Champion of the Walmart Shelf! SuperTech vs QuakerState vs Valvoline

At the beginning of this thread the screen shot with the price of the 20k Supertech showed $26.18, but when I bought this oil a few weeks ago in Niagara Falls NY it was just under $21. What's up with that higher pricing? California?

At the beginning of this thread the screen shot with the price of the 20k Supertech showed $26.18, but when I bought this oil a few weeks ago in Niagara Falls NY it was just under $21. What's up with that higher pricing? California?

I haven't seen it under $24-25 in over a year.

I haven't seen it under $24-25 in over a year.

Well then I'm lucky to be able to get it from the Niagara Falls NY location, as it's still listed at $20.48 on their website (and that's what I paid a few weeks ago, so that price is correct) The 10,000 mile version is $18.98

Well then I'm lucky to be able to get it from the Niagara Falls NY location, as it's still listed at $20.48 on their website (and that's what I paid a few weeks ago, so that price is correct) The 10,000 mile version is $18.98

I'll have to take a look next time I'm in there, could be I'm wrong.

In South Carolina, checked Walmart yesterday.

20K version $20.48 and the 10K vesion $18.98, so the same as New York. They had plenty of both in stock. 5W-30 and even 0W-20.

The oil companies say all kinds of things. The fact is that I dont know of anyone who will tell you to take an oil to 20000 miles. 20000 mile oil is simply another marketing gimmick.
You really do all you can to avoid reading the HPL threads, don’t you? Maybe you should tell wwillson that he’s been snookered since he’s over 34k miles on the same oil change in his vehicle.

But do you take it to 20k? Or even 10k? I just saw someone mentioned using Amsoil for 3k OCI on a 30 years old passenger vehicle.

Kirkland for me I change annually or when the maintenance minder gets to 20%.

You really do all you can to avoid reading the HPL threads, don’t you? Maybe you should tell wwillson that he’s been snookered since he’s over 34k miles on the same oil change in his vehicle.
You can take your oil to whatever miles you like. I hope my competition in the livery industry never changes their oil and I would encourage them to do that.

Last edited:
It’s an expensive novelty.

If that business model works for HPL then all the more power to them. Amsoil sells a bunch of oil too.

It’s an expensive novelty.

If that business model works for HPL then all the more power to them. Amsoil sells a bunch of oil too.
“Novelty”? That’s quite the take when talking about some of the most technologically advanced, tested and proven engine oils available on the market. If anything, they’ve undersold the capabilities of their products on here because most can’t wrap their heads around the difference without experiencing it themselves.

Amsoil makes many really good products as well. If you don’t have a use case that justifies either one of those brands, don’t. Nobody’s saying these are right for everyone, especially those arbitrarily stuck on a given OCI. But this level of performance potential is hardly a novelty. Their industrial customer footprint dwarfs the engine oil this site contributes to their sales.

“Novelty”? That’s quite the take when talking about some of the most technologically advanced, tested and proven engine oils available on the market. If anything, they’ve undersold the capabilities of their products on here because most can’t wrap their heads around the difference without experiencing it themselves.

Amsoil makes many really good products as well. If you don’t have a use case that justifies either one of those brands, don’t. Nobody’s saying these are right for everyone, especially those arbitrarily stuck on a given OCI. But this level of performance potential is hardly a novelty. Their industrial customer footprint dwarfs the engine oil this site contributes to their sales.

No doubt HPL is a terrific product. But so much discussion here revolves around fuel dilution in DI/TGDI engines and I thought the consensus was the only cure for that was more-frequent oil changes; no oil is really a cure. So with a DI/TGDI engine is a 20k interval a good idea with any oil?

No doubt HPL is a terrific product. But so much discussion here revolves around fuel dilution in DI/TGDI engines and I thought the consensus was the only cure for that was more-frequent oil changes; no oil is really a cure. So with a DI/TGDI engine is a 20k interval a good idea with any oil?
Not in anyway saying just to change oils and blindly charge towards 20k OCIs. If you look at wwillson’s UOAs, the HPL exhibits a known, intentional thickening over time that can partially combat dilution. I’m definitely not the one to explain the mechanism, but at least for my EcoBoost, Dave recommended a condemnation point if the oil thickened into the next grade (in my case, into a 40 grade), but wwillson’s is a 5w20 thickened into a 40 grade and it is still not showing any real concerns. Depending on the amount of fuel in the oil, this mechanism will offset it to keep the oil in grade.

But do you take it to 20k? Or even 10k? I just saw someone mentioned using Amsoil for 3k OCI on a 30 years old passenger vehicle.

Kirkland for me I change annually or when the maintenance minder gets to 20%.

My oil changes in the Civic are usually just a tick under 10k, and I figured the 20k version might just be in better condition towards the end of my interval than the 10k version is and it didn't cost that much more. I still will likely switch over to Kirkland synthetic though, as the sales on it here put it even cheaper than buying Supertech in the US (they often sell it here for $40 CDN for two 5qt jugs, which works out to under $15 US per jug!)

That level of performance and price is PRECISELY a novelty (PCMO).

It’s the literal definition.

We all have our favorite flavors. To each their own.

312580448_1468183630327240_5127217848238075669_n.jpg

Warren Oil Company (makers of Warren, Lubriguard, Autoguard, Itasca, Coastal, LubriGold and Saxon Oils), has NOT been sold. Warren Distribution was sold a while back and currently named Highline Warren LLC.
Fair enough, Warren Distribution, not Warren Oil itself was sold band subsequently it got more expensive in most cases. That is when I quit buying it although the Costco version still seems to be pretty cheap (around $16 for a 5 quart container last time I checked)

Back