Please help me understand Extended Oil Drain motor oils

I will continue NOT to believe the advertising bunk and change my vehicles at 3K.
You are living in the '50s. Back in the day we had open crankcases allowing the engine to take in dirty air and pollute the oil. Today we don't have that type of crankcase ventilation. In those days we had carburetors so the fuel mixture was not always 'spot-on'. Carburetors allowed cylinder wash from over-rich periods of engine operation. Today we have fuel injection where the fuel /air mixture is spot on and oil dilution from cylinder wash no longer exists.
Over the years motor oil manufacturers have made great advances in the quality of their products so its life expectancy in you engine has increased phenomenally. I change mine ever 8,000 to 10,000 mile. I've owned the car for 14 years and it now shows 159,000 miles on the odometer, and it doesn't use a drop of oil.

RIP, I bet it was a nice car but too bad you are stretching those OCIs. I've just added an oil tank in mine with a constant circulation of new oil.
Wait, a constant circulation? Or are you injecting new oil that is then captured and disposed?

Another possibility would be a distillation and hydrocracking setup in your trunk, essentially re-refining the oil as you drive.

UOAs are your friend here… Some engines might be able to tolerate 10,000 mile plus oil changes (my Toyotas for example), some engines can’t handle over 4,000 (any GDI). The extended drain oils use better base stocks, generally have higher starting & lasting TBN… And generally state “change oil at manufacture’s suggested intervals”… 🤣
Going over 4k on a direct injected engine is definitely certain death. I made that mistake on my Porsche Cayenne with a VW VR6, doing the factory recommended 10k intervals with an A40 oil. When I sold it with 190k miles, it still didn’t burn any oil between changes, but I am sure will definitely die from these intervals by 500k miles.

Wait, a constant circulation? Or are you injecting new oil that is then captured and disposed?

Another possibility would be a distillation and hydrocracking setup in your trunk, essentially re-refining the oil as you drive.
Yes, all constant circulation of new oil and recovery of old. Like one of those fancy auto trans flush machines. I like the hydrocracking idea.

Going over 4k on a direct injected engine is definitely certain death. I made that mistake on my Porsche Cayenne with a VW VR6, doing the factory recommended 10k intervals with an A40 oil. When I sold it with 190k miles, it still didn’t burn any oil between changes, but I am sure will definitely die from these intervals by 500k miles.

This is what I love to see.

You did 10k changes, drove 190k, did no harm to the engine, but since it’s not what you believed, you’re now ignoring the evidence ??????

I be confused

RIP, I bet it was a nice car but too bad you are stretching those OCIs. I've just added an oil tank in mine with a constant circulation of new oil.
Bah humbug.

I put one of these in mine, but it's called a Home Fusion Generator - specifically the Mr. Fusion model. 1.21 jigowatts @88mph.

1708980943718.jpg

You did 10k changes, drove 190k, did no harm to the engine, but since it’s not what you believed, you’re now ignoring the evidence ??????

I be confused
I almost read the post you were responding to as being facetious ... hard to say with the interwebs.

I be confused
That would be because the intense sarcasm with which I wrote my post was filtered out. I am in the do as long of OCI that is safe club. I debated dropping to a shorter interval than 10k on my 2016 Cayenne S (twin turbo V6) but given it holds 9.5 quarts decided I would stick with Porsche’s 10k OCI.

Last edited:
Back