Tire plugs, who uses them?

but tyre shops tell me its a temporary fix and to get it to a permanent fix they need to take the tyre off the rim and patch it from inside.

Now are these tyre shops talking from experience or from loss of business?
Examine both methods.

The inside patch costs more to install. And it can create an unbalanced condition unless the shop charges you for, and does, a proper rebalance after the inside patch has been installed.

The inside patch will not hold air any better than the properly installed plug will. (Zero leaks). And at the same time does not require the wheel to be removed from the car, and the tire to be removed from the rim. Nor is any rebalancing required after it is installed.

You make the call.

I've use plugs and as long as they hold air I forget them afterwards. Even go road racing with them doing the 10/10s..

I stopped after our tires were purchased at Costco. Since they patch and rebalance free. But I used to plug tires sure, even a RFT and near the sidewall.

I found that if the plug is on the outer edge where a shop would not plug, it worked on the rear but leaked on the front. I figured it related to turning.

but tyre shops tell me its a temporary fix and to get it to a permanent fix they need to take the tyre off the rim and patch it from inside.

Now are these tyre shops talking from experience or from loss of business?
They're coming at it from a point of liability.

Their insurers may have told them that they wouldn't cover a loss related to a tire plug they've done.

or

Tire manufacturers could have scared them over time that a patch/plug is the only way to go.

At the end of the day, there are millions of tires running around out there on plugs that never fail, but I'll acknowledge that the patch/plug may well be a more secure way to do it if you want to invest the time and money in it. There is almost no way one could work out. How much better? Dunno.

Is there a way to remove and remount tyres at home without special tools? Balance will be a problem since you need special machines for that

Shop used one today on FIL "loaner" Jeep Cherokee. No spare tire in the loaner. They ordered a new tire, will have it tomorrow. On left rear inside edge. At least he can go local for his doctor appointments.

This is the 2nd tire he had to put in it now. First one he hit the Belgian blocks nd ripped the sidewall. He had that flat bedded to Jeep thinking they would fix it since it's a loaner. They charged him $300. Local independent shop I go to $210 OTD for the same tire. Conti Procontact TX. By the way, they are NOT very good in wet heavy snow IMO. I'm spoiled by full winters in the rest of the cars.

His Renegade is still at Jeep waiting for a motor under warranty, 2 weeks will make 8 months he has had the loaner.
IMG_5485.jpg

Is there a way to remove and remount tyres at home without special tools? Balance will be a problem since you need special machines for that
Harbor Freight sells a manual tire changer and a bubble balancer. You can find wheel weights online. Eat your Wheaties! I plug everything. Dozen's over the years. I have had a couple that still had tiny leaks, I went to the tire shop and had these repaired with a patch. They mark the tire/rim location and don't rebalance in my experience.

They're coming at it from a point of liability.

Their insurers may have told them that they wouldn't cover a loss related to a tire plug they've done.

or

Tire manufacturers could have scared them over time that a patch/plug is the only way to go.

At the end of the day, there are millions of tires running around out there on plugs that never fail, but I'll acknowledge that the patch/plug may well be a more secure way to do it if you want to invest the time and money in it. There is almost no way one could work out. How much better? Dunno.
In my last 20 years all my tires come with free repair and balancing. No need to do it myself. And they've all done a patch and plug and rebalanced when needed.

Tire plug is still fine, as I posted in post #16.

However, I got 2 more nails but in the LR tire. So glad I didn’t buy a new tire each time this happens. I would have let Discount Tire do this one, as the leaky nail was in the center. But it also had a tiny nail on the shoulder that didn’t leak and I was worried Discount would turn me down. Oh well, it’s been 2 weeks and probably 700 miles at least.

IMG_8584.jpeg
IMG_8586.jpeg

Back