Specialty Oil Brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
How come the industry standard tests don't result in industry standard certifications?

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
All one needs is to prove its 180 degrees from reality, no one ever can, only heresy, marketing and meaningless words.
Question from the poster, out of smaller "boutique companies" which would you choose and why?

Answer, Amsoil, why? The ONLY one of the companies that back up their claims with test results which includes their competition. That is why.

I only wish to god, when people debate oil, real test data with a whole bunch of brands compared equally would be presented as proof but none ever is, just theory and marketing. Again, at least Amsoil runs tests of their oil WITH THEIR COMPETITION and publishes the results. THE ONLY company to do this.

Ummm ... Amsoil selects some tests from the lubrication industry, runs and publishes the test results of its oil and that of its competitors. The only company that does so.
Not sure why you think those tests should be anymore then what they are.
Bottom line is, the API rating of the oil, no matter the brand, if it is what your engine calls for, your good to go.
But, that wasnt the OP question.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

No you didnt. Maybe you should "quote" what you say that you quoted me directly on.

Dude....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3978467/Re:_Specialty_Oil_Brand#Post3978467

The brands you mentioned, RP, Motul, Amsoil, Redline are "niche" branded oils and your engine will never know the difference on which one you pick from the bunch or the bunch from huge companies that all carry the same API approval....

But, to answer your question, my vote would go to AMSOIL as they are the ONLY one to produce test results of their oils against others using industry standard tests. I know people knock those tests but bottom line is no one else does it, nor can because they cant beat Amsoil, the true innovator in the industry, started in 1974 and a small tiny company compared to someone like Motul.

I dont use any of the above oils, just answering your question if I did and why.

21.gif

Where is the quote of what you said I said? You know what, stop ruining this guys thread. You took my words "true innovator" and turned it into something else. I didnt say true inventor and you didnt direct quote anything I said, or you would be able to show me your direct quote. Your taking my post, turning it around without quoting what you are talking about, bold type, underlined but no quote, know why? Because you didnt quote me on anything.

In that box is your direct quote. It's like copy and paste of your exact words.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: SR5
All you probably need is a window decal and maybe a T-Shirt to wear to the local hot rod or car show. Then you can just have M1 or Castrol Edge in the sump. Last time I went to a car show they didn't request a UOA on entry.

When I was a boy in the '70s, I had a jeans jacket with a giant "Hooker Headers" patch on the back...I saw that patch and thought it was just the grooviest, bought it and had mom iron it on for me. I was walking with friends once and a pack of nasty teenagers came the other way...one turned to look at my jacket and sneered, "Hey kid, do you even know what headers ARE??"
I honestly had never even thought of it...I had to fess up that I didn't, and the teens AND my friends all laughed at me. I think I punched all my "friends" in their arms later to get back at them.
Maybe I should have asked my dad about putting headers on one of our Comets or Mavericks???

Good story, and I'm sure the denim jacket with Hooker Headers patch was way cool, especially for the 70's. You just needed to know what it was. As a teenager, some lessons in life have to be learnt the hard way, it's all part of growing up.

My son is only 5, so a Sinclair Dino shirt would be just a green Dino T-shirt, nothing more. He likes dino's, and dad likes oil, and very few people here would make the connection.

Now if your dad put some Hooker Headers on your family car, pure street cred.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I haven't come across one, but in any case, it couldn't hurt to ask the company for some particulars. They may be forthcoming, they may not be. As for base stock, unless they advertise or tell us or someone runs a very expensive test, we won't really know.

If it's a good price, and meets your specifications, I'd say run it. Walmart Canada, Canadian Tire, and Partsource are way too interested in pushing $50+ a jug synthetic and $28+ a jug conventional from the big names, and giving us their stupid little sales. A good price on a brand or tier that is more obscure in Canadian retail is a good bonus.

Well, this thread is certainly back, didn't mean to cause a stir.

Enough bickering, back on topic. I just picked up these.
grin.gif

At $4.99/bottle with today's CAD dollar in the gutter it's a heck of a deal. They had 0W-20/5W-20 for a dollar more, $5.99/bottle which is the cheapest I've ever seen synthetic 0W-20 in Montreal.

Besides, that hellhound logo is very cool. They'll be going in the G35 at some point this spring after I take it out of winter storage.

Last edited:
Not sure of your point other then you do not agree with me calling Amsoil an innovator, that is fine, you are entitled to your thoughts.

I think they did innovate, but we don't need to give them too much credit for it. They also did help make synthetic oils more mainstream, despite their odd marketing system, and their odd marketing system was innovative, at least with respect to motor oils, and does offer advantages to a lot of people.

What I'm saying, though, is they haven't been innovative with coming up with their own base stocks (GTL might be considered innovative) or being ahead of the curve on viscosity options (Ravenol's 0w-16 might be considered innovative). Amsoil needs to come up with a long drain, low SAPS oil for North American E10 non-ULSG and North American style engine tunes. Now, if they could do that, that would be innovative.

Originally Posted By: NemesisBob
At $4.99/bottle with today's CAD dollar in the gutter it's a heck of a deal. They had 0W-20/5W-20 for a dollar more, $5.99/bottle which is the cheapest I've ever seen synthetic 0W-20 in Montreal.

That looks to be a fine choice. Now, you're going to have me all interested in checking out the local Partsource stores to see what they've got laying around.

But, you just showed how stupid the Canadian consumer is by your smart purchase. You bought a synthetic at $4.99 a bottle, by the one litre bottle size. If Canadians had any common sense in the least, there would be a few million sump fulls of AGIP 5w-30 running this winter.

Note to Shell: If AGIP, which no no one considers low rent, can find shelf space at Partsource, and sell for $4.99 a litre, there's no reason you cannot put PUP there, and do so without charging $15 a litre.

For some strange reason, Eni oil is always behind the counter and you need to ask for it at PartSource. It's never on the shelf for everyone to see.

Not sure of your point other then you do not agree with me calling Amsoil an innovator, that is fine, you are entitled to your thoughts.

I think they did innovate, but we don't need to give them too much credit for it. They also did help make synthetic oils more mainstream, despite their odd marketing system, and their odd marketing system was innovative, at least with respect to motor oils, and does offer advantages to a lot of people.

What I'm saying, though, is they haven't been innovative with coming up with their own base stocks (GTL might be considered innovative) or being ahead of the curve on viscosity options (Ravenol's 0w-16 might be considered innovative). Amsoil needs to come up with a long drain, low SAPS oil for North American E10 non-ULSG and North American style engine tunes. Now, if they could do that, that would be innovative.

That looks to be a fine choice. Now, you're going to have me all interested in checking out the local Partsource stores to see what they've got laying around.

But, you just showed how stupid the Canadian consumer is by your smart purchase. You bought a synthetic at $4.99 a bottle, by the one litre bottle size. If Canadians had any common sense in the least, there would be a few million sump fulls of AGIP 5w-30 running this winter.

Note to Shell: If AGIP, which no no one considers low rent, can find shelf space at Partsource, and sell for $4.99 a litre, there's no reason you cannot put PUP there, and do so without charging $15 a litre.

Yeah, so true trying to buy one liter bottles at a decent price is frustrating here. Not a fan of the jugs as many sales here are in only 4 liters or 4.4L and that means I need to buy an extra 1 liter bottle which kills any deal. The G35 needs just under 5L. We don't even have Partsource here in QC, bought these at a indie parts shop about 30 minutes drive north of Montreal. This being said with our dollar in the gutter the oil bottled in the US will surely have to go up in price negating any effect of cheap oil.

Last edited:
Well, now I'll have to ask, and see if I get a funny look, or if they have it.
wink.gif
In any case, the 4.73 L or 5 L SOPUS jugs work great in the G37, but Imperial Oil loves 4.4 L and 4 L as you note, and Wakefield does weird things, too.

Well, now I'll have to ask, and see if I get a funny look, or if they have it.
wink.gif
In any case, the 4.73 L or 5 L SOPUS jugs work great in the G37, but Imperial Oil loves 4.4 L and 4 L as you note, and Wakefield does weird things, too.

Yeah the SOPUS jugs work great but sometimes you just want to try something else. If you do go to Partsource, ask if they have it and post back with their price as I'm curious.
smile.gif

back on topic.

Besides, that hellhound logo is very cool.

Good Work Bob !! That is a good oil at a great price, and uber cool too.

The prices in Canada ( and the exchange rate) are similar to Australia, so to get such a rare and exotic oil at that price is a great deal.

I think Eni / Agip make a good oil, as their Euro PC series earn specs like MB 229.5 & Porsche A40, so they must know what they are doing. The XL4AM series are full synthetic, API SN & GF-5, so perfect for many regular (non-Euro) cars.

You probably got this link to their oil brochure before
https://www.eni.com/en_NA/attachments/pdf/isint-brochure.pdf

Again, good job, I'm surprised people aren't lining up around the corner to get this oil at that price. I would be, and I would be asking for a HellHound sticker for the car window.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Again, good job, I'm surprised people aren't lining up around the corner to get this oil at that price. I would be, and I would be asking for a HellHound sticker for the car window.

That gives us another indicator of the markup on oil in Canada. And people wonder why I don't shop Canadian Tire or Walmart for the oil sales, waiting for them to decide we're worthy of something less than a 100% markup. Good grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back