Help me select oil for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

I recently purchased a 2020 Ford Explorer ST with 80K miles on it. I absolutely love this car and want to keep it for a very long time. I'm a complete novice when it comes to engine repairs but I try to teach myself along the way. I do my own oil changes at the military's auto hobby shop religiously every 5K miles.

A friend at work recommended that I use Royal Purple for my car. Would this be worth it or what would be the ideal full synthetic brand to offer the most protection? Thanks in advance.

I'm not on the Welcoming Committee but, WELCOME!
The first thing you'll learn is that there is no ideal (as in best) oil.
The vehicle, your usage and your environment will all play a part. That you know about 5K OCIs is good.

There are many full synthetics out there which likely can meet your needs adequately.

edit: Please supply some general info regarding your situation. Which engine is in your ST? Roughly, where do you live (for climate). Can you describe your anticipated usage i.e. trip length / frequency, city vs. country driving, any towing. Assessing the condition of your NTY vehicle can help on many fronts, i.e. was your Explo abused or well maintained.

Last edited:
providing you get Royal Purple on sale,its a fine oil suggest the HMX,and presume you use 5w-30

If cost is not a factor, HPL no VII 5w30. I use it in my big turbo Fiesta ST and I’ve had good results with it. But it is expensive

If cost is a thing, Ecoboosts love Castrol. Gold jug Castrol edge 5w30 would be my recommendation

But any major off the shelf synthetic API SP oil should do the trick.

Whatever oil you use change it no more than 5k miles or whenever the oil stinks of fuel.

Hello. I hope you are prepared for what is coming lol. It's like the wild wild west in here sometimes when someone asks about "what's a good oil in my xxxx"

You doing changes every 5k means you can run anything they sell at WalMart.

You can run oil that costs 100$ per change, or you can run oil that costs less than 25$ per change and at 5k intervals not much of it will be better enough than any other choice you make.

Peruse the used oil analysis part of the forum and tell me when I'm wrong :)

I've yet to see one that say's "this oil is not good for your ecoboost, you should change to XYZ"

Fan favorites on here are HPL, Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol, Valvoline, SuperTech/house brands, AMSOIL, and Redline. Royal Purple zealots exist, but they mostly hang out in their hovels and keep their shields ready for when the rest of the forum comes after them with pitchforks, torches ablaze.

Twin turbo Ecoboost... enough said. Buy the BEST oil and the BEST filters you can afford.

HPL is going to be your friend here.

Back