Is Discount Tire certificate worth it for my situation?

Hello folks,

It's time to start shopping for new tires for the CX5 (AWD). DT has the certificates that will cover irreparable damage but for a set of $220x4 tires, the certs will cost around $175. I drive ~30k miles a year so if I get a nail in the sidewall of one tire at 9/32, I will have to buy an entire new set of tires - essentially wasting the certificates on the other 3 tires within months. The savings end up ~$60 for a service I may never use. Is my thinking proper, when considering the value of DT's tire certificate?
I am not a warranty etc. buyer/never have been. I've bought the certs multiple times and had it pay out a few so probably even with the house but of course in general, the house wins here b/c well, that's why they sell them. If you get a side wall nail at 9/32 why would you buy a new set of tires? B/c it's awd? Not necessary. DT is nice b/c they will just repair the tires for free regardless. Many manufacturers have pro-rated hazard warranties anyway. Just an easy way to cover the cost of a new tire really. Example. Atlas (typical fwd-biased awd system) had one of the new Pirellis need replacement due to a nail. Certs were around $175. New tire was $200. It was at about 9/32. So just got a new tire which paid for it. Unless the tire tread depth delta is significant, having a new tire won't hurt a thing but folks like to argue this point all the time. It's got open diffs. It just compensates with the wheel speed sensors but sure, at some point once wheel has such a different speed than the others that the awd system *may* get wonky w/r to power application but I still think it's mainly internet boogieman. How often are everyone's tires all evenly worn? My front to rear can be a few 32's off without drama on any of my awd vehicles.

Last edited:
If you blew out a tire you could probably get a shaved replacement to make your awd happier if needed.. now convincing tire store people of any of that is usually worse than hammering your head into a concrete block.

Since many assume they are the final authority in tire knowledge simply from being a tire buster and being a teen.. back when we all knew it all... :ROFLMAO:

My last visit to DT was pretty abysmal. I paid for 4 new TPMS valve's - my kid was taking the car, at least one didn't work and all were old so I didn't want any trouble. They brought it out without them, light on. I went back in and they wanted to argue I only paid for seals - I told them to look at the work order and after arguing some more they finally did and of course had to take it back in and I had to wait again.

If they weren't the only one around with a hunter balancer they wouldn't see me again.

If you blew out a tire you could probably get a shaved replacement to make your awd happier if needed.. now convincing tire store people of any of that is usually worse than hammering your head into a concrete block.

Since many assume they are the final authority in tire knowledge simply from being a tire buster and being a teen.. back when we all knew it all... :ROFLMAO:
This. They have no clue how most awd systems work and treat them all like my '92 Toyota 4x4 driving on the street turning around in a court in 4x4.

I ended up ordering a set of Continental True Contact Tour from Tire Rack. The price is the same as DT and comes with road hazard; I've concluded that DT's certificates are not worth it for my situation. It's been a decade since I've used Continental so I'm excited to see how these are.

TR used to do shaving, I don't know if they still do - it's been a while since I've checked. Unfortunately the Pirellis I had were a DT exclusive and is not made anymore :(. I know the whole "gotta keep the treadwear even" for AWD cars have always been a debate but in my experiences with AWD, the center diff will start locking with too big of a treadwear differential so I'd rather not have to buy a new transfer case.

Only if you’re my sister-in-law and get seven to eight nails in three years as well as a sliced sidewall and then a nail in the sidewall of the recently replaced certificate tire🙄

Even got a nail in a rental car on vacation ☹️

I ended up ordering a set of Continental True Contact Tour from Tire Rack. The price is the same as DT and comes with road hazard; I've concluded that DT's certificates are not worth it for my situation. It's been a decade since I've used Continental so I'm excited to see how these are.

TR used to do shaving, I don't know if they still do - it's been a while since I've checked. Unfortunately the Pirellis I had were a DT exclusive and is not made anymore :(. I know the whole "gotta keep the treadwear even" for AWD cars have always been a debate but in my experiences with AWD, the center diff will start locking with too big of a treadwear differential so I'd rather not have to buy a new transfer case.
If you have a center diff awd system yes sure...for fwd based systems it's not such a big deal

If you have a center diff awd system yes sure...for fwd based systems it's not such a big deal
All of mine are normally within about 2/32", front/rear, FWD and AWD currently.

My FIL couldn't be bothered doing rotations on hos '04 CRV with mechanical "real time AWD". Buying 4 tires was too expensive, better to buy 2 when they are worn, more economical. Didn't matter how I explained it including "give me or your daughter the money and we'll hold it" 1/2 way through. No reasoning of rain/snow explaining his AWD system etc. worked so it became not my problem. Probabaly about a year later he asks for help diagnosing noises etc. It was coming from rear diff. He brought it in and lots of shiny metal stuff drained out. Cost him I think about $1500 for a new rear diff and then like $600 for new tires. Shop explained the mechanical system in his CRV. When front wheels spin faster, pistons in rear end pump and engage the rear wheels. They were trying to make the rear tires spin as fast as front but dry ground wouldn't allow it. Something had to give, he listens to me a lot more now. Still bitches and whines and doesn't want to hear it so I say no problem, remember your CRV and walk away. He brings money accordingly pretty quickly.

I have used the included road hazard warranties from Costco, Sam's and Tire Rack. I did not pay or purchase the certificates from DTD when I bought from them. I have no DT around me to go for service. Tire Rack was excellent when the Pirelli Scorpion AT's wore early on FIL's Renegade. A phone call, couple pictures showing even wear but less than mileage warranty and they did the pro-rate on the new set I ordered from them.

I likely won't do certs on my new Conti ECS02s I get this month, Conti itself has quite a warranty themselves.

Reactions: Pew
All of mine are normally within about 2/32", front/rear, FWD and AWD currently.

My FIL couldn't be bothered doing rotations on hos '04 CRV with mechanical "real time AWD". Buying 4 tires was too expensive, better to buy 2 when they are worn, more economical. Didn't matter how I explained it including "give me or your daughter the money and we'll hold it" 1/2 way through. No reasoning of rain/snow explaining his AWD system etc. worked so it became not my problem. Probabaly about a year later he asks for help diagnosing noises etc. It was coming from rear diff. He brought it in and lots of shiny metal stuff drained out. Cost him I think about $1500 for a new rear diff and then like $600 for new tires. Shop explained the mechanical system in his CRV. When front wheels spin faster, pistons in rear end pump and engage the rear wheels. They were trying to make the rear tires spin as fast as front but dry ground wouldn't allow it. Something had to give, he listens to me a lot more now. Still bitches and whines and doesn't want to hear it so I say no problem, remember your CRV and walk away. He brings money accordingly pretty quickly.

I have used the included road hazard warranties from Costco, Sam's and Tire Rack. I did not pay or purchase the certificates from DTD when I bought from them. I have no DT around me to go for service. Tire Rack was excellent when the Pirelli Scorpion AT's wore early on FIL's Renegade. A phone call, couple pictures showing even wear but less than mileage warranty and they did the pro-rate on the new set I ordered from them.
Rear diffs also can go on their own....things can be coincidence. My awd in my Atlas/Sportwagen work like what you describe. FWD primarily and with power the rear diff's hydraulic pump pumps fluid into a clutch pack that engages/disengages based on pressure. The r. diff is just mechanical open like any other. The speed delta front to rear from any minor tire size variation is handled by the clutch pack, not the diff itself....at least with my Gen5 Haldex on the VWs.

Last edited:
I likely won't do certs on my new Conti ECS02s I get this month, Conti itself has quite a warranty themselves.

12 month road hazard for Continental's policy is quite awesome!

I think Tire Rack is now owned by Discount Tire.
It is but their road hazard is different and their systems aren't integrated with each other yet. Luckily TR lets you ship it straight to a DT close by but you'll need to make the appointment separate.

It is but their road hazard is different and their systems aren't integrated with each other yet. Luckily TR lets you ship it straight to a DT close by but you'll need to make the appointment separate.
Yeah, TR RH is quite different than DT. If you buy the tires from TR, they will ship to your local DT for install....kinda like ordering them from DT basically but with a better included RH.

It's been a while but on a new set of 4 from Discount Tire, the question of certificates came up when I was paying the bill. Don't remember how much they were but tires were under 100 bucks a piece. If I recall the 4 certs equalled the price of one tire. Half joking, I asked the young guy if I could buy one certificate. He came back with " well yeah, but how would we know which tire"? Exactly son.

• Haha
Reactions: Pew
I just compared DT, TR, and Costco for one rear on the 5.0 in my area. JUST the tire with nothing else.
DT: $409
TR: $461.54 ("Free" road hazard protection ;) )
Costco: $424.99 (comes with 5 year road hazard protection)

Barring a few dollars of what the tire sells for retail, everything else is whether you want the extra peace of mind. The last time I used the DT warranty was about 14 years ago when a tire somehow got an irreparable cut on the sidewall. I had a Michelin warranty honored a couple years ago on the 5.0 due to premature wear, so DT still kept all their $$ for the certs.

Back