Supertech base oil changes

That’s why most members here go by approvals rather than a PDS or SDS or an analysis. The consumer analysis reports will tell you how much of an element is present but they don’t tell you the specifics of that element. There are different types of molybdenum, calcium, zinc etc.

Just seems like Supertech isn't always the clear-cut value winner these days. I use 5w-30 dexos for two older vehicles and right now Walmart has QS full synthetic high mileage for the same price as supertech, about $19 per jug. Why use Supertech in this instance?

This may be true but there seems to be a lesser quality add pack as well. I know that some here will say you can't go by what a PDS or voa has listed but if that is the case then why do companies even have them? Why do many here post them? A PDS and voa may not tell you everything but it can give you an idea of how good an oil might be. If you take a PDS of the STAM from a short time ago you find higher additive contents such as moly and boron, even zinc. That is not so now. They have been lowered quite a bit. While it may still meet the API standards, it doesn't seem to me to be what it used to be. I have used ST off and on for years and have been using it for the past few. I am just wondering if it is the high performer it once was. The buyout of Warren Distribution/Warren Performance Packaging(Products) seems to be when things started to change.
Read up on the differences between SP and SN.

Would anyone here consider a "re-refined" oil to be as good in quality as a virgin stock-produced oil?
First we need to see crude oil then ponder. The re refined could have all the lighter fractions already boiled off , we seem to be stuck on Noack numbers here. Probably like anything else the end result most likely will be the quality of the re refining process , the quality of the add package and the care of the employees and the management.

Read up on the differences between SP and SN.
Why do you assume that someone needs to read something? We have heard or seen time and time again people here questioning an oil company. We have seen where it has been implied that a company will use a more robust oil for testing only to weaken it to lesser level to sell to the consumer. If you don't agree with me that is fine but don't assume I need to read something. If anything we need to be wary of things we read when it comes to what a company tells us. The new SP standard has been researched for some time but there is no real test that compares to real world driving. I just wonder if SP is a standard that is more for short term results than for those that are interested in longevity.

That’s why most members here go by approvals rather than a PDS or SDS or an analysis. The consumer analysis reports will tell you how much of an element is present but they don’t tell you the specifics of that element. There are different types of molybdenum, calcium, zinc etc.
I understand that but when an oil company that is private and known to make store brand oils starts changing their formulations, I think that that is something to take into consideration. Like I said, I have used ST off and on for years and recently for some time. But when a company that had been
making the oil for years gets bought out and formulas change one I think would have to wonder if the changes are for the best. Personally I would like to continue to use ST because I thought they made a very good oil that was as good as the name brands. I just question if the quality is the same as it was.

Last edited:
I understand that but when an oil company that is private and known to make store brand oils starts changing their formulations, I think that that is something to take into consideration. Like I said, I have used ST off and on for years and recently for some time. But when a company that had been
making the oil for years gets bought out and formulas change one I think would have to wonder if the changes are for the best. Personally I would like to continue to use ST because I thought they made a very good oil that was as good as the name brands. I just question if the quality is the same as it was.
What should we take into consideration that is known to adversely affect the performance?

Why do you assume that someone needs to read something? We have heard or seen time and time again people here questioning an oil company. We have seen where it has been implied that a company will use a more robust oil for testing only to weaken it to lesser level to sell to the consumer. If you don't agree with me that is fine but don't assume I need to read something. If anything we need to be wary of things we read when it comes to what a company tells us. The new SP standard has been researched for some time but there is no real test that compares to real world driving. I just wonder if SP is a standard that is more for short term results than for those that are interested in longevity.
You are asking questions that I learned the answers to through self research, hence my original suggestion. The rest of your comments are conjecture. Good luck!

This may be true but there seems to be a lesser quality add pack as well. I know that some here will say you can't go by what a PDS or voa has listed but if that is the case then why do companies even have them? Why do many here post them? A PDS and voa may not tell you everything but it can give you an idea of how good an oil might be. If you take a PDS of the STAM from a short time ago you find higher additive contents such as moly and boron, even zinc. That is not so now. They have been lowered quite a bit. While it may still meet the API standards, it doesn't seem to me to be what it used to be. I have used ST off and on for years and have been using it for the past few. I am just wondering if it is the high performer it once was. The buyout of Warren Distribution/Warren Performance Packaging(Products) seems to be when things started to change.
Simple answer: don’t buy ST oils. My work and I myself have used Safety Kleen rerefined oils before without issue. if ST Oil is APO SN, or SP what’s the big deal?

Sorry to rant but I don’t understand your whole post.

I use Castrol Edge in my car. I like how Castrol uses Titanium and the VOA/UOA shows that.

Is saving a couple bucks worth this headache of questioning the quality of the oil.

Just use M1/Castrol/valvoline/pennzoil and call it a day

Any text now in italic bold was done by me.
Curious about the "outperforms"?!

From the EPA

Managing, Reusing, and Recycling Used Oil​

Used oil is exactly what its name implies: any petroleum-based or synthetic oil that has been used. Oil keeps our cars, lawnmowers, and many other machines running smoothly. However, during normal use, impurities such as dirt, metal scrapings, water, or chemicals, can get mixed in with the oil, so that in time, the oil no longer performs well. Eventually, this used oil must be replaced with virgin or re-refined oil to do the job correctly.

If you are one of the many people who change their own motor oil, you too need to know how to properly manage the used oil. After all, used oil from one oil change can contaminate one million gallons of fresh water — a years’ supply for 50 people! When handling used oil, be sure to take these key points into consideration:

• Used motor oil is insoluble, persistent, and can contain toxic chemicals and heavy metals.
  • It’s slow to degrade.
  • It sticks to everything from beach sand to bird feathers.
  • It’s a major source of oil contamination of waterways and can result in pollution of drinking water sources.
Are you a “Do-It Yourselfer” —do you change the oil in your car at home? On average, about four million people reuse motor oil as a lubricant for other equipment or take it to a recycling facility. If you plan to recycle your used oil, take care not to spill any when you collect it and place it in a leak-proof can or container.

Check with local automobile maintenance facilities, waste collectors, and government waste officials to find out when and where you can drop off your used oil for recycling. Don’t forget to drain and recycle used oil filters as well—usually you can drop off the filters at the same collection centers where you deposit used oil.

The Benefits of Reusing and Recycling Used Oil​

Recycling and reusing used motor oil is preferable to disposal and can provide great environmental benefits. Recycled used motor oil can be re-refined into new oil, processed into fuel oils, and used as raw materials for the petroleum industry.

Used oils such as engine lubrication oil, hydraulic fluids, and gear oils used in cars, bikes, or lawnmowers can pollute the environment if they are not recycled or disposed of properly. Used oil must be managed properly by local waste management authorities or automotive repair shops to prevent contaminating the environment. Used oil filters pose similar waste concerns. If properly drained, they can be safely recycled or disposed.

Some of the many reasons to reuse and recycle used oil include:

• Recycling used oil keeps it from polluting soil and water.
  • Motor oil does not wear out—it just gets dirty—so recycling it saves a valuable resource.
  • Less energy is required to produce a gallon of re-refined base stock than a base stock from crude oil.
  • One gallon of used motor oil provides the same 2.5 quarts of lubricating oil as 42 gallons of crude oil.

How it Works: Recycling Used Oil and Oil Filters​

Used oil can be re-refined into lubricants, processed into fuel oils, and used as raw materials for the refining and petrochemical industries. Additionally, used oil filters contain reusable scrap metal, which steel producers can reuse as scrap feed.

So, how is used oil recycled? Note that the most preferred option, re-refined oil—must meet the same stringent refining, compounding, and performance standards as virgin oil for use in automotive, heavy-duty diesel, and other internal combustion engines, and hydraulic fluids and gear oils. Extensive laboratory testing and field studies conclude that re-refined oil is equivalent to virgin oil—it passes all prescribed tests and, in some situations, even outperforms virgin oil.

The same consumers and businesses that use regular oil also can use re-refined oil, since re-refining simply re-processes used oil into new, high-quality lubricating oil. Any vehicle maintenance facilities, automobile owners, and other machinery maintenance operations that use oil also can use re-refined oil. In some cases, fleet maintenance facilities that use large volumes of oil arrange to reuse the same oil that they send to be re-refined—a true closed recycling loop.

Last edited:
I have been getting PDS for Supertech All Mileage oils from Highline Warren and in the 5w30 version CAS#64742-58-1 is 65-85% of its makeup compared to a PDS I got not long ago for 10w40 and its top CAS#64742-54-7 is at 45-70%. This CAS is from my understanding grp.3. Correct me if I am wrong but what I was able to find out is that 64742-58-1is basically (spent) recycled oil. If this is the case then WH may be getting less if any of the high performing grp. 2 from Exxon Mobil as they once did. While there may not be anything wrong with recycled oil,is it as good as the XOM they may no longer be using. As others and myself have wondered, is ST being made cheaper.
Wanted to ask you a favor. Could you check the PDS for SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30, and see if you see any indication that it's using (spent) recycled oil?

Would anyone here consider a "re-refined" oil to be as good in quality as a virgin stock-produced oil?
Yes its because it is refined as you would refine crude.

Re-refined base oils are mostly hydroprocessed Group II oils but though Isomerization it can also become Group III oil.

Re-refining can be slightly more costly because the used oil is usually a mix of engine oil, gear lube, and ATF, and has to be filtered through about three or more filtering stages before going to the distillation unit.

Blending of oils that use re-refined oils is usually a blend of refined crude and re-refined oil with some synthetic components to get to a target formulation..

Last edited:
approvals don't tell you what's in the oil anyway. Approvals are meeting minimum standard dictated by the certifying authority.

High school chemistry refresher (and chemistry was always my worst science subject)

elements are at the most pure form, see Periodic Table, and that's what UOA's tell you, hence the section is also referred to "Elemental Analysis"

1692155165257.png

But when the elements react with other elements, they form compounds, as there are different types of compounds composed of molybdenum, calcium, zinc, etc. that goes into oil additive package

Last edited:
Man, used to know every element and had memorized LOTS of them. Now they look like a foreign language ... Kind of sad!

It’s not just Highline Warren. Looks like Shell is working with RRBO as well and I would guess most oil companies are going down that same path.

"A complex combination of hydrocarbons obtained by treating a spent lube oil with hydrogen in the presence of a catalyst. It consists predominantly of hydrocarbons having carbon numbers predominantly in the range of C15 through C50."

IE re-refined. They don't just dump dirty oil into their refining units, it is cleaned and likely treated first, and then that clean stock goes through just like all the other feedstocks they might use. There used to be a few people kicking around here that could better explain it. Perhaps @MolaKule could speak to it.
With the number of people running 3-5k intervals in decent driving conditions on here I'd put their used synthetic in my Toyota and drive another 3-5k on it without re-refining it 🤣

Back