Teen girls wearing skimpy dresses out in public

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee. I think that nearly every generation I can recall said similar things about the younger generations' clothes, music, values, etc. Maybe things are deteriorating and the human race's time on this planet is in its autumn years. Maybe this is just SOP for the older folks. I can assure you that parents have ALWAYS been forced to pick battles.

As Billy Joel says in one of his old songs, "The good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems."

I'm going to mention several thoughts on this. All of them are completely unrelated, but have to do with clothes. (Or lack thereof)
My first comment is about how skimpy the bank tellers are dressing. I know this is true, because my sister has a high postition at a bank and she has told the tellers several times to go home and come back only when they dress more appropriate for their job. There hasn't been a lawsuit against her yet.
Second comment: The local Catholic church as issued a dress code. Well, it's doesn't exactly have standards, it's just that the priest has put in the weekly bulletin that the woman are dressing too skimpy and they need to put more clothes on. He's had to put this in the bulletin several times.
Third comment: This happened about 10 years ago, but I think that it is still relevant. A girl that I graduated with from high school and her husband had a problem with their daughters dressing too skimpy at high school. The parents got on their case, but the high school girls kept telling their parents "Why are you getting on my case? It's just clothes! Why are you making such a big deal about what I wear?"
Soooo....the dad decides he's going to fix this one way or another or go to jail trying. One day when he went to high school to pick up his daughters after school, he stood out in front of the high school waiting for them standing there WITH HIS UNDERWEAR ON THE OUTSIDE OF HIS JEANS. His girls were horrified and were morbidly embarassed and their classmates stood there and laughed. The dad just told them "Why are you getting on my case? It's just clothes! Why are you making such a big deal about what I wear?"
He was not arrested and had very little problem with what his daughters wore to high school after that.

I grew up where they were burning the bra's and short skirts then.
Now, if your kids don't do it, they bring others who do.
Also, a couple of my grand-daughters I wish would dress a little better. I bought em clothes, they don't wear. Just give em money now and let em go.
I usually keep to myself, but one of the gals that one of my sons brought over a couple years ago, was way over doing it. So i mentioned something like "you should put on a little more, your asking for trouble, don't you care?" She blew her cigarette smoke at me, turned around and [censored] on me. Seems to do no good saying something, might get disrespect for trying. I give up.

It's difficult to judge just by how girls dress these days.
Just because they wear 'skimpy' dresses they can't be categorized as sluts or whatever. One has to look at their behavior, background, etc.

Opposite is also true; I am sure There are sluts that dress very conservatively. So just because someone makes their children dress 'nice' and 'decent' that's no proof of 'goodness'

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
This thread is useless without pics.

Why don't you have a seat right over there...

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I am not going to quote any person in particular here as I am making a general comment on a modern day philosophy/attitude when it comes to kids that just disgusts me. Something was said in this thread that I have heard before that is a prime example of this modern day apathy parents have when it comes to their kids. When I hear this stuff it sets my teeth on edge. That would be to "pick your battles" when it comes to your kids.
33.gif

That is the biggest pile of horse dung I have ever heard. YOU are the parent and they are the kid. What you say goes. Period and end of story. If you choose not to stand firm you are in effect condoning poor and unacceptable behavior because you do not have the resolve and back bone to set guidelines and rules for your kids and enforce them. It is what is wrong with this country today. No one will simply say that is unacceptable and you will not do it. Too easy to disapprove but allow it anyway.

If you think your teenage daughter dressing like a prostitute is ok that is your decision and is a different conversation. However, when you say it isn't a battle you want to fight, to me, that says you don't approve but you don't want to get into a hassle about it. THAT is just so screwed up it isn't funny.

Not allowing your teenage daughter to dress like a hoochie momma IS a battle you should want to fight. There is only ONE reason to dress like the girls the OP talks of dress and that is to attract boys and be sexual. That is NOT acceptable for a teenager. It shouldn't be anyway.

Sorry to rant. I just lose my mind when I hear people talking about something not being a battle they want to fight with their kids. That is a cop out and it is just wrong. Be the adult you are and make them be the kids they are.

Nuff said.

Excellent post. I agree 100%. I completely understand how you feel. Unfortunately, many 'parents' today fail on nearly all levels....as society continues to go further down that dangerous path.

Perhaps just remember, they have the FREEDOM to dress that way.

Would you prefer something else?

I dunno....these things kind of wax and wane. I graduated in the early 70's which was really the end of the sixties, if you know what I mean. My school abandoned the dress code and young women would commonly go to school in halter tops and shorts. And those were the Mormon girls. It wasn't unusual to see a teenage girl riding on a bike in a two piece bathing suit in the warm weather on weekends. There were plenty of bare midriffs and short skirts.

It didn't hurt anything. I'd say that teenage loneliness and depression are way, way worse problems than anything discussed on this thread. You don't see a lot of parental indignation and concern about that.

I was one of those isolated types. I consoled myself with the idea that soon I would go off to college and get away from those "small town" girls. I had no way of knowing it at the time, but those "small town" girls were the best-looking group of females I've ever seen in my life as was proven to me when I went back for high school reunions (as a much better adjusted person).

Originally Posted By: mikered30

BAHAHAHAHAH!

imchrishansen.jpg

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I'm more disturbed by how often misogynistic threads get started on this forum.

I disagree.

Would you let your daughter dress trashy ?

Wife or girlfriend I can understand, but teen daughters ?

You just gotta remember your age and know that it's not appropriate to look at girls that age.

I know it's a constant struggle. I try my best to keep my eyes fixed to the ground and not look up.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: mikered30

BAHAHAHAHAH!

I am glad someone got it.

I don't agree with most of societies made up rules on promiscuity, marriage and how you should dress but I've found its better not to mention why.

I went to a party for a 13 year old girl to see an adult friend that I hadn't seen for a while (a long story). It was obvious the girl was part of the "pretty girl" click. The girls there had full on makeup with mini-skirts, hair done...the whole works. They looked about 17-18...not 13.

I think they were way too young to be dressing like that. If they go to the mall or other public places, they will get a lot of attention from people older than they.

What I remember from my high school days of the circa early '70's is that a number of girls from respectable homes got on the bus dressed one way, and by the time we arrived at school their skirts were 3 inches shorter and they had three layers of makeup on. Going home, the opposite happened.

My point is that many heavy handed, rule forcing parents THINK they have control of their teenagers, but in reality they do not. So, don't be the first to "toss that first stone".

Parenting also involves awareness and developing trust and responsibility from both parties. Even then, sometimes we fail/failed. Anyone who doesn't admit this is delusional.

Adding to NHHEMI's rant, my pet peeve are parents that consider themselves "best friends" with their children. No, you are supposed to be a parent. There is a difference.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You just gotta remember your age and know that it's not appropriate to look at girls that age.

I know it's a constant struggle. I try my best to keep my eyes fixed to the ground and not look up.

True. I went to a graduation 2 weeks ago for my friends oldest boy and was somewhat in shock seeing some of the girls there. I can see how it is hard to look away and remember these are just kids. But me and my buddy had to laugh at a few of them crossing the stage wearing heals that were probably 6 inches tall and trying not to twist their ankle or fall down.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I'm more disturbed by how often misogynistic threads get started on this forum.

How is it misogynistic to want your daughter to act like she has some self respect?

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
My point is that many heavy handed, rule forcing parents THINK they have control of their teenagers, but in reality they do not. So, don't be the first to "toss that first stone".

Parenting also involves awareness and developing trust and responsibility from both parties. Even then, sometimes we fail/failed. Anyone who doesn't admit this is delusional.

Adding to NHHEMI's rant, my pet peeve are parents that consider themselves "best friends" with their children. No, you are supposed to be a parent. There is a difference.

+1, and I have seen a situation or two where the "best friends" thing has not worked out so well. Parenting philosophies sure do seem to change with the generations. I get pretty tired of hearing from my parents about how differently my kids are being brought up when compared to me. I resist the strong temptation to tell them about issues I have had to overcome, or still work on, due to the way I was brought up. There was no abuse here, just a lot of miscommunication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back