappeared he had a shop cloth with a couple of tools and a tire plug in hand.

With an amazing economy of motion he aired up the tire to about 50 psi, pulled out the nail, and inserted the plug in one fast movement.

All happened so fast my eyes could not keep up with his hands. Thru the cigar he growled, “about 32 lbs OK with you?”

Of course, the tire was exactly at 32, no more, no less (without having to add or let out any additional air).

He charged me a dollar. I went inside to pay and noticed the station was selling cigars, his brand of course. I bought him a handful for another dollar as a well deserved tip, it was worth $2 to be witness of a maestro in action.

The whole repair took about 60 seconds.

Z

I've had tires repaired by an approved method and I've had tires plugged.
I've also plugged a few myself.
The plugs seem to work just fine.

I’ve plugged many tires and have yet to have one fail. On a side note, my wife’s 2008 Pontiac Solstice has a factory 12 volt air compressor in the ‘ trunk ‘ as well as a GM can of ‘ fix a flat ‘ since the Solstice and Saturn Sky came from GM with no spare tire. :oops: I do have “ flat tire anxiety “ so I added a new 12V air compressor and a fresh plug kit as I don’t trust the 15 year old kit from GM. I also have new tires, a AAA platinum card and a cell phone…. but still the anxiety persists.

Another plugger here. I have tire dismounting equipment but still just plug them. Maintaining a stock of mushroom plugs and cement is expensive in contrast.

No way I'm trusting a plug-only repair long term. These are designed for emergencies, allowing you to get to your next destination for a proper repair.

Patch/plug combos are the only acceptable repair approved by the NHTSA and is what Discount Tire uses.

Last edited:
Discount Tire wanted $300 for a new tire on my Genesis in August, so I plugged it.

576ADC48-2491-4423-BA6F-A9C61E361E51.jpeg

I have used them in the past and they worked great.. I carry a kit in my car just in case and would use it again if needed....

No way I'm trusting a plug-only repair long term. These are designed for emergencies, allowing you to get to your next destination for a proper repair.

Patch/plug combos are the only acceptable repair approved by the NHTSA and is what Discount Tire uses

Tires have way more safety factor in them than most of us give credit for. Yes, a patch is better but it's still not fixing the puncture in the steel belts in the tire. The biggest risk in a plug is simply that it may not seal perfectly and a slow leak develops. But the fact that people have been plugging tires for decades without problem is a testament to how effective it is.

I use a plug everytime for auto tires and riding mower tires. I never had one ever leak. I just recently plugged a thorn hole on my riding mower's rear tire sidewall. It's holding up fine and I hopefully won't have to buy a tire for it. I won't plug a sidewall on my auto's tire.

Back