Three Tires Damaged (1 Flat) - What Would You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I'm not sure where nor how, but I must have run over some nails with my summer tires last December. I noticed it while swapping them out for my winter setup. I was so mad that I bagged them immediately and put them in storage. After a few months, and with the weather warming, I finally checked them out and found the following:

1 tire is fine - a few nicks on the meat of the tread, but no punctures.

2 tires have one puncture each, in the meat of the tread, but still hold air. I can't tell how deep the puntures are, just that there is a puncture in the meat of the tread.

1 tire has two nails still in it, ~120 degrees apart, in the meat of the tread. It is flat.

All tire damage is in the meat of the tread, not in the channel or sidewall. I called my local tire shop and they quoted
The tires in question are Dunlop SP600 summer tires, with maybe 75% tread left.

I would not feel good with a nail being in there holding air. Reading between the lines, they are on rims? You should peel them off and look inside to see if the nails made it all the way through; if not, you got lucky.

Make sure they know your flat tire wasn't run flat but rather went flat from storage. They'll know you're okay by the lack of rubber dust one gets when they drive on a flat for a long time.

If they use mushroom plugs you should not have to think about it again. It's a multi-step process done properly: buff rubber, strip wax, apply cement, apply patch, paint over patch with bead sealer goo.

just get them patched- pay the extra money and get the patches that patch the puncture wiht a a plug and patch that are inserted from the inside and you should be fine.

Our area has seen many roofs damaged because of a nasty hail storm last year. The resulting re-roofing has been messing up tires. I wonder why roofers can be so careless.
As a result, I've gotten 3 nails in one car's tires, all repairable. 2 nails in the other car's tires and 1 was unrepairable...the nail went through the tread at an angle and damaged the inside of the sidewall. Tires are a big investment. If they are still 75%...and the tire shop examines them and says they are okay, then I'd run them. For peace of mind, you can have them patch the "punctures" from the inside. What I think you mean by punctures is an area of tread that's chunked off correct?

Sorry, I may not have been clear. The tires are on rims. The tire with the two nails will be patched, if possible (I don't see why not, since the punctures are so far apart.)

The other two tires have puncture holes, but the nail was not there when the tires were removed. I have no idea how deep the hole is on each tire and whether it has affected the integrity of the tires.

The tire shop's recommendation is to remove the nails and patch the one tire and do nothing for the other two tires, since they both hold air. Should I insist they pull the tires off and inspect or is the fact that they hold air sufficient?

I'll make sure to mention that specific patching method, eljefino, thanks

Last edited:
that patching method may be expensive normally if they quote 5$ its the black rope plug method of fixing.

Tire patching/plugging are generally reliable, and assuming you are driving just normal speeds (
With as many plugs and patches as it seems that you are going to be needing, I wouldnt want to rely on them for that long or that far.

At minimum, Id be saving up for a new set of tires, and if I encounter a single issue, they are all gone.

Meanwhile Id be sure my tire fixing/changing tools and an air pump are always with me.

The ability to patch will also depend on the location of the punctures. In/near the center the tires should be able to be patched. Near the shoulder not as likely, if at all.

I agree with the poster that said, the rope plug price as opposed to taking the tire off the rim for the patch process previously described. Patching also requires the tires to be rebalanced after patching.

If the nail isn't there and the tire is holding air, that means it is not a through puncture and it is fine to use as is (what is to patch if it is not punctured?)

I'd not worry about it and just patch the 2 tires and keep driving.

Me: "[explained the situation] How much to remove the tire and patch it?"

Tech: "$4.20"

Me: "What, that's all it is to remove the tire and patch it from the inside, not the tar plug"

Him: "yep, that's it, if we can and if that's all it needs."

If all it is is the tar plug, I have my own kit for that; for temp fixes.

I've got a quote for a set of all-season Conti DWS to go on. The plan was to prepare for the worst, and if I needed to relace these summer tires, I'd buy the longer-life DWS all-season tires and look around for a nice track setup.

If I keep these tires, the plan was to do the same, but AFTER they were worn down and needing replacement. I want to auto-cross more often this year, and maybe do a road course.

Based on what you guys are suggesting, I'll have the one tire patched (two patches) and keep a very close eye on them, especially if I decide to auto-cross or take them on the track. I'll also make sure to ensure they're patched correctly.

I also always keep a socket set, Fluke, air pump, other simple tools, gloves and first-aid kit in the car at all times. I keep a dig-it or knife and flash light on my person at all times, too.

Last edited:
Four years ago I picked up a nail while on vacation in FL. Got it repaired at a Firestone store. They took it off the rim and did the patch properly. It took over an hour. They remounted and balanced the tire for around $25-$30 total. It was fine till I got all new tires. Never lost air or caused any vibrations. I'd definitely patch them properly. It's less expensive than buying new tires if these tires have 75% of their tread left.

Whimsey

I always have tires patch plugged and drive them thousands of miles until they are 1/32 from the wear bars then replace them. never an issue. I have driven on 1500 miles trips with them as well at 80mph.

There's nothing to patch if the nails haven't gone through the entire tire treadwall. That we know because you are not losing air. I feel the same about the plug method. Not needed. I'd mount them again on the car.

Re the flat tire with 2 nails, I'd patch and plug them, then mount them on the car. Just make sure the belts have not weakened by inspecting the inside of the tire once off the rim. If you have a full sized spare, I'd use it and make the formerly flat tire the spare.

I'd check the date of manufacture and determine if the age of the tire is worth patching.

My limit is 7yr old, tread depth is not a factor.

Other wise, probe the depth if the holes which didn't go flat to see if you are to the cords and patch/plug the flat.

tread depth is definitely a factor. Being its a subaru any replacement tire would have to be shaved also.

I'd make sure they rebalance after 2 patches.

it takes less weight that far out to make it out of balance than it does weight at the rim.

(ie .25oz patch might need .5oz weight on rim to offset it)

If you get/are serious into autocrossing you will probably pickup a set of rims and tires for that anyway.

Last edited:
I'm driving on my winter rims/tires now.

The subject tires, Dunlop SP600's, are still in storage, mounted to my summer rims. They've got 75% tread left and are only a couple of years old -- I bought the OEM Enkei rims and Dunlop tires together from an '11 STI owner (I got the rims, tires with
Since the tires are not installed on my car, and the one tire had not lost air prior to being removed (ie not driven on flat), all I have to do is take it to Townfair (you guessed correctly, Jarlaxle) and hand them the rim/tire. If a proper patch job will only be $5, then that's fantastic.

For the two that still hold air, again my only concern is that the nail ALMOST made it through, kinda like pressing your thump into a balloon and when you let go there's a bubble. This is actually my main concern, because I can't see inside the tire to confirm, and I don't know whether, like the guy at Townfair says, "if it's holding air, it's fine" is correct.

As an aside, this particular Townfair Tire gets mixed reviews, with seemingly just as many "bad" experiences as good. I almost always wait longer than they say I'll have to, but have never had a bad experience. The clutch in the STI is a bit tricky if you've never driven a vehicle with one so heavy, but the couple of times I've watched them drive in and out of the bay the techs had no issues.

Thanks again for all the help, guys

Last edited:
I ended up having Townfair Tire patch both holes on the one tire with two nails. The nails were still embedded in the tire, so I'm sure figuring out where to plug wasn't very hard.

I asked again before, and then confirmed after the job, that they were actually patching the tire, not plugging it. I'm still surprised that it was < $5!

With temperatures looking like they'll be above freezing for the next 10 days, I might risk swapping the winters for the summers some time this week. I don't have any long-distance driving planned for the next few weeks, so swapping sooner than later will give me time to assess the other two tires while close to home (and the hobby shop!)

Thanks again for every one's input. I really do appreciate all of the advice you guys offer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back