Oil Info Overload 0W-20

Purchased at Walmart or auto part stores, I always recommend the long distance oils.
Besides what Rogueman entered here ^^^^ regarding extra performance oils, you can be well protected using Quaker State Ultimate (EP) Valvoline EP, Fram EP and even Supertech 20k Advanced (EP).

If you ever get the itch and want to spend more on boutique oils, there's Red Line, Liqui-Moly, Ravenol, Amsoil, HPL.

If I were buying for that Toyota at Walmart, I'd get the Mobil-1 EP Triple Action oil. Both of my vehicles think of it as Korean Filet Mignon.
Korean Filet Mignon!!?? Hahaha!! I’m going to use that one!

Honestly, like everyone said, if you’re doing 5,000 mile intervals any oil that meets the specifications will do great in that Lexus. I’d simply shop around for sales and rebates (they’re few and far between nowadays), or you could just buy the house brand stuff (Amazon Basics, Kirkland, Super Tech, NAPA, Amalie).

But, I’m sure you already know that, what you really want to know is what is the best oil for your vehicle…and that will be an internal struggle that only you will be able to answer. Or Mobil1 😊😊

Has analysis paralysis...comes to BITOG for help. Leaves requiring therapy from 10 pages of various recommendations.

In before Euro oils are recommended opps too late!
@dnewton3 simplified things pretty much, but that was ignored even though he’s basing recommendations off thousands of UOAs across untold engine types.

There’s a reason for specifications & certifications. Once those basics are satisfied, the rest is just statistical noise. For stock engines it literally is as simple as reading the OM and picking any oil that meets the manufacturer’s recommendations.

@dnewton3 simplified things pretty much, but that was ignored even though he’s basing recommendations off thousands of UOAs across untold engine types.

There’s a reason for specifications & certifications. Once those basics are satisfied, the rest is just statistical noise. For stock engines it literally is as simple as reading the OM and picking any oil that meets the manufacturer’s recommendations.
8b71sf.jpg

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 is one of the 'thinner' 30 weights on the market (just slightly above the 20 weight upper limit) and it's what I'd use in a vehicle which spec'd 0w20 if I decided to go with a 5w30...unless I lived in a location where the 0W made a difference (like the North Pole or northern Canada).

Reactions: wlk
Instead of running cheaper oil at 5k intervals, you could run HPL at 10k intervals. It's not only better at protection, but it's been shown to do an amazing job of keeping an engine clean. Won't cost you any extra to do it that way either.

Instead of running cheaper oil at 5k intervals, you could run HPL at 10k intervals. It's not only better at protection, but it's been shown to do an amazing job of keeping an engine clean. Won't cost you any extra to do it that way either.
It would be a shame if the Lexus' engine blows and they ask for oil change records and they see a non-ILSAC GF-6A certified oil.

Back