Supertech base oil changes

I have been getting PDS for Supertech All Mileage oils from Highline Warren and in the 5w30 version CAS#64742-58-1 is 65-85% of its makeup compared to a PDS I got not long ago for 10w40 and its top CAS#64742-54-7 is at 45-70%. This CAS is from my understanding grp.3. Correct me if I am wrong but what I was able to find out is that 64742-58-1is basically (spent) recycled oil. If this is the case then WH may be getting less if any of the high performing grp. 2 from Exxon Mobil as they once did. While there may not be anything wrong with recycled oil,is it as good as the XOM they may no longer be using. As others and myself have wondered, is ST being made cheaper.

I have been getting PDS for Supertech All Mileage oils from Highline Warren and in the 5w30 version CAS#64742-58-1 is 65-85% of its makeup compared to a PDS I got not long ago for 10w40 and its top CAS#64742-54-7 is at 45-70%. This CAS is from my understanding grp.3. Correct me if I am wrong but what I was able to find out is that 64742-58-1is basically (spent) recycled oil. If this is the case then WH may be getting less if any of the high performing grp. 2 from Exxon Mobil as they once did. While there may not be anything wrong with recycled oil,is it as good as the XOM they may no longer be using. As others and myself have wondered, is ST being made cheaper.
A more accurate statement may be 're-refined' as opposed to recycled.

Just like the old Valvoline NextGen. Basically using old oil as the feedstock for the refining process. Saves a few steps in the beginning and of course requires less virgin oil.

I have no proof for your claim but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Supertech is or once was as good as if not better as many of the name brands and used.by several here.You can contact HW and ask for the PDS and MSDS of their oils, they are very cooperative.

A more accurate statement may be 're-refined' as opposed to recycled.

Just like the old Valvoline NextGen. Basically using old oil as the feedstock for the refining process. Saves a few steps in the beginning and of course requires less virgin oil.
Maybe but it is called "spent" in the CAS description.I think that if you are buying re-refined oil then it should be a lot cheaper than what is is.

Maybe but it is called "spent" in the CAS description.
"A complex combination of hydrocarbons obtained by treating a spent lube oil with hydrogen in the presence of a catalyst. It consists predominantly of hydrocarbons having carbon numbers predominantly in the range of C15 through C50."

IE re-refined. They don't just dump dirty oil into their refining units, it is cleaned and likely treated first, and then that clean stock goes through just like all the other feedstocks they might use. There used to be a few people kicking around here that could better explain it. Perhaps @MolaKule could speak to it.

"A complex combination of hydrocarbons obtained by treating a spent lube oil with hydrogen in the presence of a catalyst. It consists predominantly of hydrocarbons having carbon numbers predominantly in the range of C15 through C50."

IE re-refined. They don't just dump dirty oil into their refining units, it is cleaned and likely treated first, and then that clean stock goes through just like all the other feedstocks they might use. There used to be a few people kicking around here that could better explain it. Perhaps @MolaKule could speak to it.
I know it isn't dirty oil being re- used and or re-bottled. I am only saying since it re-refined it should cheaper than it is. Warren that merged into Highline used to have a refinery that refined used oil. Maybe that is what this oil or part of it is coming from.

I have a feeling that if you massage or re-refine something old or used it won't be as good or as strong as the original ... like turning rotors! lol
Just a gut feeling and nothing scientific! :alien:

Can you smell the previous oxidation when you open the bottle? :ROFLMAO:

Supertech is or once was as good as if not better as many of the name brands and used.by several here.You can contact HW and ask for the PDS and MSDS of their oils, they are very cooperative.
Can you give me a contact? I have tried twice using the Contact link at the bottom of this page:
and never got a response from them.

I'm specifically looking for the latest Super Tech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W30, Dexos1 Gen3 PDS. Maybe you can get it for me and share it here?

I have a feeling that if you massage or re-refine something old or used it won't be as good or as strong as the original ... like turning rotors! lol
Just a gut feeling and nothing scientific! :alien:

Can you smell the previous oxidation when you open the bottle? :ROFLMAO:
Re refined oil is more like taking a bunch of scrap rotors, melting them down at a steel mill to make a fresh batch of iron, and then making new rotors. Turning rotors would be like….. filtering some used oil really really good and rebottling it 😜

I have no proof for your claim but sometimes you get what you pay for
That might be a nomination for post of the year. I hadn't thought of that but if I remember some time ago that was Valvoline doing that with those green bottles. Everything has a price and I was just reading the back of @High Performance Lubricants Synthetic Engine Cleaner quart bottle and saw once again the reading of "commodity" oils and specifications. Trying to get all of X,Y and Z in a jug,meet a spec or demand,meet a price point, and make profit margin.....good luck. I asked long ago if a oil that meets the spec only has to in the bottle. You pour it out,in to a crankcase and with a bit of driving it's already not where it was.

Would anyone here consider a "re-refined" oil to be as good in quality as a virgin stock-produced oil?
Great question! I had once heard that it had already been through the refining stage but I don't know how the science all works. What companies ARE doing it and what is the gain/reason. What companies DONT and why not. I would look to the major player like ExxonMobil but also to some of the boutique brands and just simply ask why they haven't done it. For all things in this world that happens remains a rhyme and reason. It might be more cost effective for some to do it and others not to. I don't know but I am guessing it's about image and optics.
My final thoughts are isn't that what is happening at Lucas Oil? Take the oil and separate out and sell the "crud" as a stabilizer?

Don't think of the re-refined oil as making the ST oils "cheaper".
Think of these base stocks as helping keep the oils from becoming even more expensive.

Cost savings efforts are not always about making things "cheaper" (less desirable), but attempts to keep the retail prices from skyrocketing. These are moves to offset the otherwise escalation of pricing due to inflation, etc.

Don't think of the re-refined oil as making the ST oils "cheaper".
Think of these base stocks as helping keep the oils from becoming even more expensive.

Cost savings efforts are not always about making things "cheaper" (less desirable), but attempts to keep the retail prices from skyrocketing. These are moves to offset the otherwise escalation of pricing due to inflation, etc.
This may be true but there seems to be a lesser quality add pack as well. I know that some here will say you can't go by what a PDS or voa has listed but if that is the case then why do companies even have them? Why do many here post them? A PDS and voa may not tell you everything but it can give you an idea of how good an oil might be. If you take a PDS of the STAM from a short time ago you find higher additive contents such as moly and boron, even zinc. That is not so now. They have been lowered quite a bit. While it may still meet the API standards, it doesn't seem to me to be what it used to be. I have used ST off and on for years and have been using it for the past few. I am just wondering if it is the high performer it once was. The buyout of Warren Distribution/Warren Performance Packaging(Products) seems to be when things started to change.

Back